Whats best for polished alluminum???

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The lips on my rims are polished alluminum from i-forged.I called them and asked what was the best to use to clean them and they said mothers.I bought some and it does nothing.:mad:Ive heard that a couple other things work.Wicked,sheene genie,adams metal polish are all suposed to be good.What do you guys use? Thanks.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you rub Mothers polish on your wheel lips, the rag should turn black. If it doesn't, either you're not rubbing enough or the wheels are clearcoated. Mothers works great.

OP
OP

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you rub Mothers polish on your wheel lips, the rag should turn black. If it doesn't, either you're not rubbing enough or the wheels are clearcoated. Mothers works great.

Trust me i rubbed hard enough and i got plenty of black stuff off it just seems like im not digging deep enough to get everything off.You dont have this problem?:confused:

Reaction score
Meguires cleaner wax works well at dissolving road grime and then leaving behind a layer of protection each time. It will not work for taking fine scratches out though, you will need a "polish" for that. If you are using Mothers or another polish what may be left behind is the compound in the small pits of the rim. Use the Meguires after to remove all the left over black and protect the finish.

chimazo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Trust me i rubbed hard enough and i got plenty of black stuff off it just seems like im not digging deep enough to get everything off.You dont have this problem?:confused:

Do you have pics of the problem area(s)? What are you trying to remove? I just polish the hoops twice a year, and the rest of the time I use detail spray for the entire wheel. Changing to Hawk pads helps a tremendous amount in reducing brake dust, btw.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't even imagine how oxidized your wheels must be. Mother's will make just about anything shine unless it's really been neglected for a LONG time. That is a problem with polished, non coated wheels. Mothers Billet is the best. As stated above, if there are pits in the rim where the black collects, you can use lighter fluid on a rag to remove it. Make sure your careful and don't get any fluid on the rest of the wheel (painted or coated areas) or tire. The Semi trucks with Alcoa wheels get lots of pits from thousands of miles of use. The wheel guys use this trick when polishing out the rims.

Last edited:
OP
OP

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As you can see below its the little white spots that wont come off.I wash my car like every week and there are new ones every time. So its not that i dont keep them clean.I polish them every time too with mothers.What about a cleaner before the polish.Will this help?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

twinturbo3150

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you wash it once a week, try blowing out the lugnut holes and the fastner bolts with a leaf blower or air compressor. That will stop most of the water spots forming on the wheel.

I use Never Dull, works great for me

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dude, it is NOT your polish its your technique....

i agree,

Mothers aint Jack by itsself, you need the Mothers POWERBALL-mini. Buy it with the mothers aluminum polish that is made for it from your local autoparts store. I prefer mothers foam balls because they absorb more polish without getting clogged like the wool/cotton ones.

by hand the surface only gets a few passes(not enough to take out scratches, by machine it gets hundreds in the same amount of time.

XLR8SN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used the Mothers Billet and I also use Wenol. The Wenol seems to be a little stronger in cutting through the water spots....but I think that I would agree with everyone in that you would need to use the mini power ball or something like that to get the desired effect that you are looking for.

OP
OP

1fastviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have used the Mothers Billet and I also use Wenol. The Wenol seems to be a little stronger in cutting through the water spots....but I think that I would agree with everyone in that you would need to use the mini power ball or something like that to get the desired effect that you are looking for.

Ok, I will try this and see how it works.I just thought there might have been some other kind of polish out there that worked better with less work.:smirk:

jamie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, I will try this and see how it works.I just thought there might have been some other kind of polish out there that worked better with less work.:smirk:

If you want uncoated wheels to look perfect all the time, it is a LOT of work! Polish them up and put some Poorboys wheel sealant on them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth