What to use...15w30, 15w40 or 15w50

DSR207

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep getting different answers on the oil issue, what should I use...
15W50 with the supercharger on ?
Thanks

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as the S/C I dont know BUT I would get royal purple

Good luck

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There isn't an SAE 15W-30, an SAE 15W-40 is a common diesel mineral oil viscosity grade, and an SAE 15W-50 is typically a synthetic passenger car oil with US and European credentials.

Generating a little more shear stress in the engine oil than usual (due to your "extra" horsepower) you might want a high temperature viscosity greater than the factory oil 10W-30, so a xxW-40 would be reasonable.

You don't have to give up on the SAE 5W-xx performance if you don't want to and so you could use a synthetic 5W-40, which is also a Euro+US type formulation that will do well for you.

If you don't start it in exceptionally cold weather, or want to save a little in oil costs, the diesel 15W-40 is a good deal since diesel oils are formulated with even more additives and the antiwear, detergency, dispersancy, and shear stability characteristics are better.

viperama

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Castrol RS 10W60 Full Synth since many years in all my Cars and i'm very happy with it.

RS 10W60 showed a up to 5 times higher viscositi than other W30 or W40 semi or full Synthetic Oils at 300°F.
You mighrt not measure temperatures like these with a sensor in your oilpan, but your Pistonrings, Valves and Camshaft will be thankfull for a good Oil.

I noticed some harder starting below 40°F ambient temperature, but it never became a real Problem in winter.

One of my friend is using the same Oil in his Cars (68' Barracuda 417 sb stroker, 70' Z28, Intermeccanica with 394cui Chevy Stroker) and never had any Problems with it or high Oil consumption.

Since 3 years i also use for my Customers Mitsubishi Evos, they all noticed a serious drop in Oil consumption.

Tom F&L GoR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, the "60" means it is supposed to be thicker than a "40" or a "50" whether it's a synthetic or not. At that viscosity, you're probably giving up 15 horsepower and arguably in a situation where if the engine isn't designed for it, it may not be that good. 2000 alcohol funny cars can use an SAE 60 just fine, and they do it because of the huge amount of fuel dilution that thins the oil before the green light (so the SAE 60 they put it becomes something a lot less for the race.) We made SAE 60 and SAE 70 for a top fuel car; it's a game of how thick to make the oil and how thin the fuel dilutes it down to.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Ditto to RedGTS. I also use 15W50 Mobil 1.

viperama

Enthusiast
Reaction score
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In Antwort auf:</font><hr />
Well, the "60" means it is supposed to be thicker than a "40" or a "50" whether it's a synthetic or not. At that viscosity, you're probably giving up 15 horsepower and arguably in a situation where if the engine isn't designed for it, it may not be that good. 2000 alcohol funny cars can use an SAE 60 just fine, and they do it because of the huge amount of fuel dilution that thins the oil before the green light (so the SAE 60 they put it becomes something a lot less for the race.) We made SAE 60 and SAE 70 for a top fuel car; it's a game of how thick to make the oil and how thin the fuel dilutes it down to.

[/QUOTE]

I think its better to loose a few horsepower than a conrod bearing.

Many of my friends an customers frequently drive on circuits like Nürburgring, Monza, Hockenheim and Annneau du Rhin... funny cars are a different world and 10W60 is approved in our application.

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The newly relabeled (in that it is their deisel oil, now readily available to the public as regular mobile 1) Mobile 1 5W-40 IS a PERFECT solution.

I only use the 15w-50 when I know a track weekend is coming up.

Jon

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth