Vipers Got ****** Around a Bit at Cruise Night

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got my 98 Silver/Blue GTS back in January so I'm really just starting to enjoy it and meet some other Viper owners and guys with other cars... I went to the Chatterbox NJ cruise night the last 3 weekends... It's run by the Wanderers car club which is mostly vintage cars but has no specific criteria to become a member. The event draws a few hundred cars on a good night and it's open to members and non-members alike... They do reserve the paved areas for cars at least 25 years old but the grass areas are generally open to anything.

So anyway I pull off of the pavement to park on the lawn out of the main area in the same spot that I parked with an RT/10 the previous weekend but this time instead of being parked with a bunch of Mustangs there were all Corvettes in the area. C2s right on up to some very new C6s. Probably 35-40 Vettes in all.

My wife and I get out of the car and start walking toward the restaurant and we are approached by the guy running the event and he tells me that that area is not for brand new cars. So I very politely explain that it's a 98 and it's NJ certified collector registration. So he says we have guys here with 66 Chevelles and we can't have them parking next to a new Viper. So I said what about all the new Vettes there and Oh by the way I was in the same spot last week and we told a few other Viper owners to meet us here. He says... Oh we have more Vipers coming !

So I said I'm a local guy.. can I join your club. He says sure it's $25 but we can't sign you up tonight. So I said... look no problem I'll move my car... So I pull to the far area of the event and the other 3 Vipers that came were directed to the Boonies with me.

Funny thing is that the parking attendant directing the cars turns to me and says... Your car is so much cooler than all those Vettes... They all look the same. I just said Shhhhh! Just let it go... I'm way outnumbered.:rolleyes:

Still had a lot of fun and what I notice is that while people take pictures of a lot of the cars when they photograph the Vipers they always want to be in the picture...

Anybody ever experience anything like this ?

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to buy the Viper shirt that says "God made Vipers so Vette guys have heros!" I wear it to all of the car shows that I go to. When walking around I can hear people read my shirt. Sometimes they laugh and sometimes they don't... haha My dad bought a 09 vette so I give him a hard time about it. ha

Bandit3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Similar thing happened to me and my wife one Sunday. As we were driving, I noticed many Corvettes in a shopping center parking lot. Since wife and I appreciate all cool rides, we entered the lot to look at them all.

All eyes were on us with the "stink eye" look. I just made one pass and left.

I would have liked to get out and take a closer look at some of them, but we felt like we were crashing their party.

BABIES

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes... Major Stink Eye rolling in:lmao:

Similar thing happened to me and my wife one Sunday. As we were driving, I noticed many Corvettes in a shopping center parking lot. Since wife and I appreciate all cool rides, we entered the lot to look at them all.

I would have liked to get out and take a closer look at some of them, but we felt like we were crashing their party.

BABIES

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score

BABIES

I can see all the guys with 4 cyl & 6 cly :( being insecure but the guys with a V8 should feel very secure around a big V10. I guess some are never happy with what they drive. ;) :rolaugh:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
v10, dont let it stop you from going there or the whiskey cafe in lyndhurst on sturday nights. which by the way loves vipers to attend.

or friday nights in denville right off 287south.

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a guy with a Gorgeous Red 01 Hendrick GTS with us Saturday and he said that Lyndhurst is a good time. I'll certainly go back to the Chatterbox too... Plenty of folks want to see Vipers and I love the Vintage stuff especially the earlier C3 vettes, Chevelles and all the late 60s and early 70s Mopars...

v10, dont let it stop you from going there or the whiskey cafe in lyndhurst on sturday nights. which by the way loves vipers to attend.

JacksViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to buy the Viper shirt that says "God made Vipers so Vette guys have heros!" I wear it to all of the car shows that I go to. When walking around I can hear people read my shirt. Sometimes they laugh and sometimes they don't... haha My dad bought a 09 vette so I give him a hard time about it. ha

Hey Brother, where can you get those shirts? I haven't seen those. Thanks in advance for the reply. :lmao:

jack

jmillsUT28

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yea they are great shirts! ha

Contact member "85 of 200". He is the one that sells them.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Many of the "cruise nights" have limitations on WHAT years are allowed to park in the reserved areas.

Freehold NJ does the same thing at their very large cruise nights during the summer.

Very friendly police appologized, but said the limitation was set up as there was just too many cars competing for spots.

Ken Lally

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had the EXACT same thing happen.
At my local cruise-in, I used to park my perfect restored 68 vert Vette in the first row, and knew all the classic guys.

Sold my Vette for my brand new Viper and parked in the same place- BIG mistake, one of the classic guys comes over and asks me to move, LOL.
"I've been parking here for 3 years" I told him, and he says, this space is for classics only... so I move.

10 minutes later a new Mustang takes the same spot...
LOL.

Haters................:smirk:

Burntrubber

Viper Owner
Reaction score
what you should have said was, hey werent there like 200k chevelles made in 1966. you know there are only 25k vipers made ever. this is a chance for a chevelle owner to park next to a rare car.

FYI, I do love chevelles, but the look on his face would have been priceless

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess what happens at these events is based on the subjectivity of the organizer. This particular event does focus on vintage cars hence the Wanderers Club and all the 50s music they play. In all fairness the Corvettes and Mustangs have more history than the Viper so when the packs of these mass produced classics start rolling in the guys with the newer Vettes and Mustangs ride in on the coat tails of the guys with the older cars.

I consider my 98 GTS to be right on the line between classic and newer supercar although it's history is rooted in the Cobras. As far as the guy that made me move goes... He was clearly biased but I'm sure he felt completely justified and really didn't think too much about his actions. He is the organizer and he is entitled to control the theme of the event and I'm OK with the fact that I now own a car that is misunderstood by a lot of people including a lot of self proclaimed Car Guys...

DJ'sviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have old classic as well as a new 93 viper LOL> The classic car hop will get real full sometimes but the police would open the gates for me and the classic guys would ask the vets and newer mustangs to park in the outside lots. It was kind of dead last Sat. the restaurant moved to a larger area. The vet guys always hang together. Some of the mustang guys are nice, but some are real jerks. I actually have more fun driving the loop with the young crowd. Young girls and guys yell out and tell me how much they like the car. One young guy was in a mustang and said he was going to get one as soon as he could. Some challenge, everyone wants to see the wheels spin. It's really fun, wish I had more time to do it.

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man you guys should come down to the car show we have at the Home Depot off of Route 1 in Edison Thursday nights from 6-9PM. The people that run it are real great and it's pretty family oriented through out the night. I normally try to round up a few of my friends with Chargers and Challengers and we all go, they call us the Mopar boys. :rolaugh:

--RS

BlueGTS

Viper Owner
Reaction score

What is the address or store that holds the Friday cruise? That is not far from me.

I use to take me car to cruise nights 5-7 years ago but stopped because the "classic" guys had no love for it. Funny thing is it would draw more of a croud than 95% of the cars there. Now I find that most of the events are filled with Mustangs and Corvettes which are not much to look at. I can not understand why someone would drive a C4 Vette to a "show". :lmao: I went to my local cruise in my DD yesterday and there were 3 C4s. :dunno:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but the best one IMO is somerville on friday nights. they shut the town down and its a huge car show. they let any kind of car in. always see another viper when i go.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yea they are great shirts! ha

Contact member "85 of 200". He is the one that sells them.

Do you have one yourself? If so can you post a picture haha

85 of 200

Enthusiast
Reaction score
viperteeback.JPG

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
v10 I know exactly how you feel all to well. Next time we just need to get more vipers together and maybe it would give us a better chance at good parking.

You must be registered for see images attach

viper GTS-R

Enthusiast
Reaction score
but the best one IMO is somerville on friday nights. they shut the town down and its a huge car show. they let any kind of car in. always see another viper when i go.

My friend Richie took his 03' Mustang Mach 1 over there, a cop was ready to write him a ticket because his car was to new.:confused:

--RS

OP
OP
V

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey I know that Silver GTS:D Thanks for posting the pics James... I was originally parked where that light Blue Mustang Convertible and Red Pickup is parked just like the week before but now you can see by looking at the cars behind the Mustang who may have complained...

v10 I know exactly how you feel all to well. Next time we just need to get more vipers together and maybe it would give us a better chance at good parking.

snakem04

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problem charles I wish I had better pictures to post but I thought the camera battery was full somehow I miss read it and these where the only shots I got before it died. Next time ill make sure not to make the same mistake.

HHI VIPER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
In Charleston SC the Southeastern Corvette Club had a show in the parking lot of a mall with probably about 150 Vette's a few weeks back. I came across the show purely by accident and had no idea it was happening there that day and it just so happened that I had my "GOD MADE VIPERS SO VETTE GUYS WOULD HAVE HEROS" shirt on that day. I wore it proudly and got quite a few nasty looks along with a few compliments from some cool guys that just love performance cars. There were some nice Vettes there I must say. Wish I would of had my camera. I am a fan of older Vettes and there were plenty.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456