Weekend Caliper Painting Project

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had started to purchase items for a big brake kit not long ago and realized I would be ******* money away for how I realistically drive my car, My true motivation for doing a big brake kit was better than stock braking and the look of the red calipers. I found a great alternative to the big brake kit that has been discussed often that cost me only $1520 front and rear. I went with Toms 40mm rear calipers (the bulk of the cost), red Toms rear caliper covers, EBC Red pads, partsrack SS lines, slotted and drilled rotors, G2 Viper color coded matched caliper paint and viper hi-temp vinyl white caliper decals. This set up will give me better then stock braking that is in line with how I drive my viper and better than stock looks and it did not break the bank. I also made a cool caliper holder out of 2x4s in 10 minutes that made the project a snap. Feel free to steal that idea. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• Caliper 1.jpg
    Caliper 1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Caliper 2.jpg
    Caliper 2.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Caliper 3.jpg
    Caliper 3.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Caliper 4.jpg
    Caliper 4.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks pretty sharp. Post pics after they are done too.

Please note the complaint-free content. Dave, contemporary mod-rice Viper/Ricer owner, and I approve this message.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks...will do!

That looks pretty sharp. Post pics after they are done too.

Please note the complaint-free content. Dave, contemporary mod-rice Viper/Ricer owner, and I approve this message.

2002_red_gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did you get the paint and the Hi temp Decals from? Im changing rotors soon so I figure while im in there I might as well...

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the paint from G2 Brake Caliper Paint Systems if you want a custom color off a paint code make sure you go to the right page. The vendor I used for the decals was a PITA to work with, I sent payment and after a month and a half of not receiving the decals and multiple attempts to contact I had to file a complaint with paypal and 2 weeks later I received the decals. I will not recommend this vendor to you. I will say that you can go to a vinyl shop, there are a lot more around than you think and have them cut you some, should cost you under $15, mine cost me $8

2002_red_gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rgr thank you I will take a look to see what i can find. I also have a red Gen2 what paint code did you go with?

Jance GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Those turned out good!

If anyone wants some that are already powder coated red with Viper on them, let me know I have some for sale, they also have "red stuff" pads. ;)

georgethedog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks good. I just did mine last weekend with the same paint except I used GTS Blue. I was tooooo lazy to take them off the car, so I only painted the parts you can see-basically the front caliper part. With all the thick spokes in the 2003 stock wheels, you can't see much of the calipers anyway. I had a little trouble with some bubbling and a couple runs (but that was because I did not take them off). However, they look pretty good overall. Now I have to put the stickers on and do a little cleaning in the wheel well and put it back together. I guess I will find out just how good/bad I did when it is all together... If it *****, I will have them done professionally, but for $100 bucks it was worth a try to do it myself--besides, I just like to mess around with things... :)

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A few hours ago I just randomly picked a rotor and caliper to mock on the car for some picture so I do already know the rotor is facing the wrong direction and the caliper is the drivers side one on the passengers. I hope over the weekend to have better pictures with natural light and not the annoying flash bounce back. Hope you enjoy :)

Attachments

• Caliper 1 .jpg
    Caliper 1 .jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 91
  • Caliper 2.jpg
    Caliper 2.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 101
  • Caliper 3.jpg
    Caliper 3.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Caliper 4.jpg
    Caliper 4.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 135
OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FYI: I made the comment that caliper was on upside down which was incorrect, its in the proper orientation in the photo

A few hours ago I just randomly picked a rotor and caliper to mock on the car for some picture so I do already know the rotor is facing the wrong direction and the caliper is the drivers side one on the passengers. I hope over the weekend to have better pictures with natural light and not the annoying flash bounce back. Hope you enjoy :)

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice job! Looks great! Can't wait for more pics of them on your car.:2tu:

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks! I will be posting a picture of the back in a few minutes, not a great picture but it will have to do for now until I get the car off the ramps and into natural light

Nice job! Looks great! Can't wait for more pics of them on your car.:2tu:

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will post some tips and more pictures in the near future for anyone who wants to try this

Attachments

• Caliper Rear.jpg
    Caliper Rear.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
its a good DIY project, I will post some final shots and a few more pictures that I took along the way to help out in the process of others doing it, I'm very happy with the results for a $99 color match kit and it was fun seeing the progress from black caliper to red

Love to see some. This is exactly what I want to do sometime.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks really good man, I paid a lot for my Dave's Big Brake Kit. You definitely found a great way around dropping some serious money for similar looks. Well Done! :2tu:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks really good man, I paid a lot for my Dave's Big Brake Kit. You definitely found a great way around dropping some serious money for similar looks. Well Done! :2tu:

Oh my... Good gosh... You paid a lot but got performance. The paint upgrade adds no performance. Is this another RICER MOD? :omg:

NooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo... :nono:

Who gives a ship. I like pretty parts :2tu:

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well if thats only what you do then yes paint it does nothing but look good, in addition to painted calipers i recommend a few other things to avoid the Ricer Status i did EBC Reds, new rotors, ss lines from Daves and Toms 40mm not a ricer mod anymore :D

Oh my... Good gosh... You paid a lot but got performance. The paint upgrade adds no performance. Is this another RICER MOD? :omg:

NooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo... :nono:

Who gives a ship. I like pretty parts :2tu:

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
plus under 1K for much better braking than stock and is in line with the majority of viper drivers braking needs :yay: but I will say the big brake kits are pretty looking and when I see yours compared to mine I will be jealous CostanZo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets