What is Best High Gloss Product for Rubber/Plastic in Engine Compartment

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know I've seen posts on this subject, but could not find anything using search.

So, if someone can chime in, what is the best product for getting a high gloss shine on plastic and rubber in the engine compartment. I've tried things like Armour All, but the shine is hardly noticeable. I want this for an upcoming show and want a "show look". I know some guys/gals use WD-40, but I've read mixed reactions to its long term effects on rubber.

Any help/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks.:headbang:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
id always worry about any of those products drying out the rubber or degrading it prematurely

not to mention it didnt come from the factory with it on

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Adam's sells two that could work for your application. Most people use the V.R.T. because it conditions the material and will not dry it out like Armor All. The V.R.T. will leave a low gloss shine.

In order to get a high gloss shine, use the Undercarriage Spray either on top of the V.R.T. or by itself. Undercarriage stays on a long time.

If you're interested in either product, email me and I will give you a great price.

You must be registered for see images

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the undercarriage spray is great in the wheel wells too.

VRT is awsome, kinda reminds me of a product I used to use a long time ago...'back to black', think Mother's makes it.

the VRT lasts a lot longer.

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Good to hear people are using it! Both the V.R.T. and Undercarriage come in 16oz and Gal sizes. A lot of people buy both by the gal.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmm, I might have to try the V.R.T. under the hood. Does it attract dust?

For now, I simply use detail spray. Seems to look pretty good. Not too shiney, not too dull. No oily film either.

2851.JPG

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I use the Adams undercarriage spray in the wheelwells of my truck (04 Ram 3500)when I get ready to show it. I'm a big fan of Adam's myself (love the detail spray), but have never used VRT. I do like 303 Protectant, however. Don't know if I'd use the undercarriage spray in the engine compartment. It's a bit heavy, and your engine will have a grape smell!:lmao:

Go sign up at Autopia.org, and you'll have YEARS of reading about every kind of detailing, and every product know to man!

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I picked up a product a few weeks ago that the detail bloggers were talking about called CD-2 Engine Detailer.
Turtle Wax - Engine Detailer

It gives the engine itself a nice luster, without being greasy and attracting dust/dirt. It doesn't, however, have the effect I'm looking for on the plastic and rubber parts (hoses) in the engine compartment.

Am reading up on the products recommended here - Adams, Turbowax - as well as a Meguiar's Supreme Shine product I found. While I know many of the members use some very high end wax products with great results, I have always gotten very good results with Meguiars.

Thanks to everyone for their comments/recommendations.:headbang:

Last edited:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adam's sells two that could work for your application. Most people use the V.R.T. because it conditions the material and will not dry it out like Armor All. The V.R.T. will leave a low gloss shine.

In order to get a high gloss shine, use the Undercarriage Spray either on top of the V.R.T. or by itself. Undercarriage stays on a long time.

If you're interested in either product, email me and I will give you a great price.

I have some good news for you. In & Out Spray is coming back!

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:omg:

2851.JPG

are you planning on eating off those engine compartments

Brian_Brice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In and out, and VRT are the only two Adams products I care for.

Meguiars Hyper Dressing is very versatile and looks great under the hood.

Stoner liquid or spray trim shine.

Brian_Brice

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Glad you said it, many of us have known that for a very long time, but we always end up looking like a hater or something if we mention it.

In and out is the only product from adams I buy, but I don't know what product is really under the label. I don't use any of their products but.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Glad you said it, many of us have known that for a very long time, but we always end up looking like a hater or something if we mention it.

In and out is the only product from adams I buy, but I don't know what product is really under the label. I don't use any of their products but.

I'm very interested in seeing any proof you guys have of this claim. Anyone capable of doing a Google search will not only find out that Chemical Guys was formed 5 years AFTER the founding of Adam's Polishes, but Chemical Guys is an offshoot of Warner Chemicals! Thus, the claim that Adam's is actually a rebadged CG product not only holds no water, it logically makes no sense. This is, however, what I will say.

There are very few companies that manufacture detailing products. Thus, quite a few companies get their base supplies from the same place and add their own private additives to their products. It's just like Keebler and Famous Amos Cookies. They both sell chocolate chip cookies that consist of flour, sugar and chocolate chips. However, their cookies taste different and have a different consistency. They may get their sugar, chocolate chips and flour from the same manufacturer, but you can taste the difference in both cookies as soon as you bite into them. The reason being is that each manufacturer has their own blend that they add to their base product.

Does that make one better than the other? Maybe, maybe not but it definitely makes them different from one another.

One thing that all car care companies share at this time is clay. There is one company in America (Clay Magic) that has the patent on clay. There are various grits of clay but again, only one company makes it. Speaking strictly of consumer clay, the only difference in one company's clay compared to another is how much you get and the cost. Leaving grit out of the equation, all clay in America is the same. Now over seas, the story is a little different.

I hate to speak without supplying proof but all I have is this. I spent the night in the Adam's warehouse detailing a race car for a customer who allowed me to borrow it during my visit last year in California. At the end of the day, the bottling crew showed up and started the night shift. I saw them stocking the shelves and bottling the product which was not all that interesting. I did want to take a shot of this 62' that was being restored. To the right of the car, you can see all the labels that go on the various products. This is in the bottling area of the warehouse. I watched them fill orders for a while and not one of those 55 gallon drums under those work benches had the words "Chemical Guys" or "Warner Chemicals" on them. Thus, "those in the business" may not be as informed as they think they are.

It's all good though as there are plenty of products on the market that will take your car to Shineville. I always say that quite a few products will get you there, only the process tends to be different. I can take any quality product on the market and when I'm done, you won't know who's shine is on the vehicle. A product snob I am not! There are quite a few products on the market that work as advertised and I have a few of them in my arsenal. I always believe in using the product that best fits the issues that I'm looking at.

Here's my ride with no wax on it. This is just after I finished washing and polishing what few imperfections I could find. For me, a shine is a shine as long as it blings. I could care less who's name is on the bottle as long as it works. Oh, by the way, that's 9 year old paint on a car with 115,000 miles on it. No garage queens in my stable! :2tu:

P.S. Don't hold it against me that I drive a Vette! :omg:

Last edited:

Brian_Brice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm definitely not a product snob, I use the best product for every situation based on my thousands of hours of troubleshooting and sampling. I don't care to get in an argument with you, you seem like a good guy. Testing done on Buttery wax

and chemical guys butter wet wax was one of the main indicators if I remember correctly. I really don't care though no offense, and nice to meet ya. Good looking vette you got there.

I'm well aware of the patent on clay, distributors and relabeled products.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No argument out of me, I'm only spreading the knowledge! Buttery Wax is the least protective wax that Adam's has. If I wanted to try something for longevity, I would try out the Machine Superwax. ;)

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you mix the VRT with water 50/50, it is about the same make up as the In/Out Spray, just not as convenient because you have to use a pump sprayer. I will be very happy if they come out with the In/Out Spray.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you mix the VRT with water 50/50, it is about the same make up as the In/Out Spray, just not as convenient because you have to use a pump sprayer. I will be very happy if they come out with the In/Out Spray.

I think the release date will be Father's Day. The extremely fine mist that it creates makes the application extremely easy. The formula that they are releasing this time is even better, if you can imagine that!

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thank you Junkman for clarifying. The point of the forums is to spread knowledge to other enthusiasts, but the information needs to be correct.

I met Adam a few years ago and have been using his products for at least 8 years. I became a dealer because the quality of his products and his outstanding customer support. We use so much of his products, the only option was to become a dealer. It is not what I do for a living.

Obviously, Adam was not the first person to sell detail products, but he definitely does not repackage someone else's products. I work in the Pharma industry and deal a lot with chemical suppliers. There are only a few chemical manufacturers. Most are just suppliers. You'll see it from Pharma to auto paint. It's the same story for batteries and oil filters. So there's a good chance Adam sources his ingredients from the same manufacturer that other detail shops source theirs.

Here's a link you should read:
The Adam's Story - Early Days - Adam's Polishes Forums

I will not get into an argument over whose product is the best.

As a Viper owner and Adam's dealer, I want to offer the best services and prices, just as Adam would, to other Viper owners.

BTW, Junkman def. knows his stuff and will be a huge asset to this forum.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have a different mix of manufacturers' products in my arsenal - depending on which vehicle I'm detaiing. My Ram is "Bright White", my SRT8 is "Detonator Yellow", and the Viper is "Viper Black". I use Adam's Detail Spray a lot, but I also like Megs 34Final Inspection for that purpose as well. Mothers FX Spray Wax is also great stuff.

They all work differently on the different color vehicles. By the way, I've watched Junkman work at the Adams booth at Carlisle, and his work is amazing. :drive:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey Thompson, I see you're in PA! I'll be doing a detailing seminar there at Grabiak Chevrolet on July 24th. Open and totally free to the public! Maybe you can drop by and bring me a Viper to use in my demo!

Thanks for chiming in! :2tu:

...They all work differently on the different color vehicles. By the way, I've watched Junkman work at the Adams booth at Carlisle, and his work is amazing. :drive:

I'll be there for the Ford, Chrysler and Corvette Nationals again this year! :2tu:

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where is Grabiak Chevy? I could bring my Viper by, it could use a good Junkman job!

Grabiak Chevrolet
8282 Route 22
New Alexandria, PA 15670

PM me some pics of the condition of your car. Let's talk! :2tu:

Brian_Brice

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They all work differently on the different color vehicles.
By the way, I've watched Junkman work at the Adams booth at Carlisle, and his work is amazing. :drive:

Could you elaborate please. Are you suggesting that different anti static polymers react different depending on the base coat (very few vehicles are shot single stage now days) pigment?

Or do you just feel like using more of a synthetic on light colored vehicles etc?

I am very curious, how do they work different on clearcoated surfaces in your experience?

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Grabiak Chevrolet
8282 Route 22
New Alexandria, PA 15670

PM me some pics of the condition of your car. Let's talk
\

Yikes, that's a bit of a haul. I'll have to pass, but I'll try and catch up with you at Carlisle.

Brian, as to how they work, when I get some time tonight, I'll try to write us a little reply on the differences I see in the three vehicles. I haven't tried enough different products yet on the Viper, but I can see that it is going to be a challenge!

Brian_Brice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
\

Yikes, that's a bit of a haul. I'll have to pass, but I'll try and catch up with you at Carlisle.

Brian, as to how they work, when I get some time tonight, I'll try to write us a little reply on the differences I see in the three vehicles. I haven't tried enough different products yet on the Viper, but I can see that it is going to be a challenge!

That'd be great, I'd love to hear what your thoughts are. And I am well aware of the products being used so I don't need a breakdown, just curious what you think makes each different. Over the years I hear so many different perspectives on different products, and side by side the most knowledgeable concours prep guys (myself incuded) and vp's of different product manufacturers couldn't identify one lsp from another. One QD, from another, a wowa panel from a high carnuaba content paste.

So I am always curious what different people "see" that makes them decide on a product.:2tu:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth