Wax comparisons

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to have a black Vette that I put in shows a few times...a major PITA to keep dust off. Had to use spray detailer RIGHT BEFORE the judges came over...would get dusty in like five minutes. Swore I would never buy another black car and then, ugh, I bought a new Infiniti FX35 in what else??? Black. I never learn!!

I am happy with the Meguiar's products I have used over the years, Mothers as well. I am hoping this new "Reflections" gloss enhancer will add to the depth of shine....I'm hopin'.

Peter

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I can jump in here, I have read that carnuba is a very hard product and needs a reducer type like kerosene or other petroleum distillates to make it pliable enough to be used as a car wax....and since our cars spend a lot of time out in the sun, petroleum on the finish of the car looks "wet" or "slick" but the sun cooking the kerosene does a lot of damage to clear coats....has anyone else heard this as well !!?? thanks for my $.02

Good question. While the cars might look good, is it doing long term damage to the paint?

GBS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good question. While the cars might look good, is it doing long term damage to the paint?

The distillates flash in seconds when the wax is applied. Does not do any damange to the paint.

Last edited:

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My clear bra installer mentioned using blue painters tape along the edge of the bra to keep wax and or wax solvents from creeping under the film and making it "lift" along the edges. It keeps dry wax from building up in edge too. The tape also allows you to use a mechanical buffer without fear of damaging the edge of the clear bra.

Just got the bra done, haven't had a chance to wax it yet and try his advice.

Cheers,
George

PittsburghRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did my red RT/10 with Pinnacle Souveran and the shine is amazing. I have tried many different products in the past and Pinnacle seems to be the easiest to apply and gives the best results.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tito sent me a tester or two and as soon as I used the pre-wax cleaner ...

You must be registered for see images

That allowed the color to show through once the Mother's California Gold ($100+) 3 stage wax was off of the car. Then a quick coating of turbowax with polymers and WOW.

Ted

JacksViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had been hooked on Meguiar's for years, since the late 60's, thought that there was nothing better. Friend of mine's father had a Pontiac dealership and that is what they used. I've tried different waxes and detailing sprays on the Viper, including Meguiar's but also found that Mother's did a pretty good job. The other night while walking through Target, my eye caught a spray detailer made by, Armorall. I bought it and tried it last night. It was a little bit harder wiping it off but it did a great job and brought out the color (Gen III red) a much brighter, wet look. I also picked up a spray-on Turtle wax, that I'll be trying soon. I've had pretty good luck with Turtle products in the past. So, we'll see how this one works out.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently tried the Turbo Wax and have to say that it did go on and come off very easy. It also has a very nice look. It is still too soon to say anything about its durability but so far it has been holding up very well, atleast when compared to things like Pinnacle Souveran. Hopefully it will continue to perform.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I used Mother's on the wife's new Hemi pickup last month. It rained yesterday and the did not bead on the paint! Cow dung was dried onto the bottom of the doors. Calcium was spayed on our road and that was also stuck all over the paint. When washing the pickup I found lots of black tar spots on the passenger side (road construction).

I ran out of turbowax (used it all up on my Viper and Stealth TT so I used some Mcguires Detail wax. Rained again and even the Detail stuff repelled the water and made the new calcium easy to get off the paint yesterday. I rinsed nearly all of the dirt and calcium off of the pickup just by spraying the truck with water and a hose.

Guess I'd better send Tito an email and order some more Wax and pre-cleaner.

Ted

Tito Tw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never got around to make it public but our Pre Wax is a new formula and is as good as our wax with polycharger :2tu:

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used Mother's on the wife's new Hemi pickup last month. It rained yesterday and the did not bead on the paint! Cow dung was dried onto the bottom of the doors. Calcium was spayed on our road and that was also stuck all over the paint. When washing the pickup I found lots of black tar spots on the passenger side (road construction).

I ran out of turbowax (used it all up on my Viper and Stealth TT so I used some Mcguires Detail wax. Rained again and even the Detail stuff repelled the water and made the new calcium easy to get off the paint yesterday. I rinsed nearly all of the dirt and calcium off of the pickup just by spraying the truck with water and a hose.

Guess I'd better send Tito an email and order some more Wax and pre-cleaner.

Ted
Why do they spray the roads with Calcium? :dunno:

Tito, are you saying the Pre Wax provides protection also even when used alone? It did have descent cleaning abilities. :2tu:

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The Liberal party in BC sprays all of our gravel highways (and some side roads) with Calcium to keep the Potholes, washboard and dust down to a minimium. If they didn't use Calcium/Salt they'd have to do more paving - they don't want to do that because it won't help the Olympics.

I sent in my turbowax order.

Ted

Tito Tw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tito, are you saying the Pre Wax provides protection also even when used alone?

I think that if I said that it will be misleading to our customers, the sole purpose of the Pre Wax is to help prepare the surface, with that we can ask ourselves;

What is the purpose of the Turbo Wax Pre Wax?

A pre wax is just as the name implies, to get the surface ready for wax to be applied. Tar spots, some tree saps and various other surface contaminates are usually not taken off by a product that is termed wax only.

Your better precleaners have a small amount of abrasive in them, and a lot of the wax/cleaners on the market have a very high content of solvents in them. The wax/cleaners with high solvent content in them need to be avoided, as they will eventually deteriorate the surface to which they are applied.

Do Turbo Wax products contain any abrasives?

Turbo Wax itself does not contain any abrasive; the Turbo Wax Pre Cleaner does have some abrasive in it.

For some people it may seem like a lot of work but you saw first hand how easy our products work, a surface with pre wax and one without pre wax is a day and night difference.

One simple test is to feel your vehicle surface with your bare hand, then using a very thin sandwich bag place it on your hand and fell the same surface, what the naked eye and your hand don't see/feel you will feel using this simple method, after that do the same test after you have applied the pre wax.

You must be registered for see images attach

Red Devil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I switched from Zaino to Pinnacle Souveran as well. It lasts a few weeks for me, but I don't drive my car in rain and park in a garage at work and home. It literally takes me 5 minutes to apply as opposed to Zaino, which took hours. So, even if it only lasts two weeks you'll spend very little time reapplying it after a wash.

I have used the old Z2 Zaino on my car and it was a snap to use. I dont understand why one would work so hard if you had good clean paint.Keep in mind the Z2 was all I used and my car looks Great. I also use an old product called eagle one pure carnuba. Its works great also. eagle one carnuba is no more as far as I know. I have had this was for 12 years. Still works great.I dont understand why Zaino had to change their product to Z2pro. Now Im not sure I want to try the new stuff.Carnuba is VERY easy to put on and take off. Takes about 5 coats to start looking really good. I have had no problems with it at all. I may try this Pinnacle though. Who sells it?

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I also use blue painters tape on the clrear bra cause I get wax on the edges even when I am paying attention!

Achilles99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If any of you have a clear bra, don't be lazy like me and ignore the blue tape. Actually, I just wanted to make sure that the wax fully covered the car. Problem is, I got wax build up on the line and it took forever to remove.

Stealth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Meguires regularly. Works perfectly good for me and I get compliments ALL the time. People think it's brand new car, but it's 6 yrs old and has 20k miles on it.

This weekend I did a quick claybarring, then the 3-step system.

However, I did skip step 1 (paint cleaner) since it's garage kept and it made no difference...the terrycloth buffer applicator using this step came up clean after just washing and claybarring. So for me the paint cleaner was unnecessary.

Step 2 Polish went on smooth and well BUT, was a big PITA to remove when wet (per directions) or dry. I filled a spray bottle with warm water and lightly sprayed after the Polish dried and then it came off easily with no residue using a microfiber towel.

Step 3 is the wax. I used their new NXT 2.0 liquid. Applied with a hand pad and wiped off real easily after drying with another microfiber towel.

I also did a comparo on the trunk. On the left side I used their Ultimate Compound. In the middle, I used their Polish. On the right side, I used their Swirl X. The Ultimate Compound and Swirl X were a waste on my car. Easy to apply and wipe off, but they both left a slight hazing in the paint. The polish did not. So I wound up using the polish afterwards on the entire trunk and rest of the car. No problems. The Ultimate Compound & Swirl X may work well on weathered or scratched finishes but was unnecessary on mine.

I also have the entire front end covered in 3M waxable Clear Bra. I did get the dry wax on the edges. Simple solution was mist the area with water or their Ultimate Detailer and gently wipe along the edge with a microfiber towel. Came right off.

I regularly use their Ultimate Quick Detailer in between cleanings (monthly) & waxings (Semi-annually) and it keeps the finish looking real nice. I try to blow the dust/pollen off with air before hand to minimize rubbing it into the finish with the Ultimate Quick Detailer. Black is a HUGE PITA to keep clean.

+1 on Meguires NXT 2.0. My car is a 2008 and garaged so the paint is excellent. There is really no need to use anything other than wax. The only downside is that NXT needs to be applied every 3rd wash or so.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If any of you have a clear bra, don't be lazy like me and ignore the blue tape. Actually, I just wanted to make sure that the wax fully covered the car. Problem is, I got wax build up on the line and it took forever to remove.

When applying the wax or Zaino you must apply it VERY thin and only apply it off of the edge of the bra, never towards it. When you view it you can see the wax will skip like 1/8" along the edge and you will get no build up. Blue painters tape is also a good method and error proof. You must be very careful if practicing the other method.

I found that if over time you do get a wax or dirt buildup, a little Zaino Clear Seal (slightly dampen) on a detailing q-tip and lightly rub along the edge it will clean off any dirt and wax and make the edge virtually disappear again. Again, use common sense and go very lightly with the q-tip just slightly damp. If too wet and you are too rough you could loosen the edge. I have done this MANY times on my DD and have never had an issue.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I switched over to Adam's Americana Wax and it is so nice to work with. It is extremely easy to remove, the wax itself practically melts in your hand. Adam's Buttery Wax is really easy to use as well.

PDCjonny

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That's odd, I found it comes right off with a little detailer spray once it moistens up.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
100_0485_2_.jpg

You need a hood liner for that beast!

You must be registered for see images

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used the Maguires quick detailer I get at BJ's (2 large bottles of detailer and bottle of spray wax for $14) and it has done a nice job on my yellow 2001 RT/10. The advantage is the yellow...very easy to keep looking good.

I've used Zymöl (sp?) on my daily driver (Accord SE) and it is easy to apply, doesn't stink like some of the other waxes, and leaves a good shine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4