What diff gears are best with a 5lb Roe set up?

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just trying to get some opinions.

What do Roe owners reccomend on 5lb gen 2 setups? stock 3.07? 3.55? something inbetween? Right now I have a 3.73 think thats a death wish....

Will have full exhaust and roller rockers.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Martin-

klamathpro

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Do you still have your stock gears? I would go the free route first. But if you don't have the 3.07 and don't plan on going with more boost, get 3.33 or 3.55. If it were me I'd go with 3.33's. I plan on sticking with 3.07 when I get my paxton setup because I'll be running a 10 PSI pulley.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had 3.73 with my 6.5 Roe for a couple of years. Switched to a 3.33 2 yrs ago. Liking it much better.
If I ever change again, it'll be back to the stock 3.07.

Side note: this is all on stock wheel/tire diameters. If you go taller tire diameters, your gear will change.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you go taller tire diameters, your gear will change.

Changing tire sizes never changes your gear ratio. Ever. The only way to change gear ratios is by changing gears. If you increase or decrease tire diameter it will alter the overall ratio of the driveline; the effective or apparent gear ratio.

If changing tires changes gears, then the next time my diff goes out I'm just gonna buy new tires.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
don't forget to rotate and balance that diff too when you get new tires :D
I guess I shouldve made myself more clear. Yes, effective gear ratio is what was meant.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Houses have two lines. Hot water and cold water. You want a heater to heat the hot water line. You do not want a cold water line heater.

Just funnin. Another perspective...

Also...Why does flamable and inflamable mean the same thing. Just sayin'

OP
OP
M

Martin2000GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Damn its gotta be scarey with 3.73's though....Ken, are you sure you have 3.73's? your running 10lbs with650 rwhp on 3.73's? yikes!! if thats true.

I think 3.73's are great on a stock viper but with a ROE unit i dunno. Thanks for all the replies more are welcome.

I have 19" rear wheels 345/30/19 PS2 on rear.

Martin

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The net with my 20's and 3.73's is a 3.45. So if you have 19's @ 27.15 OD versus 18's @ 25.91 OD, the correction factor is 0.954. Take 3.73 * 0.954 and the equivalent gear ratio is 3.55. Sounds like 3.73's would be perfect.

Edit: I also have a Giken. Might consider that or a Quaife when choosing gears.

ViperVenomSC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know for sure that I'm not running 3:73's. I think it's more like 3:45's judging from the revs on the highway. The car is still more than a handful. You'll have to get used to the supercharger's "instant" horsepower.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Giken takes less machine work on the stub axles thus is theoretically stronger there. It does however pop very ******* tight corners sometimes. That is not a pleasant experience when it does that. The hookup is impressive though; can't complain about that aspect. Although there are other owners using the Giken on track and street, I might suggest drag and drift for it, and use the Quaife for street, where going around a corner doesn't have you gritting your teeth wondering when a halfshaft is going to break. The Giken pop jerks the car. It is not fun.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth