Wanted: Broken window regulators

Jon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If anyone has replaced a window regulator in a 2003+ and still has the old one sitting around somewhere, please consider sending it to me. In my "day job", I design and fabricate window regulator repair kits for the Jeep Cherokee and Liberty, both of which use window regulators that are kissing cousins of the Viper regulator, and I am considering creating a similar repair kit for the Viper and/or offering a Viper window regulator repair service for those folks who would prefer not to do the repair themselves. There is certainly not anywhere near the market out there for the Viper as compared to the more plentiful Jeeps, however given the high cost of replacing these window regulators outright, having another (much lower cost!) option available might be helpful.

How it would work is anybody who sends me their broken window regulator(s) that I can use for beta testing and prototyping purposes would be entitled to a free repair of the window regulators currently in their Viper (or any other vehicle for which I make a repair kit), should they break at some point in the future. Or, if you are a dealership or repair shop who has some busted regulators from customer repairs that you would be willing to send, perhaps we could set up some sort of arrangement where you can get the repair kits at a discounted price to be able to offer your future customers an alternative to an expensive window regulator replacement? I am certainly open to any ideas or suggestions!

I would be happy to reimburse you for the shipping cost to send your regulator(s) to me. It would be best if you are able to donate them outright, however I would also be willing to consider a "long term loan".

Thanks!

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a good idea. I brought it up a couple years ago. One of the Viper members read my post, contacted me and asked that I send him one of my old motors and that he would look into it. Never heard from him again.

pure zen

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Seems window regulators are a sore topic when it comes to

Chrysler built cars. Wonder if Avin-Meritor makes all of them for Chrysler? They sure make some terrible, short life crap.

11K Prowlers built, and probably 40K regulators replaced :rolleyes: I've replace seven Prowler regulators, and was hoping the Viper had a better one in them. What a pain in the butt,,, and expensive.

Good luck on your project, and I hope some owners send you some so as to improve a weak part. Keep us posted on the progress.

MADMAX

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jon,
I have a busted window regulator from my 96 GTS sitting in the garage - it's waiting for the busted-bits-fairy to visit - don't think she's gonna come any time soon. Assuming it's the same regulator you're after AND you don't get a better offer on your side of the pond (I'm in the UK) you're welcome to have it. If nobody else replies in say a couple-a-weeks, drop me a line.
Ade.

OP
OP
J

Jon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
11K Prowlers built, and probably 40K regulators replaced :rolleyes: I've replace seven Prowler regulators, and was hoping the Viper had a better one in them. What a pain in the butt,,, and expensive.

Based on the photos I've seen, it looks like the Prowler regulator is of the same design type as the Viper, Cherokee and Liberty. Heck, if anyone has some extra Prowler regulators lying around, I'd certainly be interested in taking a look at those as well - I'm sure a similar repair could be made available for that vehicle.

Good luck on your project, and I hope some owners send you some so as to improve a weak part. Keep us posted on the progress.

Thanks! I will certainly do that.

OP
OP
J

Jon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Jon,
I have a busted window regulator from my 96 GTS sitting in the garage - it's waiting for the busted-bits-fairy to visit - don't think she's gonna come any time soon. Assuming it's the same regulator you're after AND you don't get a better offer on your side of the pond (I'm in the UK) you're welcome to have it. If nobody else replies in say a couple-a-weeks, drop me a line.
Ade.

Thanks! Based on the research I've done so far, the Gen2 regulator appears to use a "pulley and cable" type design, similar to the Grand Cherokee whereas the Gen3 regulator is of the "spiral cable and gear" design (like the Cherokee and Liberty). I have more experience with the second type, and since I have a Gen3 Viper, prototyping and such is much easier for that version since I have 24/7 access to the vehicle, which is why I had planned to start there. Its certainly not my intention to exclude the Gen2 cars though, and I am definitely open to developing some repair options for the earlier Vipers as well.