what's up with the price of wheels?

datruodb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand the huge price we pay for Viper wheels. I was able to get a great set of wheels for my Porsche, and had a huge selection for a fraction of the cost of most aftermarket brands.

MoparMap

VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The 6 bolt pattern probably has a lot to do with it if I had to guess. Really about the only other vehicles that use it are trucks (the Viper hubs were taken off a truck to begin with). The pattern has since stayed as part of the Viper character. You could also argue for a strength advantage, but plenty of people put down huge power on 5 and even 4 bolt patterns, so that's not really an issue. Add to that the rather wide rim sizes are any company that makes a wheel to fit a Viper is pretty much making it for only one car ever, unless I feel like putting 13" wide rims on my brother's Dakota, lol.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't understand the huge price we pay for Viper wheels.

6 lug, 13 inches wide

12" is more of a standard for Big wheels, I dont think many mess with making the 13" barrels since only a few cars run em. Also, if they do there is a higher tooling cost/overhead since much less quantity of wheels are produced.

I was able to get a great set of wheels for my Porsche, and had a huge selection for a fraction of the cost of most aftermarket brands.

Im i reading this correctly? It sounds like you purchased OEM wheels for your porsche? and think that they have a larger"huge" selection over the aftermarket?
Dosn't make sense to me.. I'd think that OEM wheels would be pretty expensive and would have Less options than the aftermarket.

OP
OP
D

datruodb

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im i reading this correctly? It sounds like you purchased OEM wheels for your porsche? and think that they have a larger"huge" selection over the aftermarket?
Dosn't make sense to me.. I'd think that OEM wheels would be pretty expensive and would have Less options than the aftermarket.

The Porsche wheels were aftermarket as well, but carried the crest. I was meaning to say the aftermarket availability for Porsche was greater than the aftermarket for the Viper. The cost was significantly less as well.

This was regarding wheels only. When we start talking performance upgrades, hands down the Viper wins with availability and cost.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Porsche wheels were aftermarket as well, but carried the crest. I was meaning to say the aftermarket availability for Porsche was greater than the aftermarket for the Viper. The cost was significantly less as well.

This was regarding wheels only. When we start talking performance upgrades, hands down the Viper wins with availability and cost.

Any brand worth buying wheels from will make them for the Viper.

TrackAire

Enthusiast
Reaction score

A lot of the aftermarket wheels I've seen for the Porsche, Mercedes, etc that have the crest like "AMG" are very inexpensive units made in China. I'm not saying all wheels made in China are bad, but you have to be careful if you're planning on putting major horsepower and wide sticky tires on them.

Maybe Nine Ball can give us some insight to this. I've seen 19" x 9.5" wide AMG for a an ML Mercedes for around $770.00 new for all 4 wheels. I just don't know how good these wheels are :dunno:

Cheers,
George