What grade of gas do you use in your Viper ?

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay I know that owner's manual recommends to use 93 octan.
But what if, this grade is not available ?
In Quebec we don't have 93, the highest grade available is 91.

I have a Mercedes C230 compressor.
MB also recommends to use 93 but I use 87 and the car runs perfectly.
I had a Dodge Stealth R/T 1995. I put 100000mi in the car using 87 grade.
In Canada the only thing that the 87 octan contains is just gas, there are no anti-pollution aditives(like methanol).

Another interesting fact about gas. I have a Suzuki racing bike. Its manual has a section on gas grade. It says that US customers have to use 91 grade but in Canada 87 is the grade to use !

I had a discussion on this matter with guys from California.
In California if you put 87 in a Mercedes, the car will have a lot of difficulty to run smoothly.

What about the Viper ?
Is there somebody who had experience (good or bad) to run the Viper on 87 Canadian or 87 US ?

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i use 93 or 94 also and there is one place when i can get there i use 105

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Highest you can find.Remember Dodge does not use knock sensors.I doub't many can hear it knock at WOT and high RPM.The timing and fuel curve are conservative in case you get some bad gas.Lean out the motor and advance the timing with one of the reprograming devices and there's are good chance of burned valves etc.Cars with knock sensors and low octane gas are probably ok and you just lose performance not the motor. Bruce

Viperguynick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just have a quick ? If the Vipers compression ratio is 9.6:1, that means that the MINIMUM octane that should be used is 89. But when I own one I have to agree that nothing less the the absolute highest I can get my hands on will be going in the tank.

-Nick-

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here in Canada the most commun is 87 octane and I can tell you that even high compression car can run on this one.

In Netherlands do you have methanol in your gas ?

cayenne

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've heard tale that in some areas, you can go get fuel at the local airport that is REALLY high in octane....

Anyone know if this is true? Is the fuel safe to use or do you need to mod your engine first?

cayenne

OP
OP
S

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Air fuel is not the same. You can't use it in a Viper.
That's Kerosen which some people use in the diesel engins.
If some people (pilots, mechanics) fuels their car at airports it is because they steal the fuel ... I have seen guys doing that in the Army.
In Quebec the IRS hunts for people who use heating fuel to run their diesel cars !! Heating fuel contains more sulfure and pollutes a lot but costs 50% less than regular fuel ...

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could use av gas in a viper.Not necessary unless you are running very high compression,advance or boost and ca't find auto race gas.Not worth buying a whole tank full.Just a couple of gallons to bump up your pump gas.It used to come in 3 octane levels and colors. Bruce

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235