Weekend Caliper Painting Project

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Haha.....Dave, I don't track my car! Johnny's project def made a huge improvement at resembling the styling of a more expensive Big Brake Kit. Of course, performance isn't there like a $6,000 BBK, but as he said... Those brakes will perform better than stock and also give "the look", and that's what I was referring to. To be honest I mainly paid for the looks, any performance gains were of course a bonus, but obviously I was looking for that too when spending the money. Besides, I can't upgrade to 19" and 20" wheels with stock puny brakes. A Big Brake Kit was a must regardless if I would actually use the full potential of the brakes or not. The brakes look great and that was what I was going for, considering all the compliments I get. It seems like I've noticed more people talking about my brakes than they do about the wheels lol, but people do still love the Wheels. :D

Oh my... Good gosh... You paid a lot but got performance. The paint upgrade adds no performance. Is this another RICER MOD? :omg:

NooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooo... :nono:

Who gives a ship. I like pretty parts :2tu:

Please note the complaint-free content. Dave, contemporary mod-rice Viper/Ricer owner, and I approve this message.

Last edited:

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was just poking fun at the ricer BS that goes around. You know, if it is not performance then it is rice. Which I don't agree with.

I believe that doing something like painting an unpainted part that shows, just as much displays pride in ownership than influence by the ****.

Please note the complaint-free content. Dave, contemporary mod-rice Viper/Ricer owner, and I approve this message.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
well said :2tu:

I was just poking fun at the ricer BS that goes around. You know, if it is not performance then it is rice. Which I don't agree with.

I believe that doing something like painting an unpainted part that shows, just as much displays pride in ownership than influence by the ****.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who gives a ship. I like pretty parts
I think this was over looked. I missed it the first time around and though you disapproved of my project.....i was hurt then read the post again....now I feel better :D

WOT!

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Johnny, you are out of control! Looks good. Are you going to make the rear logo match the fronts next?

BTW, I think I know where you could have picked up a BBK at a big discount. For not much more than you spent you could have had the real thing. Wish I knew you were looking to upgrade.

OP
OP
J

JohnnyViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yup i do plan on making the rear decals match, I have 4 decals left and hope they just cover over the ones on there now. That is on my to do list after If you are on the cruise this saturday we will chat about the BBK, I hope I can get my car back together in time!!!!

Johnny, you are out of control! Looks good. Are you going to make the rear logo match the fronts next?

BTW, I think I know where you could have picked up a BBK at a big discount. For not much more than you spent you could have had the real thing. Wish I knew you were looking to upgrade.

Fatboy 18

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wanted to ask a couple of questions about doing this mod, Exactly how clean do the calipers have to be? Also do you have to rub them down with grit paper to form a key for the new paint? If your calipers are black will the red paint cover ok or do you use a light primer first?

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's how I re-did mine.

1. Tal Airplane stripper to take all the old paint off my calipers.
2. Brake cleaner to get the Tal residue off.
3. 220 grit sandpaper all over them.
4. More brake cleaner and good wipe down with a tac cloth and compressed air.
5. Tape off everything you don't want painted.
6. Very light "dust" coating with the paint. (this gives an even better adhesion surface for the real paint)
7. 5 coats of paint.
8. 2 coats of clear.
9. Put new decal on.
10. 2 more coats of clear.