What's the latest on SRT production? Are they building again?

jwwiii

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What\'s the latest on SRT production? Are they building again?

Hello;

I know from posts here that the assembly was put on hold awaiting the CARB 50 state regulations thing and that CAAP was addressing the "heat" issues stirred up by the mags.

So, is the plant working on any part of the SRT, or did the workers get re-assigned to other cars during this period?

Any update would be great; a "status report" from someone at CAAP would be very helpful. I am not complaining at all, as I want our snakes to be perfect just like you do. The lack of information is the frustrating thing, as I am very anxious to have something to follow during the looong wait!

I think it is better to get an honest (whether good news or not) answer direct from the source than to speculate over theories or rumours. Do you agree?

What's happening now?

Jim

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What\'s the latest on SRT production? Are they building again?

Hey Cornsnake heres something to get you thru these cold months, a small movie of a Silver (your car ?
smile.gif
) being instructor driven at VOI. Thanks to Marcus and our VCA friends in Germany.
smile.gif
http://www.allaboutmycar.com/viper/markus/videos/P9291383.MOV

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jim,

I dunno about the issues you mentioned, but I just got an email from John Fernandez and he told me that he's sick of your complaining and you're at the BACK of the list to get an SRT now!!!

Just kidding!
supergrin.gif

No, I don't know what they are doing. I would imagine they are continuing to build the cars but maybe only to the point where the part causing the heat problem is about to be installed - that way when new parts come in they can just pick up where they left off.

Just a guess though. They also build other vehicles there so maybe they are concentrating on those other vehicles.

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mike - What other vehicles do they build at CAAP now? The Prowler was the other line inside CAAP which is now over. What did they replace that line with?

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score

In the secret recesses of CAAP, they mount frickin' laser beams on sharks ;-)

MiamiJeff

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jerry, not sure but thought CAAP was also assembling those Viper truck engines???

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

SRT motor is now produced in CAAP for the first time.

After the Prowler was dropped no other product has been picked up there as of now!

VOI9 ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I've been to CAAP. I saw no engines except those on shipping racks or in cars. They do not assemble engines at CAAP.

SORP is slated to begin 28Oct02. DCX required one more week from the original start date of 21Oct02. Start up is at 4 cars per day on 28Oct02 and will ramp aggressively.

SC-

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understood they ARE building the new Viper engines at CAAP. I'm guessing they haven't started building them there yet?

What is SORP?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jerry,

Sorry, I mis-spoke. I meant that they were building Viper engines there and I was also referring to the SRT (which they don't make yet, but I am sure thats where the prototypes and development cars are being made).

I could be totally wrong, but I just figure they have other stuff to do there with the Viper engines and SRT Ram development to keep people busy and even building Vipers as far as they can so I would tend to doubt the guys are just sitting around drinking coffee waiting for the engineers to get back to them - but I could be wrong!
supergrin.gif

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score

They have been building the new engines at CAAP ever since Mound Road closed. When you walk through the doors that enter the plant (by the gift shop) and turn to your left, the engine assembly section is straight ahead on the right. I was at CAAP last year at this time and they had the section up and they were testing some tooling.

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well I've seen the motor line with my own eyes so that I will vouch for.

Production will start (ie, line advancing), next week on the 28th, so that's a good sign, your cars will be shipping soon!

Looking forward to some dyno numbers on the SRT, I hope it pulls well past 450 at the tires.

Bwright

Enthusiast
Reaction score

jwwii,

DC claims they are on track for a 4Q release. Several vehicles have been built and are in "containment" for standard quality evaluation. Expect the first cars to be delivered to customers in about 4-6 weeks. The aim is for delivery of cars which are as near to perfect as possible.

The recent C&D test was of a preproduction car and DC was not pleased that C&D did not mention this. A letter has gone out to C&D and with any luck they may publish it in their next issue.

I will advise if I hear anything else or if the situation changes.

vipernate

Enthusiast
Reaction score

4-6 weeks for residents outside of CA, CA residents, expect to get your SRT/10 sometime in Jan, due to the EPA laws here.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang