Went to Jiffy Lube to get oil, Transmission, and Differentail Fluid

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 93 viper. I went to Jiffy Lube to get oil(brought 10 qts Mobil one and mobil one filter), Transmission, and Differentail fluid changed. Looked in mannual and said it just took normal (what jiffy lube had) Transmission and Differntail fluid. I'm I in the wrong for getting this work done at Jiffy lube?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldent let them touch a viper.

but if they did a good job so be it.

Mr U-2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried using my on-base auto hobby shop but didn't have the front end clearance to get on a lift. I now use a local oil change place because it's closer than my Viper Tech. I buy the oil and filter. I open the hood...and watch 'em do everything. They're good guys and do a good job. Anything beyond a basic oil/filter change I do or the Viper Tech does....track prep..racing brake fluid etc. So far no problems with the oil guys though.

Paul :usa:

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
From the 1993 Service Manual:
For the Differential: Mopar High Performance Synthetic Axle Lube SAE 75W/140 (MS-8985) AND Mopar Hyphoid Gear Additive.

For the Tranny: Dexton II-E (later replaced by Dexton III in 1997)...and, while the Neutral Gear Rattle TSB in 1998, suggested the change to Mopar Synthetic Manual Transmission Lube 75W/85...this was cleared for 1994 and NEWER Vipers...which raised a question about the seals in the 92-93 models ( as investigated by Ron, our Tech Dir.)...worrisome OBVIOUS exclusion in the TSB, at least in the minds of a few. Therefore, if your tranny is original, I PERSONALLY would use Dexron III as I do in our 95 and 96 RT/10's.

Chuck?? Tom?? Len??

Reaction score
Paul,
I had the same problem on-base in Newport, RI. I bought two 2 x 12 x 12's and I cut them into 6', 4' and 2' sections. I then screwed them together while at the hobby shop, in sort of an offset pattern. Put the 6' one down so it butts up against the lift, then set the 4' on top and slide it so it butts up against the sloped part of the lift ramp....then the same with the 2'. Little bits of rubber on the bottom of the 6' and you're good to go! They let me leave it there, tucked away off to the side...and I said it was fair game for anyone else who was a bit on the low side. :)

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did I get the wrong info about the Differentail and Transmission fluid? They said it was Dexton

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did I get the wrong info about the Differentail and Transmission fluid? They said it was Dexton

Nope, using the Dextron III in your tranny is correct and MUCH cheaper. $2 a quart for Dex. $24 a quart for 75/85 :eek: :eek:

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im sorry I am going crazy (about ready to go burn Jiffy lube down). Asked them a over 10 times if they were sure this was the right fluids. Are these fluids right or wrong??!!! Please Help me.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rear axle fluid that JiffyLube sells now has the additive in it.

I've not taken my Viper there but my Vette goes there every time. Never a problem.

Me - "Don't touch the air filter, just do the regular job and use Mobil 1."

Them - "Yes sir, nice car."

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess I need a pager :)

Mopar has a friction modifier that is added separately to the Mopar differential fluid. If it is not already in the gear oil they gave you, you will know quickly as the clutch or cones inside the SureGrip/Positraction (whatever it's called now) will not slip properly and begin to chatter around slow, sharp turns (like parking.) Even though you want both wheels pushing the vehicle, there still is a controlled amount of slip in the differential so that turns (inside and outside tires traveling at different speeds) can be done smoothly.

Recommended transmission fluid was Dexron IIE, then III, then the light gear fluid in 75W-85. Guys! I'll take this example to show it's the additives that matter, not the base oil or type!! Yes, it's a little quieter with the gear oil in it, but all the friction, wear, oxidation control, cleanliness, etc are delivered by the additives rather than the base oil. Yup, mineral ATF works as well as synthetic gear oil (excluding NGR) in this case. OK, off my soap box... And there was no supplemental additive for transmissions.

Steve's fluid change concern should be personal preference for shift quality, as the last vehicle sensistive to seal swell or shrinkage with synthetic base oils was a Mazda rotary (which burned so much anyway nobody could tell.) The European OEMs have so many seal compatibility requirements (for materials not even used anymore) that there should not be any issue with any post-80's seals or gaskets.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Thanks, as usual, Tom.

Early93Viper, we all know your worries, as more that one of us has gotten worried after the facton a service situation...even at a Dodge dealership. That said, it's not possible to answer your repeated question ( " So I got it right??????? ") unless you supply the correct product names (and MS-codes) for the fluids installed. Hopefully, a brief call or return to Jiffy-Lube can supply the necessary info. To set your mind at ease (as Tom has done for me in the past) PLEASE feel free to contact anyone of us that are trying to help here...if you wish, e-mail your phone number to me and I'll call you...then we can hopefully check out the specific fluids, and set your mind at ease.

Regards,

Steve

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
By the way, Dan (and anyone else who may have SOME SLIGHT interest and/or concerns as to why the 1992 and 1993 Vipers were NOT specifically covered in the NGR TSB from 4/3/98, you might want to read this old thread posted here in 2003 ...especially the part by "Ron"....as, by my recollection, Ron TRACKED DOWN old employees from Borg Warner in his ENDLESS quest for the correct answers. This link presented ONLY in the interest of "science"...NO FLAMES aimed at anyone:

http://vca2.viperclub.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB14&Number=253142&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Is this another urban legend??? I SURE can't tell...but, as stated above, Dexron III works well in Gen I Vipers, in my opinion.

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steave thanks for the help but mind is overloaded right now. I should have just gone to the Dodge dealer. Really I just didn't want to take the time to find a Viper tech.

I will call Jiffy Lube and hopefully straighten out this mess.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Early93Viper,
Looks like you got the right fluids in the car if yuo put the Dextron III in the tranny and 75/140 in the rear end. Don't sweat it and go drive it! :2tu: :2tu:

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Im sorry I am going crazy (about ready to go burn Jiffy lube down). Asked them a over 10 times if they were sure this was the right fluids. Are these fluids right or wrong??!!! Please Help me.

LOL! I love it! Well, welcome to the club of Viper maintainance!

It's not hard at all...just write stuff down for the next time. Or call Chuck Tator for good old fashion advice and maybe a swift kick in the ****...so says chuck babel...I wouldn't know. :D

OP
OP
E

Early93Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Called Jiffy Lube said I had Dextron III in tranny and 75/90 fluid with attitive in the rear end. Since it is 75/90 do I need to replace the rear end fluid?

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Called Jiffy Lube said I had Dextron III in tranny and 75/90 fluid with attitive in the rear end. Since it is 75/90 do I need to replace the rear end fluid?

No, it should be fine, but for piece of mind call Chuck Tator 914-763-3136. Also go here for a fluid check for next time.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear about the Dexron III...you can drop that from your(OUR) immediate worry list.

Would be good to know the type/brand of diff. fluids used, but I PERSONALLY would go to the stand Mopar fluids. This is easy to change with a home made fluid suction setup (search for ab's post on same). For diff, remove plug with 3/8 inch hex Allen male socket: I **** out fluid with a modified brake bleeder driven off of air compressor)...then refill with "MOPAR 75w140 Synthetic gear and axle lube PLUS 4oz of the synthetic additive(takes about 44 ozs TOTAL)...replace plug, torque to 180 INCH-lbs ( NOT FOOT LBS !!!)

HERE ARE THE MOPAR fluids:

Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant 75W-140 P/N 04874469... takes about 40 oz.

and

Limited Slip Additive Friction Modifier 04318060AB...takes
4 oz.

95Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally, I'd change out the fluids again if I was him with OEM. That might be overkill but I'd sleep better if it was me. I'd want that 4oz additive in the diff.

joe117

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always wondered what it was in that little additive bottle, that would modify the friction.

I mean the clutches are already running in an oil bath. Why wouldn't that be enough to make them slip as much as they need to?

Is it like adding WD-40?

Just asking. :)

Got_Vnum

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Early93Viper, where do you live? Maybe the guys/gals on the forum can help you find a Viper tech in your area. Wow...I feel really lucky that I work 5 miles from Dan Cragins shop!