What mods what you guys do with about $4000.

Reaction score
Hi Tom,

I would love to promote your brake upgrade and do feel there is a need on the Gen I and Gen II Cars that go to track events. On the track brake system temperatures can cause loss of performance or failure which can be improved with system cooling and higher temperature fluid. But without threshold braking skill, street braking improvements may result to some degree but it is likely more a placebo factor for most drivers. I have the StopTech Big brake kit on my play car with improved cooling, my SRT10 stops and my 98GT2 both 100% stock stop just fine on the street. But thanks for the consideration.

The first and most important performance modification is for the drivers software because without that all the other performance upgrades are limited by the drivers ability. I have attended 12 Skip Barber schools from the Two Day to Car Control Clinics, three day Racing School, and VCA specific schools as well as a couple SCCA Viper autocross schools and private full day in car lessons from Skip Barber instructors during NASA and Green Flag open track events. You may get the idea that I am a slow learner, there is some truth in that but I like to have a refresher as much as possible and like to have instructors ride with me at Viper Days as well.

I stick with my original comment "may not", I did not say all will not!

We(Northern Calif. Region) try to provide at least one VCA School per year and I have attended most of them to keep my brain connection to my hands, eyes, and feet in tune with their limits as well as they apply to various vehicle platforms including the Viper. The three most difficult techniques to master are looking ahead(example: as you enter a turn your eyes keep your eyes on the turn exit 3-5 seconds ahead of the car), Braking, and unwinding the wheel to reduce understeer. Having observed many students gain a good grasp of threshold braking technique, resulting in a much shorter stopping distance. Threshold braking Combined looking ahead those Deer will go on to have more deer. I would love to take a like sample population and compare their braking performance driving school vs your brake kit. I know this is not a practical study to execute. But I will try to include a braking base line comparing before and after distance measurements at our next VCA Skip Barber driving school.

I have been promoting Skip Barber's Driving programs, starting in 1996, as a must for Viper owners to help them keep their cars and lives together. As most of us know, to many Vipers have been lost due a driver judgement errors or lack of performance driving experience.

Reaction score
Hi Tom,

I would love to promote your brake upgrade and do feel there is a need on the Gen I and Gen II Cars that go to track events. On the track brake system temperatures can cause loss of performance or failure which can be improved with system cooling and higher temperature fluid. But without threshold braking skill, street braking improvements may result to some degree but it is likely more a placebo factor for most drivers. I have the StopTech Big brake kit on my play car with improved cooling, my SRT10 stops and my 98GT2 both 100% stock stop just fine on the street. But thanks for the consideration.

The first and most important performance modification is for the drivers software because without that all the other performance upgrades are limited by the drivers ability. I have attended 12 Skip Barber schools from the Two Day to Car Control Clinics, three day Racing School, and VCA specific schools as well as a couple SCCA Viper autocross schools and private full day in car lessons from Skip Barber instructors during NASA and Green Flag open track events. You may get the idea that I am a slow learner, there is some truth in that but I like to have a refresher as much as possible and like to have instructors ride with me at Viper Days as well.

I stick with my original comment "may not", I did not say all will not!

We(Northern Calif. Region) try to provide at least one VCA School per year and I have attended most of them to keep my brain connection to my hands, eyes, and feet in tune with their limits as well as they apply to various vehicle platforms including the Viper. The three most difficult techniques to master are looking ahead(example: as you enter a turn your eyes keep your eyes on the turn exit 3-5 seconds ahead of the car), Braking, and unwinding the wheel to reduce understeer. Having observed many students gain a good grasp of threshold braking technique, resulting in a much shorter stopping distance. Threshold braking Combined looking ahead those Deer will go on to have more deer. I would love to take a like sample population and compare their braking performance driving school vs your brake kit. I know this is not a practical study to execute. But I will try to include a braking base line comparing before and after distance measurements at our next VCA Skip Barber driving school.

Steve, Autocrossing is a good sport in time you can improve braking and car control skill. You are also with a minority of owners who have improved their driving skill by first hand experience autocrossing or going to open track events.

I have been promoting Skip Barber's Driving programs, starting in 1996, as a must for Viper owners to help them keep their cars and lives together. As most of us know, to many Vipers have been lost due a driver judgement errors or lack of performance driving experience.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fred,

With all due respect for your knowledge and driving skills, I feel you are a little remiss in saying that Tom's braking modification in the Viper is a placebo for most drivers. Using that rational, any car which can be made to stop faster, with more control and less chance of lock up, is no more than a placebo. On the contrary, in real life situations, all Viper drivers can benefit from a braking system which is easier to use than stock and stops the car faster. I would guess most Viper owners don't drive their cars as much as they should nor have they taken any instruction. While certainly a good art to master, one does not need to be proficient in threshold braking to drive in everyday society....where most Vipers are driven. I have driven well over a million miles in my life on mostly 2 lane roads and have never had an accident. I wasn't aware of threshold braking until I got the Viper. Defensive driving and making the right decisions is probably much more responsible for that record than threshold braking ever would have been.

Having put over 44,000 miles on our Viper (through sun,cold, extreme rain,and snow),attended the Bragg-Smith 3 day school(325 track miles in a ZO6),25 plus autocrosses, and about 400 other track miles including 2 VOI's, I feel somewhat competent to offer my opinion--although I am the first to acknowledge that I have barely scratched the surface when it comes to driving expertise in a track situation.

Steve

Irid

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 40MM brake upgrade is well worth it. I've had it on my car for a few months and it changes it completely - especially if you drive in the rain (where the reduced friction effectively adds bias to the front).

For a bit over $600 it's cheap insurance. The car stops *much* better. If you're not a track geek it's still on my best bang for the buck list.

Go to driving school if you haven't too ;-)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21