Wheel decision

First Strike

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I will be purchasing a set of HRE 541-R wheels (10 spoke) 19-fronts 20- rears. I would like to hear some opnions as to should I go polished or chrome, have concern of car possibly looking to BLING with chrome. Also what dish depth would look best on snake to include front & rear. Thanks.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Id go with polished, only for the reason that its easliy repaired if you scratch or gouge a rim. Chrome has to be stripped and re-plated which can take a month or two.
With a polished lip, a repair can be done in your garage or worse case a wheel shop can repair in 2-3 days. I also would not clear coat, that way its easliy repairable and you can take a little polish to it to shine up every few months.

F4PHANTOM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Id go with polished, only for the reason that its easliy repaired if you scratch or gouge a rim. Chrome has to be stripped and re-plated which can take a month or two.
With a polished lip, a repair can be done in your garage or worse case a wheel shop can repair in 2-3 days. I also would not clear coat, that way its easliy repairable and you can take a little polish to it to shine up every few months.

Exactly what he said.:2tu:

You must be registered for see images attach

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just an FYI but if you plan to track the car HRE wheels got banned and are NOT allowed at Viper Days events. The only acception I know of is there competition series. HRE makes some beautiful wheels though.

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First Stike, I would go with the chrome wheels. First and foremost reason is due to maintanance of the wheels. Chrome is much easier to clean than having to polish a set of wheels, which can be a long day of cleaning. Secondly, chrome wheels show a little nicer than polished wheels at car shows. Also, don't worry about the bling factor because a lot of wheel companies make nice suttle looking wheels that are not real "blingy"(i.e. Iforge,CCW,HRE, Forgeline and many others). Gen 3 stock wheels also look awesome chrome plated......Good Luck with your decision.

B767DRIVER

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just an FYI but if you plan to track the car HRE wheels got banned and are NOT allowed at Viper Days events. The only acception I know of is there competition series. HRE makes some beautiful wheels though.

We were told the same thing at the TWS Viper Days. They have had issues with the wheels breaking. I will agree they are beautiful.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had HRE 546Rs (19/20s) on my last Viper and they were polished/unclear coated. No problems keeping them clean and in my opinion they looked a lot better than chrome. Besides, HRE "highly ploished" wheels are real shiny. And as others have said, they are easy to fix if need be.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I never saw a chrome plated Gen3 stock wheel!!!:rolleyes:

-------

I missed that he said that...... Maybe he has a special edition.:lmao:

All jokes aside, SRT10 Swiss is right, GEN 3 wheels ARE NOT chromed from the factory. They are polished and clear coated.

Last edited:

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think unreelviper was refering to stock GEN 3 wheels that have been chrome plated by California Chrome or somewhere similar. Not chrome from the factory.

wallbanger

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is actually hard to judge unless u see the rim in chrome and polished. i much prefer my h rims in chrome but i like my srt8 rims polished

Last edited:

pattymelt3605

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think unreelviper was refering to stock GEN 3 wheels that have been chrome plated by California Chrome or somewhere similar. Not chrome from the factory.

Here is a pic of some gen 3 wheels chromed by Cal Chrome.

You must be registered for see images

I have chrome 19" HRE wheels on my GTS and I used to have poilished wheels. I would go with the chrome hands down. It is so much easier to keep clean and you dont have to spend hours of polishing.

You must be registered for see images

Is that to much bling? :bling:

ILLSMOQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
chrome has a nicer bling but the fact remains that is does get nicked/chiped and if you have a mishap, you need to re-chrome. Where polished has almost the same bling when it's freshly polished and curb rash is easily repaired, but it does require constant up keep.

I love the look of chrome but will never do it again....polished all the way unless you don't drive the car much.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Agree with ILLSMOQ,

I have both types of finishes, 1 set of chromed and 3 sets of polished. Polished and not clear coated are very easy to make minor repairs too.

Chromed or any clear coated wheel will require more time and $$$$ to repair.

Dan

Finally got it !

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I third the motion. Exactly what this tough guy said...

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Chrome is just too Blingy on the Viper in my opinion. And Im a "Bling" kinda guy normally ( I guess also a "Tough" guy according to Finally Got It:rolleyes: )

Anyways if you look through the gallery some of the best pics are dark centers with polished lips. It just makes the Viper look like a mean machine, a race car. And thats basically what it is.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Polished. While there is some upkeep, they look great. I agree with MikeR. Chrome maybe a bit too bling...

Mine.

DSC06665.JPG