Wheel Center Caps, How to Polish

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1998 Gen II with factory wheels. The wheels themselves are in pretty nice shape, however, the center caps - especially around and in the logo - are dull.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Is there any detailing or polishing tricks that can be used to make them look better.:dunno: Finding OEM replacements (NOS) is rather difficult and then, if you find any, very expensive.

Thanks!:2tu:

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My guess is they are plastic with chrome or chrome paint. Be careful, but try some fine metal polish on an inconspicuous place, preferably the back. If it works, hit it with the same polish and a Mother's ball. That looks like a job you can cause more damage than good. Once again, be careful!

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They are an aluminum casting that is polished and clear cloated. First, try a polish that is clear coat safe to try to bring the shine back. Brake dust is an abrasive powder that scratches the surface. You might be able to bring it back with some buffing!

thompsonracing

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Aluminum is much better than plastic! Like it was said above, try some clearcoat-safe polish. Def clean them very well first. You might want to try to clay the first to remove the heavy contaminants.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Year Matters... some G2 caps are plastic, the majortity are cast alum as Rat stated above, adn as shown in yur fotos.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, appreciate the comments.

If you look at the closeup of the cap, it is really the logo area, especially the edges (Sneaky Pete) and surrounding edge. If I had to guess, that wear looks like plastic.

If they are chrome plated, does that mean I can give them to a (reputable) plating shop and it can be redone? When I've come across replacements (OEM), they can be $100 or more each...that's $400 for a set plus shipping!

Anyway, additional thoughts?

Peter

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your pictures are too small for me to see the wear that you are talking about. Your caps don't appear to be plated I can see the scratches in the clear coat. The cc's are polished and then the center logo is painted and finally everything is clearcoated. You can try to polish/buff out the clear coat, repaint the shield logo and call it good or do a complete refinish where everything is stripped and redone.

If you pay someone for complete refinishing, it might be cheaper in the long run just to buy another set.

OP
OP
V

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The painting you are referring to is the gray inside the logo area? From the way it looks, is everything polished and then inside is painted?

Thanks!6