What does the SRT sound like?

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have straight pipes and no secondary cats. It is quite loud when I get on it, but subtle when being nice. I have often thought how to explain the sound of the V-10 to 'newbies'. Most people try to fit the sound into a category they already know. "kinda like a six cyl, right?" "Sounds like my cousins Integra, right?" Nope. Clueless. So I tried to come up with a generic everone knows sound to help them. Locomotive? Kinda, but too dieselly. 454 cigarette boat? Maybe at idle, but not on the gas.

Then it came to me at 3500 rpm. I gentle rolled on the gas and shazam!
A WWII fighter plane nosing into a strafing run! P-51 sorta, but wasn't that a Mustang? What did the guys in Black Sheep Squadron fly?

Please help me refine my idea: Any other WWII airplanes with cool names?

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice analogy. Yes, the P-51 was called the Mustang. The guys on "Black Sheep" flew F4U Corsairs. Some other American aircraft names were: Thunderbolt, Lightning, Avenger, Hellcat, Tomahawk, Warhawk, Cobra... to name just a few.

OP
OP
V

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tomahawk has a nice ring to it! What was the 'number' of that plane? I'll type it into Google and see what I come up with.

OP
OP
V

Viperfreak2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thunder Mustang Home Page has two sound files at the bottom. One is a fastpass, and the other is a squadron. If I close my eyes I can hear Vipers.
3104P51_engine.jpg

3104P51_engine_2-med.jpg

Skip White

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Metro milk truck, or UPS truck with a hole in the muffler. But that's only when putting around, taking off really normal. That all changes when you punch it. Things come alive in the motor then. Odd fire engines are all somewhat like this. The fact that it's a V-10 with a fairly deep stroke motor and the huge amount of cubic inches,(500) also contributes to the strange sound.

Skip White

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like a very quiet subdued gen 1 or 2 car.The sound of a v-10 is unique.Not like a 4 cyl buzz,6 cyl whine,8 cyl burble or 12 cyl song.More like a screach or scream. Bruce

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Like a very quiet subdued gen 1 or 2 car.The sound of a v-10 is unique.Not like a 4 cyl buzz,6 cyl whine,8 cyl burble or 12 cyl song.More like a screach or scream. Bruce

Umm... stock SRT's are louder than stock G1/G2, and sound much better in stock form. Other than stock all depends on what you do to it, there is no way to compare.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dugger