Where on Earth to get a letter confirming 285 production run in 1992?

Canuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Viper People!

Greetings from British Columbia, Canada!
A 1992 Viper has finally come true (waited 19 very patient years for that to finally happen).

The local car licensing authority (equivalent to the DMV in the US) gives a special 'Collector License Plate' for cars that are over 15 years old, that have a production model year run of under 1500 worldwide. The Collector License Plate makes insurance drop dramatically (down to $150/year or so for public liability).

Part of the Collector Plate process requires a letter from the car manufacturer on its letterhead confirming that the 1992 worldwide production run was 285. (A common known fact among Viper fans, but seems tough to get written down).
So far, I have tried:
-The local Dodge dealer, said to call Chrysler Customer Support.
-Called Chrysler Customer Support in Canada, said they only deal with recalls and so on. Suggested going to the Dealer (see above).
-Called Chrysler USA, said they don't provide it as a company, said to contact an export broker (even though he acknowledges it isn't anything to with export), or the original dealer in Virginia from 19 years ago?!
-Emailed the W.P. Chrysler's Museum archive department...awaiting reply.

Any suggestions on where to get a production number letter?
The car is just waiting in a garage to be plated and driven, and it's so sunny out!

V

Venomiss

Hi Viper People!

Greetings from British Columbia, Canada!
A 1992 Viper has finally come true (waited 19 very patient years for that to finally happen).

The local car licensing authority (equivalent to the DMV in the US) gives a special 'Collector License Plate' for cars that are over 15 years old, that have a production model year run of under 1500 worldwide. The Collector License Plate makes insurance drop dramatically (down to $150/year or so for public liability).

Part of the Collector Plate process requires a letter from the car manufacturer on its letterhead confirming that the 1992 worldwide production run was 285. (A common known fact among Viper fans, but seems tough to get written down).
So far, I have tried:
-The local Dodge dealer, said to call Chrysler Customer Support.
-Called Chrysler Customer Support in Canada, said they only deal with recalls and so on. Suggested going to the Dealer (see above).
-Called Chrysler USA, said they don't provide it as a company, said to contact an export broker (even though he acknowledges it isn't anything to with export), or the original dealer in Virginia from 19 years ago?!
-Emailed the W.P. Chrysler's Museum archive department...awaiting reply.

Any suggestions on where to get a production number letter?
The car is just waiting in a garage to be plated and driven, and it's so sunny out!

Call Woodhouse here in the USA and ask them for help. Betting they can provide something for your situation.
Leaving you a PM with contact information on it.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Congrats and welcome to the Viper Nation!

Does a published book work?

Can always look up The Vipers Buyers Guide by Maurice Liang.

Best of luck and congrats on the car!

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
MoPar Boy had the same idea I did, as this is a great book and should be able to be used for definitive answers they require.

If that does not work , give me a call or send me an email and I have one other idea?

Bill Pemberton
1-800-889-1893
cell 402-677-5864

Roffey

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It seems there's a list on the forum somewhere that lists the number/type/color for each production year.
After seeing it, looked like something that was originated by Dodge.....I'll try searching for it.....

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
........Part of the Collector Plate process requires a letter from the car manufacturer on its letterhead confirming that the 1992 worldwide production run was 285. (A common known fact among Viper fans, but seems tough to get written down)...!

Taken literally, a letter from a dealer, a club, or a book-publisher might NOT suffice? Bureaucrats Dictate.

If printing out the IVR page works for you, it would still be nice to have the Viper Buyers Guide as an additional part of the "Docs" of the rarity and value of your Viper. The EXPORT BUILDS for '92 were even more rare within that 285 total. Is it a Canada car? Only 14 built!

Congrats on scoring a true legendary Viper...should be worth $300K some day............

OP
OP
C

Canuck

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Jon,

Have never seen a 1992 Canadian Export viper, since as you say only 14 or so. This one I brought over the border myself.

Pricewise, I agree there is a good future ahead for these vehicles since they are such a part of nostalgia and fine design. But pricewuse less important for me since I would never sell! Too much fun!