What brand of leather cleaner to use?

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't have any leather cleaner for the viper so I need to pick something up. What do you recommend?

I also have a Ford King Ranch. Would you use the same leather cleaner on that car also? If not what would you use on that one too. :dunno:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Auto Glym leather creme and am quite happy with the result, though I'm sure there are better brands out there.

Slypopsracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use the King Ranch on the Viper, Ducati leather jacket ,plane, etc. Love it, but the NTSB took the 8oz bottle away from me on a commercial flight, so it must be explosive as well:dunno:

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the King Ranch on the Viper, Ducati leather jacket ,plane, etc. Love it, but the NTSB took the 8oz bottle away from me on a commercial flight, so it must be explosive as well:dunno:

It must have been like the lotion on Peanut's butt (one of the characters Jeff Dunham has in his show).. once customs ran it through their scanner and got a "military grade explosives" result you were done for :eater:

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam's has a nice cleaner and conditioner and I still have some Lexol cleaner and conditoner which works good but makes your leather smell like a saddle.

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
leather masters is the best. but its pricey and mail order only.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Lexol on a regular basis, Leather Masters is also good, the kit has a 2 step process, you gonna clean the leather before you protect it.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tito,

I have a tech question that I'm not sure about. A detailer explained leather seats to me this way.

If you can put a drop of water on the leather and it leaves a "wet stain", then it is uncoated leather and a true leather cleaner and leather conditioner will actually soak in and make it supple and keep it from cracking. Ford King Ranch seats are like this according to the detailer.

My Excursion has leather seats, but they are coated leather. The way I see it, it is pretty much a leather seat with some sort of synthetic coating on it (vinyl like material). Using a uber high end leather conditioner on coated seats doesn't help because it can't soak in. The detailer said you could use any type of interior dressing with UV protection and you'd pretty much be good. I have multiple cars with leather seats, and every one of them has the coating that doesn't let water soak in.

Tito, what are your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance,
George

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I was about to add Turbo Wax to this thread since it's what I've been using. Anytime I asked about leather cleaner I got a dumb look in response. Since Leather cleaner and Leather conditioner (both or each) were recommended I'm not sure there's much difference. Expecially since the stuff is also recommended for plastic and vinyl

Ted

Tito Tw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Questions! I too have a 2003 Ford Excursion Diesel and the thing is a Beast!

To your questions. First, there is a product out there referred to as synthetic leather, also many "leather interiors" only have leather on the seat surfaces.

First,make sure you are dealing with true leather, no additives, etc. Then you can test the product.

The reason it is recommended for vinyl, plastic and other materials of that nature in the interior is that vinyls, plastics and most of the other materials all need to be protected from UV, all have oils in them and as these oils are allowed to be unprotected, the surface of the material starts to change color, become hard and brittle and eventually crack.

Another reason for using the conditioner on these materials is the fact that it does not contain any petroleum distillates, this product over a period of time will dry out the surface and allow it to crack.

Hope this answers your questions.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tito,

A friend of mine worked as a Detailer in a GM Dealership and he informed me that Armor All was a silcone based product. Although it made your dash and seats look great, the silicone in it would crack vinyl and ruin your interior.

I did watch a guy Armor All his motorcycle for a car show. After the show he fired up his custom bike and fell over. Idiot had Amor All'd his tire tread! Slippery!

Ted

Martin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tito,

A friend of mine worked as a Detailer in a GM Dealership and he informed me that Armor All was a silcone based product. Although it made your dash and seats look great, the silicone in it would crack vinyl and ruin your interior.

I did watch a guy Armor All his motorcycle for a car show. After the show he fired up his custom bike and fell over. Idiot had Amor All'd his tire tread! Slippery!

Ted

I made a similar mistake when I was a kid - I Armor All'd my steering wheel and vinyl bench seats... That was a lesson learned. Your hands slip off the steering wheel when trying to go around a corner, and then your ass flies off to the side of the vinyl bench seats...

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I made a similar mistake when I was a kid - I Armor All'd my steering wheel and vinyl bench seats... That was a lesson learned. Your hands slip off the steering wheel when trying to go around a corner, and then your ass flies off to the side of the vinyl bench seats...

Oh boy, Same here was drag racing in my 1972 Buick Skylark GS with a bench seat and no seatbelt. Took a slight corner doing about 70 and ended up in the passenger seat from Armor All in my vinyl seats. I hit the breaks and grabbed the wheel ending up in a backyard.

Bruce

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've used Lexol products (cleaner then conditioner) for years, never had a problem with leather on any car I regularly used it on.

Regards,
Aaron

Tito Tw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unfortunately, we are in a bad position from behind our desk, we see a lot of bad stuff but who are we to judge or critize other brands, especially when they are well name brands: the same applies to tennis shoes soft drinks, etc.

Turbo Wax was never intended to compete with the $3.99 products in the market simply because there is no comparison between the products, either in performance or quality of manufacture.

A common characteristic of the lesser cost products in the market is the unusually high content of solvents in the product. High content solvent products will give a quick shine, that is true, but this will not last, and through a prolonged use of products like these will cause the surface deteriorate.

There's a market for everything and name branding is the name of the game, even if the product doesn't deliver.

I will never forget one experience, I was trying to remove the insulation from our race car, 7 trips to Home Depot following the instructions step by step all 7 products failed to perform the job as advertised. At the end a heat gun and a scrapper did the job,I as a consumer I wasted my money and the companies earned MY money and lost me as a customer.

In today's days I don't think 90% of the companies care.

vpower01

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I totally understand its the same for my company, most people want a cheap fix. :nono:
Some learn some dont. Its all about money im afraid.

2snakes4us

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get your leather cleaner and conditioner at ANY Harley Davidson Dealership. the stuff is Fantastic and is designed to protect leather that is exposed to the elements.

OP
OP
J

JHill9

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up some Lexol but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Went with it since people were recommending it for the King Ranch leather too. If it doesn't work the way I want I will have to find something else. I will take some before and after pictures to see if it makes a difference.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a Meguiar's guy, so I've been using their leather cleaner/softener/protector on the Viper and my ot
her cars. Always leaves the leather soft, but not slippery.

Turbowax has a leather cleaner/protector which I am thinking of trying.

But, my car spends 99.999999% of the time covered in my garage so I am not as concerned with protection from Sun/heat/UV.

I've also used Lexol in the past on my Vette interiors, but prefer the feel of the seats after using Meguiars.

SnakeCharmer99

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm dating myself here but did any you guys try the "old school" method, Murphy's Saddle Soap cleaner/conditioner and a can of Mink Oil?

These products have been around for 50 plus years and are specifically designed for all types of leather. The bonus is they can be had at any KMart, Walmart, even some grocery stores for very little money. Less than $10 depending on your area.

The saddle soap is pH balanced and very gentle to use. The Mink Oil is designed to replace the natural oils in your leather it is a bit of work to rub it in evenly but the results are fantastic, low sheen, non slippery, and makes the leather soft and supple.

I've been using this combo for a moons age on everything from furniture to coats to shoes cars...etc you get the idea. For what its worth give it a shot you'll be amazed. I'm not a pro detailer just old and set in my ways of doing things. :)~

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm dating myself here but did any you guys try the "old school" method, Murphy's Saddle Soap cleaner/conditioner and a can of Mink Oil?

These products have been around for 50 plus years and are specifically designed for all types of leather. The bonus is they can be had at any KMart, Walmart, even some grocery stores for very little money. Less than $10 depending on your area.

The saddle soap is pH balanced and very gentle to use. The Mink Oil is designed to replace the natural oils in your leather it is a bit of work to rub it in evenly but the results are fantastic, low sheen, non slippery, and makes the leather soft and supple.

I've been using this combo for a moons age on everything from furniture to coats to shoes cars...etc you get the idea. For what its worth give it a shot you'll be amazed. I'm not a pro detailer just old and set in my ways of doing things. :)~

i should have remembered this :omg:

we used that combo in the early 70's on our baseball gloves, learned it from an old cajun in our neighborhood, Saddle Soap and Mink Oil :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Last edited:

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Leatherique Kit from Auto Geek else where possibly I have used it on my Gen II and my King Ranch and it gives amazing results

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still only use Zaino Brothers products. Best value and quality I ahve ever used on any car and until the product fails I have no need to try another one.