Vipers looking for revenge at The Ring Today!!!

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling the acr beating the record and zr1 is a lock. It's awesome but if it doesnt beat the Lexus, is it a fail (sorta) ? We all know the spin will be that its the fastest American car obviously but would it be a disappointment?

I hope it just beats the Lexus so we don't have to hear about it....

Way to go dodge and tomball !!!

What do you mean by "beating the record and ZR1 is a lock"? Beating the ZR1 would just take better than 7:19, but beating "the record" would take like about 7:10, or low 7:11. The record is 7:11.xx for the Gumpert Apollo. Is that the "record", and the "title" everyones' talking about, or is everyone just referring to the "American" car record, which basically just means beating the Vette? Or, are we filtering "record" and "title" claims based on price-to-performance ratios? I suppose there's some consolation in that rationale. I would at least like to see the over-hyped, over-priced LFA get pounded.

All Ring records are transitory. Laptimes are not absolutes, vary with the day, track, temps, driver, etc. Not to mention the new versions everyone's coming out with. Porsche got beat by the GTR, then they came back for blood. Next, somone will put some downforce and super sticky tires on the Vette, then Gumpert will make one out of unobtainium, and so it goes. It sure is exciting to watch!!!

I wonder if the G5 Viper will do better than the ACR right out of the box, or if we will have to wait for the late model run improvements, for the best version.

Last edited:

C.Hermsen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vic - "The record" refers to the worlds fastest PRODUCTION car around the 'ring. Which the LF-A currently holds. The Gumpert is not a production car, and holds a different record.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What do you mean by "beating the record and ZR1 is a lock"? Beating the ZR1 would just take better than 7:19, but beating "the record" would take like about 7:10, or low 7:11. The record is 7:11.xx for the Gumpert Apollo. Is that the "record", and the "title" everyones' talking about, or is everyone just referring to the "American" car record, which basically just means beating the Vette? Or, are we filtering "record" and "title" claims based on price-to-performance ratios? I suppose there's some consolation in that rationale. I would at least like to see the over-hyped, over-priced LFA get pounded..

beating the ZR1 is a given IMO
beating the record "ring" is another story.

i hope SRT pulls it off. if so, its HUGE in my opinion. if SRT comes up short, to me, its big but a disappointment as well. as much as i know the viper will be the fastest american car on the road, it wont be able to say the fastest production car on the road. its close but not the same.

kdaviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe the reason the ACR-X is there is to break the overall production record for the full course. That way we'll be able to compare the ACR to the Zr-1 and LFA and the ACR-X to the Apollo.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
From what i understand the LEXUS was a Pre-production vehicle. How/Why would one consider it for any Production car track record?

When/If they actually spit out 50 of these for sale and one of them goes to the ring then it is what it is.:drive:

F8L SNK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The LFA deserves credit no matter what. It is a true production car or will be and it was on street tires. The ZR1 and Z06 were 2012 models and I don't know that they have been released yet to the general public either. Let's just hope the ACR not the ACRX beats the time if they are even still contending for it. The X s bragging rights but due top the race only nature of the car it really doesn't count for much. Otherwise the 599FX from Ferrari will then be compared and it is sub 7:00:00 already.

This is a great effort from Dodge and I am glad to see that if this time is official that it has bested the Vette. I would hope it could beat the LFA but at a base price of $400K and this is a special model we have very tough competition.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pre production is crap! I would say that if it was the Viper too. Production cars mean you can buy one! We hear about pre production cars
And then we find out the production car is slower than the "pre production"cars. We heard so much about Porsche breaking the record but of course it was an "unofficial" time.I'll translate : the weenies from Germany couldn't make the car go as fast as a Dodge! **** it up world Dodge ACR is the fastest true production car in the world and it's a two year old model and has been sitting at a Dodge dealer for over a year!
***** to be anything but an ACR!
Sorry had to vent!

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
He doesn't know, no one knows at the moment we are all reading the same websites and blogs.
There is no confirmed information there was a second day, this is guess work too.

One observation:
There is a camera attached to the nose of the silver/black ACR and the ACRX but not the SSG.
As a little birdie told me, the black/silver one is going for the record. The SSG is a backup.
Obviously the runs are being taped.

Cameras may also be mounted inside, for less aero-drag.

And why ASSume there is no day 1.5, day 2, or even day 2.5?

I think the lack of 'official' times may mean the event might not yet be finished....I hope they are getting a good-nights-rest wherever they are

onemile

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm regular at the Ring (and Viper owner) and I feel that these "record" attempts are more marketing and media hype than real sport. Anything below 8 minutes is bloody fast and faster than any of us can ever dream to go there, except professional race drivers with good track knowledge.

First if there are no rules and control, there can't be real records. Here guys are talking about price and so on. If price would count, current Renault Megane would win, because for this amount of money, nothing goes faster. Secondly even 5 seconds there is nothing, its a long track, conditions vary and even experienced pro drivers rarely, if ever get 100% perfect lap. And finally, what means "street legal" ? ACR is not street legal in Germany and in many other European countries, as it doesn't have European type approval and can't pass the noise tests for single vehicle approval. So how its different from Radical SR8LM, which went 6.48 ?

Still, its awesome they went for it ! :)

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The spy site says the stock ACR at 7:15.6 did not beat the LFA reported 7:14, but I have not seen today's times....
There is NO WAY the -X would not beat the LFA.

PPS this is a coool shot, but has gotta be costing some time?!

nurburgreen.jpg

Jon, it looks to me that it is coming out of the bowl so going at any decent clip is going to send a tire air born.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm regular at the Ring (and Viper owner) and I feel that these "record" attempts are more marketing and media hype than real sport. Anything below 8 minutes is bloody fast and faster than any of us can ever dream to go there, except professional race drivers with good track knowledge.

First if there are no rules and control, there can't be real records. Here guys are talking about price and so on. If price would count, current Renault Megane would win, because for this amount of money, nothing goes faster. Secondly even 5 seconds there is nothing, its a long track, conditions vary and even experienced pro drivers rarely, if ever get 100% perfect lap. And finally, what means "street legal" ? ACR is not street legal in Germany and in many other European countries, as it doesn't have European type approval and can't pass the noise tests for single vehicle approval. So how its different from Radical SR8LM, which went 6.48 ?

Still, its awesome they went for it ! :)

Relax Captain Obvious, we know that.
Everybody with any familiarity with the Ring times knows that there are a lot of variables involved.
We are just having some FUN here.

Having the production car record is obviously important to Dodge or they would not be there. When the ZR1 took the record
back from the ACR there was no way it sat well with Ralph and Dodge.
Especially when it was very obvious that the Viper run left a lot of time on the table.
When this was planned a while ago there was no LF-A record so it was going to be a breeze beating the ZR1 record, hell the '08-'09 could probably do it.

But the Lexus running 7:14...thats formidable.
Beating that computer controlled car with paddle shifters that has been born and bred to run there would be stunning.

Last edited by a moderator:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Note in this link the author describes the Viper as "having their fun on Monday".
Doesn't seem to indicate a second day?

http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.p...=57:laptimes-and-private-events&Itemid=300090

Emailed the webmaster at "Bridge to Gantry" if he heard any news.
He said "The Vipers only ran for half a day. I've not seen them out since"
So the talk of a second day is apparently incorrect, this guy is on site.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Holy cow if you don't hit that apex just right you run outta track haha!!!

Awsome thread!!!!

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a thread started in the Corvette Forums/ZR1 discussion about the Viper running for the Ring title.

They quickly moved it to the "Non-Corvette Content, Daily Drivers, Winter Beaters, Work Trucks, Tow Vehicles, for sale" discussion forum.

What a joke. These guys can dish it out but can't take it. :rolaugh:

Yeah I started that thread on the ZR1 section and I was actually being very humble about it so it would not be moved. Amazing how fast it was buried in the basement:D

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/oth...r-try-to-take-the-title-back-at-the-ring.html

Last edited:

V10PWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to see that there is still life left at DODGE!! Many thanks to Ben and Bernie for making it happen. Can't wait to see the video and what the Gen V car will do!! :usa::usa::usa:

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I started that thread on the ZR1 section and I was actually being very humble about it so it would not be moved. Amazing how fast it was buried in the basement:D

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/oth...r-try-to-take-the-title-back-at-the-ring.html

Technically the topic is "other car" related so I see why they moved it but they are extremely touchy over there.
They have the heaviest moderation on any car site anywhere.
And mentioning the word "Viper" is red flagged right away, heading for a lock.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
One observation:
There is a camera attached to the nose of the silver/black ACR and the ACRX but not the SSG.

Looks like there might be one inside the SSG just to the right of the passenger seat. Exactly where I have mine mounted.

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
wow some of the vette guys sound like some of us. You could just swap the car names and move the threads back and forth. Its all good with 2 great american cars. I do really like that the viper is an NA monster motor car that bullies its way through the course.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes its normal when exiting mini carousell.[/QUOTE]

THANKS for your input, I have no hands-on at the 'Ring (dammit!) Marv posted a close-up to show the rather extreme deflection that thise FIA-curbs cause on the inside shoulder....called "Gator Teeth" they are really takin' a bite outta that tire, lots of speed and downforce happening at that moment. Those CUPS take a beating.................AWESOME shot.

nurburgreen2.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth