Vipers at the Biltmore! August 22-23! More info!

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
John, we still plan to go but wish me luck in getting my snake from the body shop by then. You can read about my lovely experience in hitting a deer last week in the Gen 1 and 2 section. I can't even begin to tell you about the sick feeling in my stomach when bambi jumped in front of my GTS. That explosion of fur, plastic, and glass will be a sound I won't forget for a long time.

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Uh oh, that doesn't sound good, good luck getting that taken care of. The only deer I hit in the Viper was already dead and on the ground, and that wasn't too fun either. Keep us updated!

Hope you have a good body shop - if not, consider Kenny Hawkins in Raleigh, a Viper owner and body shop owner.

Nyoka

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I ran over a dead deer in PA last year in my '08 Coupe doing about 75, dead of night (coming from the Biltmore, coincidentally). $32 to replace a sacrifice strip under the front nose and an hour to clean up, including removal of a rib cage caught up in the diff. Otherwise uneventful: loud "thump", car spat it out the back almost without any movement. I was lucky.

dodgefever

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To be honest, I was very surprised at how little damage was done. Fate was very kind to me. 1MPH faster and she would have been jumping in the passenger window, and 1MPH slower and I would have caught her with the entire nose and probably blown the airbags, broken windshield, etc.
What was interesting was I had considered in the past what would happen in the event of a deer strike. I had always thought, with the nose so low, it would be dangerous because it would simply take it's legs out and throw it across the hood to the windshield. As fate would have it, that is exactly what happened. When she jumped out, the nose took out her legs and flipped her onto the hood. She landed just in front of the A/C grill in the hood, then she slid VERY hard against the windshield. Her head whipped around and slammed into the windshield in front of me. My daughter ALWAYS takes the ride with me when I cruise that route because she likes to look at all the horse farms in the Chesapeake and Virginia Beach country side. I have about a 30 mile loop I do from my house. That day, she had something to do and was not with me. The "what if's" are scary.

Billy Coons

Enthusiast
Reaction score
slaughterj, I plan on meeting up with your caravan in Graham, NC on Sat morn. I expect to be there NLT 5:30am. I have your phone # and will contact you if I can't make it there in time. :2tu: -BC

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
slaughterj, I plan on meeting up with your caravan in Graham, NC on Sat morn. I expect to be there NLT 5:30am. I have your phone # and will contact you if I can't make it there in time. :2tu: -BC

Sounds good! I don't know if it will be just a caravan of 1 or not ;) but we'll definitely meet up with others in Statesville from Charlotte that morning.

HSSSTOY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...Candians invade the Biltmore (6 Vipers and a Bentley)...leaving tomorrow and arriving to Ashville Friday afternoon. An overnight stop at the Hampton Inn Bridgeport WV, should be there around 4 p.m. Thur. Any local Vipers in the area!!

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
CORRECTION! The caravan from the Triangle will meet at the Exxon on E. Harden St. in Graham, NC , which is Exit #148, not 140! (Yes, it's the same exit # as the Statesville meetup, which is because then it is just on I40 and not the merged I85/I40.)

3SXVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking forward to it. Getting up early to meet in Concord. Hopefully Kathy, my wife, will put up with the early morning wake up :)

3SXVPR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had a great time meeting everyone and hanging out.
Too many bright,shiny Vipers- think it burned my retinas :D

Can't wait until we all meet up again.

Steve & Kathy

OP
OP
S

slaughterj

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was a great time! Check out my post in the General Viper forum.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave