What happens if I mix up spark plug wires?

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets say I mixed up and crossed over two spark plug wires. What is the worst that could happen and how the car will behave to show me that I missconnected wires to the wrong cylinders?

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could potentially destroy the intake and/or blow the gaskets or worse especially if you ignite the intake stroke...

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, the car will run like crap (rough idle and misfire). And if you don't know what 'runs like crap' means, you'll know that it now doesn't sound or feel (shakes more) the same as it did before. Rule of thumb when changing wires: Change them one at a time!

OP
OP
Y

YLW DRM2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As others have mentioned, the car will run like crap (rough idle and misfire). And if you don't know what 'runs like crap' means, you'll know that it now doesn't sound or feel (shakes more) the same as it did before. Rule of thumb when changing wires: Change them one at a time!

Ok, thank you guys. I am safe for now :).

VENOMAHOLIC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it will run like a corvette

LMAO:rolaugh::lmao: That was the best laugh I had this week. Like the above poster said, change one at a time. I have in my youth crossed wires on my old DD and the results weren't catastrophic because I turned it right off rught away but lets just say it didn't sound good.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you have to ask this very question, I would say maybe someone else should fix your wires for you. The answer is simple, pull them all off and install them one at a time according to the firing order. They are geneally length specific to the cylinders.

If you get them wrong, the car will A.) not start at all or B.) Run like crap. If B.) then shut car off immediately and figure out where you went wrong. That very brief few seconds runtime on improperly wired coils will not hurt it, just don't let it run forever and start reving it up. You should know within 1/2 a second if it is wired wrong. If you can't figure it out, again maybe you should not be working on that part and get someoe else to do it for you.

V

Venomiss

Get a picture of your engine before starting to change them out so you have a reference for yourself.

Don't cross the streams-too funny. Is he the keymaster or the gatekeeper?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper