Wash mit. What kind?

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just a simple ?. With all the recent posts about how easy it is to scratch our clear coat, I wanted to know what is the safest thing to use to wash the car.

I have been using cotton covered sponges with my Z7. Should I be using something else? :usa:

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL!

Of course not :) I put in the classifieds, and based on those, most Vipers have never been in the rain, or wet ;) So I'm guessing everyone vacuums the dirt of their cars....

I use a lambswool mit with the water running the whole time to float and carry away the dirt. I also have a neat wash bucket I bought at VOI that has a grate up above the bottom to allow the dirt in the water to settle to the bottom, and give me something to scrub the dirt of the wash mit with... often.

Most use 100% cotton daipers (be careful here as the daiper may be 100% cotton, but the edge binding might not be) or 100% cotton zaino wash towels.

You'll find 100's of posts if you do a search "Zaino"....

OP
OP
J

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Jay. Look forward to seeing you at some evnts this year.

John

Reaction score
Best way to reduce scratches is to use 2 buckets of water and 2 mits. Start with soapy water with clean mit in bucket(1), lubricated paint with water then put that mit to the surface. Put that mit into bucket(2) soapy water soak to remove dirt. use 2nd mit and repeat until finished. If bucket one gets dirty dump both buckets and continue with clean soapy water.

Goal is to remove dirt so it will not scratch the paint.

A third bucket would be even better. Avoiding scratches takes time and patience.

SapphireGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I soap it down with Lava soap then an SOS pad.

I only use American Cotton towels with my Zaino. Not that Pakistan stuff.

American Cotton is actually quite a bit softer.

BACKNBLACK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sheep skin mit is the best. You start from top of car. Wash off top then wash mit again . Refill bucket with new soap and water then get another mit to do bottom of car which has most dirt. Then get another bucket of clean water and soap and do rimms seperate. Hows that sound.I'm anal with this stuff..sorry... Check out Griots Garage..They have great waxes,glazes,clay bars and polishes...

Docta Vipa

Viper Owner
Reaction score
CostCo has a very nice kit containing two sheepskin mitts and a sheepskin polishing cloth. Very well made and of course the price is so reasonable that I bought two kits - four wash mitts in all.
Michael

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sheep skin mit is the best. You start from top of car. Wash off top then wash mit again . Refill bucket with new soap and water then get another mit to do bottom of car which has most dirt. Then get another bucket of clean water and soap and do rimms seperate. Hows that sound.I'm anal with this stuff..sorry... Check out Griots garage ..They have great waxes,glazes,clay bars and polishes...

I always do the wheels and tires first since the cleaners used on them usually require them to be dry to start. I have a two different soft brushes (with plastic hamdles) I only use on wheels. One is rather large for the flat areas of the wheels, and the other cylindrical to get in the tight spots. Not sure where I picked them up, but I've had them for years.

OP
OP
J

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. Griots looks like they have some good stuff. Looks like I need to change my waashing habits ASAP.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth