Wheel Lug Stretched?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Just wondering, is there any way to tell if a wheel lug has been stretched? I didnt think anything of it when the place that balanced my tires torqued them to 120 ft-lbs, but I just saw on a thread that 90-100 is correct, and "stretching" was mentioned. None of them appear damaged or snapped. Anything to worry about after corrected? anything to look for?

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm curious too. I use my air gun on the 2nd setting and I take my wheel off a lot...so do I have anything to worry anbout too?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I torq to 95. I wouldn't use an air gun to torq but removing would be ok.

120 is pretty high. They might be a biitch to break loose. I'd loosen them and retorq them to 95 using a torq wrench. Then I'd check it after every few drives until I was comfortable with them.

Andrew2KRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe a stupid reply, but does everyone realize how bad the lug nuts are? The stock lug nuts are actually nuts with sleeves over them. I had two lug nuts get jammed on my car before I knew this. I then removed all the lug nuts and replaced them with solid lug nuts that I got from Archer. I used to remove the old lugs with a gun and then put them back on by hand with a torque wrench, and still the sleeves bent out of shape and gave me false readings. Once I replaced the nuts, no more problems although I still remove with the gun and reinstall by hand..

I never had a lug stretch., or twist except on older cars and then the lug would just snap.

Andrew

Matt M PA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Adnrew is right..the factory lugs nuts (on newer Vipers) are junk. My Bronco's were the same way, were they are a regular nut with a cap that breaks off. Problem is...the nut underneath is a different size and the wrench in your trunk does not fit. I now put McGard nuts on every car I have. They are guaranteed forever not to rust or chip. You can;t go wrong...but get those junk factory ones off BEFORE you have a problem. Oh yeah...and about torque for the nuts. My service manual says 90 ft. pounds.

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Yes, we are talking about 18's.

I have also noticed my lug nuts are out of shape-starting to twist .
However, I have never had any problem getting them off. Hmm.... I wonder if maybe the (stock) lug-nuts are designed to prevent snapped lugs by breaking themselves first...? I mean, after all, it is cheaper to deal with fixing a bad lug than a lawsuit for having a wheel fly off...

Viper Wizard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Final GTS:
Anything to worry about after corrected? anything to look for?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One of your wheels going by you!
eek.gif

95 FT Lbs!!
By hand only!! NO AIR TOOLS, ON OR OFF!!

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Viper Wizard on 09-16-2002 at 04:37 PM</font>

Tomer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chuck, not that I would question your Wizard-ness, but why no air tools in coming OFF? If you are referring to the 18 inch wheels, then I can see it. These lugs sound just like the ones that came on my 99 Durango...They have a pretty sleeve over the actual lug nut, so air guns "impact" tend to loosen the sleeve/cap over the nut, resulting at least in losing the pretty sleeve/cap, also possibly in inaccurate torque settings.

On my 96 RT, with "regular" lug nuts, am I OK removing the lug nuts with air gun, and manual back on? Thats what I do.

Tomer

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tomer:

On my 96 RT, with "regular" lug nuts, am I OK removing the lug nuts with air gun, and manual back on?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure, that's what I said.

"I wouldn't use an air gun to torq but removing would be ok. "

Maybe I didn't phrase it very well.

Eddie N

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chuck 98 RT/10:
Sure, that's what I said.

"I wouldn't use an air gun to torq but removing would be ok. "

Maybe I didn't phrase it very well.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i think he was talking to the other chuck (tator), chuck..
smile.gif

chuck (tator),

please elaborate on why it is bad to remove the stock viper lugs with an air impact gun..

thanks,

- eddie -

OP
OP
Viper Specialty

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Viper Wizard- Any way to tell if these lugs are toast? I pulled all my wheels off today and checked all lugs, lug nuts, and wheels for cracks, all are fine. I also checked lug threads ALL the way down, and none of them bind at the bottom, so they arent stretched in the thread area. any suggestions? with the VOI trip comming up, I want to be safe.