What amsoil tranny fluid for our cars?

viper04blk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The mopar tranny fluid is a 75W-85 . Amsoil does not make anything like this. What amsoil did you guys use?

Dave1968

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got it for you. t56 tranny GL4 chrysler spec MS - 9070. Use the Amsoil Manual Transmission and Gear Lube 75W90. I checked with my buddy at Dodge and he gave me the Dodge Specs. If you read the details of this oil on the Amsoil sight, you scroll down and the specs as well as the part no.s are there. The Chrysler part number listed is the one he also gave me. This is it - hands down.

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was told by the Tremec guys that this fluid may not be compatable with the carbon blocker rings in the transmission, they suggested the 75w85 Syntorque, ATF+4 or BG Synchro Shift 75w80.

Dave1968

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm. ATF +4 is automatic tranmission fluid - so that's a no. The Amsoil numbers all jive, just scroll down towards the bottom

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The newer Viper T6060 2008-2015 uses ATF+4. It is an automatic transmission fluid but is now used in gearboxes and power steering systems for many Chrysler products. This thin oil is good for ease of shifting and it has a friction modifier
additive that improves shear strength.

From 1992-1997 the T56 Transmission in the Viper used Dexron 3 automatic transmission fluid. They changed to Castrol Syntorque 75w85 lubricant in 1997 because of complaints of neutral gear rattle. The camshaft change on the new Gen 2 engine had a lumpy idle, which rattled the mainshaft in transmission at idle with the clutch in, resulting in a sound that was like a bunch of marbles in a tin can. The thicker oil dampened the noise and corrected the complaint.
A side effect of the new oil was a little heavier shifting (more so in the cold) and longer lubricant life (the ATF would not hold up to the heat and require more frequent changes).

John Dontao, retired driveline development engineer for Team Viper and owner of Donato Racing Transmissions suggests the Syntorque in all applications, including racing.

Hope this helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper