when to touch up paint chips

danviper1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So,
Very soon I will be washing my new viper for the first time. Thanks for all the advice on this. Believe I am ready to go. Now, I have noticed that there are the inevitable few pain chips behind the front wheels. Annoying. From what I have read on here, someone suggested you clean them, sand if can and then use the touch up paint via toothpick and capillary action until built up just above level of surrounding paint. Then sand this lightly? Someone please help me if I am in error. AWESOME but when to do this???
In other words, do I do this after washing/claying/waxing etc??? If you clay over these areas, will you remove the touched up areas?? Is there a way to seal this touch up paint or do you need to???
thanks.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are two products that you need to look at. One is by a company called Langka and the other is by Dr. Colorchip. Go to their websites and read how both of the products work. Langka takes longer to complete a deep chip but both products work if you follow the instructions to the letter.

You will use either of these products on a clean and wax free car ONLY. You can safely clay the paint after the paint has completely dried if necessary but claying should be done BEFORE using either of these products.

OP
OP
D

danviper1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Junkman,
The Dr Colorchip seems like a simpler system. Almost seems to simple, have you ever used this on your corvette or has anyone ever used this on their viper???

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used the Dr color chip just recently and it does work I am trying to figure out how to get the gloss right as just straight touch up paint is significantly duller than the factory paint. My car is black and so the duller touchup shows up in the sun. Iwould definitely recommend.

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Used the Dr color chip just recently and it does work I am trying to figure out how to get the gloss right as just straight touch up paint is significantly duller than the factory paint. My car is black and so the duller touchup shows up in the sun. Iwould definitely recommend.

You could use a drop of clear coat on the chip after the paint but I haven't experienced the dullness issue that you speak of. To Dan, I would agree that Dr. Colorchip is simpler. It's faster too, but both do work.