What is the latest condition of the Barber instructor injured?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On my day of the road course a Barber instructor was injured pretty bad on the foot (from what I was told) after a Viper lost control and wrecked. I certainly hope he is doing well and I would imagine future events will have a lot more restrictions when and if Barber rides along with us.

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was the driver & I would wonder what would put me in that category. I doubt any of you know me, were @ the accident or know what I did afterwords. I have been in frequent contact w/ the Skip Barber outfit & the VCA offering my support for Jeff.

My major concern thru this whole thing has been about Jeff & his progress. Losing the car was a very big deal to me & even so, it is nothing compared to how I feel about what happened to Jeff.

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
W-TF Where did you hear that?

The driver is a member of our region. He has been on the track before this event (with Skip Barber instrutors). He is a very nice guy that is deeply concerned about the whole ordeal.

I will not go in to the details of the accident, but I will say that what you heard is not true.

I was one of the first non medics to get over to the accident and I even helped use the jaws of life to get the instructors shoe out of the car. We all wish Jeff a speedy recovery. This was a accedent and nothing more. It happens sometimes.

Warfang

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken,

Sorry to read about the loss of your Viper, and the anguish for being the driver when someone got hurt, but accidents do happen. I'm just glad you both made it out alright, and the injuries were not life threatening.

For what it's worth, you don't seem like a @$$ to me. ;)

Cobraken

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again for your help & support.

I do want to thank everyone for their help & understanding especially the members of the Oregon club. The ordeal was made much better by you folks.

I know this thing is not over & I would like to ask everyone to do what they can for Jeff & let him know that my support has always been there for him.

Ken Madison

RAYSIR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man Walker, I feel for both you guys!!!! That was one fast hairpin. This was my 1st time driving a Roval and coming up on that turn was fast, instructor yell'n brake, brake. I was in the yellow group and saw the aftermath and was there help'n get the ice out of the water bins.
There was lots of RUMORS going around and only you and Jeff could clear them up. How bad was he hurt? That's the biggest one. That was a horrible crash!! My tears and prayers for both of you guys!!!

BarbaraAnn

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There, but for the grace of God...I'm sure both Ken and Jeff feel awful about what happened. For what it's worth, so do I...

God bless!

02 Graphite GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Walker, I did not have the pleasure of meeting you, but did in fact meet a bunch of great guys from your club throughout the week. When the news of your unfortunate accident made it back to the Venetian...for me personally (and I'm sure for many others as well), my throat got tight and I felt the anguish and suffering for all involved, as if you were a close relative. Fact of the matter is that we all share an unwritten bond with eachother. I know that what I feel is nowhere near to the reality of what you are going through, but please know you have my support and prayers.
Lance

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I talked to Ken as they were loading up his car and he was nice to me.
I think the rumors wouldn't have to be rumors if someone officially would come out and say "this is what happened".
Why are Viper crashes at the schools/events swept under the rug? I can see not sharing a picture that has an injured person in it but what's the big deal of taking/showing a picture of a wrecked car? I think pictures of a wrecked vipers at these type of events would let people know that stuff can happen and drive as safe as possible. Most racers like pictures of their mishaps, I had one of my circle track racer friends ask me from the stretcher if I got any pictures of the crash.

snnseatl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am honored to say that Ken is a friend of mine. I have never seen him act in any way less than perfect gentlemen since I have met him. When I saw him after the accident all he was worried about was the instructor. It never ceases to amaze me that people say things they know nothing about without any regard to the truth or the feelings of the people involved. I just want Ken to know that the people who know you are behind you 100%. You are welcome in Washington anytime, Viper or not!

Heather
WAVCA

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it would be great to have a formal release about what happened and how Jeff is going.

My track day was on Wednesday and some of the younger instructors were very unconfortable. Only on Thursday things got more friendly. While driving I had no idea where the accident happened. The track was rather dusty and track edge was uneven so I had to be very carefull. Some guys didn't want to risk their viper so they just drove a couple of laps.

In the aviation industry all accidents are investigated and causes are published so it never happens again. We should do the same.

I also got "solicitation" mails for Jeff.
Before we do something we would like to know what is going on to have an idea about what we can do for him.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the aviation industry all accidents are investigated and causes are published so it never happens again. We should do the same.
In aviation, the NTSB attributes 'pilot error' to 90+% of all crashes, since pilots are expected to be aware of the conditions, the capabilities of their craft, and their own limitations and capabilities as pilots. The same can be said for track events, except perhaps HPDE events where lots of untrained drivers are going too fast for their own ability, don't really know the ability of their vehicle, and have very limited knowledge of the track. Instructors can contribute to this because they know what speeds a capable driver will take a corner and are expecting a student to be able to navigate the correct line with their guidance. It is easier said than done. I don't know what happenned at this crash, but EVERYONE should be ansy the first day of a HPDE, esp the green group. CAUTIOUS should be the appropriate attitude, no matter what happenned in this instance or other crashes. SAFETY FIRST! Get well soon Jeff! Let us know if you need anything!! (Best wishes to you too Ken.) :2tu:

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How will this effect VOI's if the instructor sues the Viper Club of America?

"The instructor's attorney has told my ins co that he intends to sue me beyond the policy limits. Hinting around $500,000 pain & suffering. His medical bills are purportably close to $100,000. He will be suing the race track, SRT, Barber & maybe the club."

FloridaChris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"The instructor's attorney has told my ins co that he intends to sue me beyond the policy limits. Hinting around $500,000 pain & suffering. His medical bills are purportably close to $100,000. He will be suing the race track, SRT, Barber & maybe the club."

I'm sure he signed a release to get on the track. The US tort system is seriously broken. I feel bad about the instructor getting hurt, but it was an ACCIDENT. If he sues anybody he has lost ALL of my sympathy.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I'm sure he signed a release to get on the track. The US tort system is seriously broken. I feel bad about the instructor getting hurt, but it was an ACCIDENT. If he sues anybody he has lost ALL of my sympathy.

Ditto!

MoparMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How will this effect VOI's if the instructor sues the Viper Club of America?

Wow! Is that quote for real?

PaViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would think that given the line of work it would be "an acceptable risk", if it gets ugly, the driver should countersue for damages resulting from the instructor failing to do his job. I would hope that this is not really happening though, it would be unfortunate for all involved. :(

Pictureman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The picture hunt will probably start too. Whoever has pictures might check out what should be done with them, like sell them for whatever price to the lawyers or make them be like "what pictures, I don't have any". A track out in CA. got sued for a race car going into a crowd of people and i remember they used a couple of my pictures in the case.

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That's horrible! Is there actually a basis for the instructor to sue the driver anyway?
Last I heard, Jeff (the injured instructor) had stated that "everything was taken care of" (which I interpreted to mean the medical bills), and I'm aware that a number of the local VCA regions have made donations to help with his recovery, since he has a pregnant wife and will be off work for the rest of the year. Are we certain that he's suing?

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The drivers insurance company will cover all his medical bills and lost wages!

BTW, I have many pictures. They are nothing special.... Just a wrecked viper.

That's horrible! Is there actually a basis for the instructor to sue the driver anyway?
Last I heard, Jeff (the injured instructor) had stated that "everything was taken care of" (which I interpreted to mean the medical bills), and I'm aware that a number of the local VCA regions have made donations to help with his recovery, since he has a pregnant wife and will be off work for the rest of the year. Are we certain that he's suing?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss