What's safe for clearcoated wheels?

johnk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to remove my 06 factory 5-spoke wheels and remove the 6k mile build up of dirt, brake dust and grime on the back. What will cut through it but not harm the clear coat finish on the wheels?

Thanks

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use Simple Green and a non-abrasive cleaning sponge. Just make sure you rinse them well. Also, if you are a little worried about harming the clear coat, you can apply automotive wax to the face of the wheel before cleaning the backs. That will protect them too.

SuperSaiks

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the initial wash use a dish soap like Dawn to cut through the dirt and grime.
Then clay bar the wheels to remove brake dust and other particals from the wheels
Then wash the wheels with car soap
Then apply your scratch and swirl remover, followed by a wax and detailer, treat it exactly like your paint because it has a clear coat on it.

IE: ZAINO :)

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would try a mild Scratch and Swirl remover or paint cleanser like Zaino Z-AIO. This will also help keep them clean in the future. All you wil need is soap (Z7) and water and the brake dust will clean right up.

Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try P21S wheel gel. Its safe on every wheel, but its a strong cleaner. If that doesnt work, then you can try Poorboys Spray and Rinse. Its an extremely strong acid based cleaner and should be used with care.

Or, after the P21S, you can try clay bar and Klasse AIO. Klasse AIO is a chemical cleaner that doesnt contain abrasives. Fine for clear coated rims.

After you get them cleaned up. Protect with a quality paint sealant, or a specific wheel sealant. Continue regular washing with car soap and water, reapply every 3 weeks.

DO NOT use any kind of swirl remover with abrasives in it or wax on rims. Wax will melt right off due to heat.