visiting the old Mack Ave. Plant...

SERPENT INDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...I was lucky enough to visit the old Mack Plant a couple of times during the years it was in use....the building was in a not so nice part of town and looked like the remains of a bombed out building from WWII except for one side, the front door to the place where dreams became reality...

...inside, you immediately noticed how small the assembly line really was...from memory, it was 6-7 cars long....you could see the frames at one end and the finished cars just a few stations away....part of the building had a wood floor that was kind of odd, it was to absorb vibrations/shocks from when the plant was used for other heavy duty purposes( I think aircraft engines ???)...

...we got a personal tour of the line, the plant etc etc...quite a thing to see for a guy that had just bought his first '94 Viper a few weeks before...the last visit I was there, the GTS prototype was on the floor, still unfinished, but I got to sit in it anyway and I knew right then I would own one someday...the plant was small, well guarded and didn't even have a gift shop, lol, but it made memories I will never forget...

...I have also been thru the CAAP Plant many times and thoroughly enjoyed every visit, I even found my completed 2003 SRT10 during a visit before any were shipped, saw the first black SRT10 built....my red SRT10 was one of the first 25-30 made and luckily it was just sitting there waiting for it's ride to Woodhouse and I took some pictures of it during the visit....lotsa fun ....the Vipers and Prowlers have been some of the most fun cars I have ever owned...I hope the CAAP Plant is open for many years to come and I get at least one more chance to visit when the new Viper is rollin' down the line...and a visit to the giftshop again, lol....

OP
OP
S

SERPENT INDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
we were told not to even take a camera inside the building.....camera phones didn't exist then....it was very high security, but surely someone has some shots :cool:

ViperJoe

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have of course seen pics in the many Viper books out there, just thought that someone had some more "presonal" shots.

CarmelSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I head that the building is close to 1 million square feet and it still has wooden floors? Did they mention that?

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have pictures (35mm) from every station that my car was assembled at. The length of the line did not seem much if any different from todays though. That was in the spring of 1995.

OP
OP
S

SERPENT INDY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I head that the building is close to 1 million square feet and it still has wooden floors? Did they mention that?

the building was huge....probably was 1 mil ft....but the Viper plant used only a small portion of the building

GTS Dean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The assembly line was single, and my foggy memory says it was about 26 stations long. They did everything shy of the water leak test on that line. Final hand buffing was done adjacent to the end of the line.

I got 2 tours of Mack Ave. - one during VOI #1, the next was during the formative meeting for the VCA. They only used a small fraction of the building's total area for the Viper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang