Was the Viper Engine originally a v-10 TRUCK engine sent off to Lamborghini? ---

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
When someone in the upper management makes a statement about a car being developed, people take the words seriously and the stigma stays with the car for ever.
Quoting Francois Castaing ; "One of the first major project we got going was to put a new big V-10, a big gas truck engine, on its way"
Castaing recalled.

Don't blame the auto media entirely for it!

Bob Lutz; Öne day--and I don't remember how it happened--but the idea of creating a concept car like the Cobra, using a big gas truck engine as a core, came up". Ít occured to me Lutz explained, that Chrysler had all the bits an pieces in the parts bin, who cares? But we had all the pieces in the bin to do a show car that would pick up on the theme of the Cobra"

These are the words out of the horses mouth so don't shoot the messenger here:smirk:

Last edited:

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really? As a longtime Chrysler small block fan, I think there are more misconceptions about these engines than the V10. The Chrysler smallblock is a bit heavier than the Ford but not the Chevy ( http://www.hotrodreference.com/893/common-american-v8-engines-weight-comparison-chart/ )and the Chevy valve angle was a disadvantage for optimum power. The 340 and 360 4 barrel engines were better or the equal of either the Ford 351 or Chevy 350 in stock form and the 360 has more torque than either. In a small block buildup comparison test, the 360 made lots more power than either. The small block Chryslers did not have as many variants as the Ford or Chevy - aluminum heads, etc. - but the engines were every bit as powerful. As a long time drag racer, I can tell you these small block Chrysler cars made more horsepower stock and with small modifications than either of the other brands. My 340 Dart ran in the same class as 428 Mustangs if that tells you anything. So let's put a few of these other ideas and misconceptions to rest. The problem is, and Viper owners should understand this very well, that Ford and Chevy cars and engines have been more popular and have always had more parts available. But, at VOI last fall, one of the Penske guys said the Dodge engines were the most powerful in NASCAR and now Chrysler bails on us. Enough said.

And despite all the protestation that the Viper engine is not the same as the truck engine here are the specs for the Viper 8.0:
Engine: 8.0-Liter, OHV, SMPI V-10
Type & Description Ten cylinder, 90� V-type, liquid cooled
Displacement 488 cu. in. (7990 cc)
Bore x Stroke 4.00 x 3.88 (101.6 x 98.5)

Exactly the same as a 360 and the original V10 truck engine. Maybe they're different in some ways - aluminum v. cast iron - but as previous posters said "that's what was in the parts bin". And finally, even Chrysler counts the V10 as an LA engine.

The venerable Ford small block (221ci, 260, 289, 302, 351, 400) was developed by Ford's truck division and turned out pretty well for passenger car use.

The 360 Chrysler motor always seemed to use excess fuel in relation to horsepower produced. It's development coincided with the poor running 1st generation smog restricted vehicles. It was also very heavy. The Ford and Chevys enjoyed the perception they were lighter weight and more free flowing than the Chrysler small blocks of that generation (318ci and 360).

Last edited:

vancouver-gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The 340 and 360 4 barrel engines were better or the equal of either the Ford 351 or Chevy 350 in stock form and the 360 has more torque than either. In a small block buildup comparison test, the 360 made lots more power than either. The small block Chryslers did not have as many variants as the

Bought my 1972 Challenger new with the 340, 4 spd . Many of my friends had Vettes, Mustangs with small blocks, they were in for a surprise when we went out the first time to duke it out. The Challenger was light, thanks for the cheapskates at Chrysler/Dodge :rolaugh: By 72 all muscle cars were detuned by mandate yet the Challenger seemed to be able to get more juice out of them. The 240 net HP was under rated just like my buddy's Hemi Cuda's 425. Nothing could touch that car at the time!

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
A

alwayscode390

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Absolutely. I always loved the viper since I was a kid and I knew some of the back story from reading about it as the car was being developed, but that book just took the veil off. SRT should embrace the story of the viper's inception. It really is a story of passion, risk taking, and vision which makes it easier to appreciate the car for what it is. It also helps put to rest some of these silly rumors that even many viper owners seem to propagate.

Thanks for the book recommendation, I just purchased a copy :) ---

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21