Where can I buy an inexpensive Snell SA '00 rated helmet?

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Re: Where can I buy an inexpensive Snell SA \'00 rated helmet?

www.helmetcity.com

Bell Sport II - $299 available in White or Black

PLUS, they offer a 10% discount to VCA members.

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Socal Rebell,

I bought my last helmet at a motor cycle shop of Victory blvd. Nice helmet they always have something on clearence and all of it is to current spec. I believe that it was $119.00 down from $240.00 regular price.

If you are interested let me know I will get the name of the shop, and its local to you.

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

Russ M,

Cycle helmets are M rated, specific to the requirements of Motorcycles.

Auto Racing has specific requirements that are built into the SA rated helmets, including fire resistant fabrics, and other essential elements.

If you're planning on racing as a hobby, go for the SA helmet and be confident that you've done all you can to keep your cranium in one piece!

There is one other brand that is a bit less expensive, G-Force, also SA rated and around $239. but I'm not sure of the quality.

Here's a link to a site that sells them:
http://www.randys-racemart.com/gforsa95hel.html

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for all the help, I will check out all the sites. Russ M I appreciate your input since you are local to me but Paul Hawker & Joe Houss are right, I need an SA rating, I have a Snell M95 now but was almost turned away at the track this weekend because it was an M and not an SA rated helmet.

Paul Hawker, you're right turn 8 is a white knuckler at 120+ mph, I got my practice in and am ready for Viperdays at the end of Jan.

Frank Parise

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score

Ron, I think you should reconsider your approach on helmets. Get the highest quality helmet you can afford. This is not a good area to be budget-oriented. As the saying goes, "If you have a $100 head, get a $100 helmet." A decent helmet will cost around $800 or more. Make sure it's a full-face helmet. Since it will last at least 5 years (assuming you don't crack it along with your skull), that comes out to an annual insurance cost on your head and brain of approximately $160. The label on the inside should say SA2000, and it should have a date tag less than 1 year old, the newer the better.

SoCal Craig

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JMcGuire:
http://www.racerwholesale.com

Slightly cheaper than Helmet City, although maybe not after the VCA discount (I didn't know about the discount when I bought ours).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

VCA discount? I just bought a helmet from Helmet City last week and didn't know about the discount
frown.gif
. Guess I should have asked.

BTW the buying experience with Helmet City worked out great. I measured my head as instructed and ordered a Bieffe. It arrived earlier than I expected and fit fine. You can return/exchange it if it doesn't fit. I only did this because I couldn't find a helmet shop near me (except for motorcycle shops).

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Be careful when buying at cycle shops, as most track events require nomex interior, not used on cycle helmets, because few people are traped inside a burning cycle. Those usually have a Snell rating of 95M or 2000M.

While these are a little cheaper they will not provide the same level of safety against fire.

IMHO the extra money spent on a good helmet will make you faster, as your confidence level goes up a notch when you ******** a high quality helmet.

Enjoy the track. Turn 8 at willow is a hoot.

OP
OP
S

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well you guys were right, Helmet City seemed the place to go and got my 10% discount.

Frank Parise you make a lot of sense, thanks for posting you changed my mind and I took your advise, instead of a cheap open face helmet I was gonna get I got a fairly expensive closed face Simpson helmet.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callaghen