Which AEM wideband to get - Single or dual channel?

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm going to be replacing my boost gauge setup with a wideband setup since the boost gauge is almost useless :)
Will the single UEGO be sufficient to monitor AF's with my Roe blower? Do i technically need the Dual controller with one in each collector? (i know its more accurate but i want something more for monitoring rather than tuning)

Does the dual controller average the AF readings from both sides and display that on the AEM gauge?

Thanks!

Mike

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess more info is better, but I am quite happy with my NGK Powerdex unit. The single sensor is on the driver's side. 9,000 miles last summer with no issues and tuned to 11.5 for 3 different temperature ranges.

Steve

OP
OP
M

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I guess more info is better, but I am quite happy with my NGK Powerdex unit. The single sensor is on the driver's side. 9,000 miles last summer with no issues and tuned to 11.5 for 3 different temperature ranges.

Steve

the NGK is nice but i wanted one with a round gauge so i can mount it in my steering wheel mount i have now :)

Russ M

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have an AEM unit? They come with the dual wide band built in.

If not you need the dual, no point in not knowing what the other side of your engine is doing.

JohnnyBravo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you look at the Innovate stand alone kit with the LC-1 and the XD-16 gauge?

It's a super sharp setup and Innovate is well known for the quality of their wideband products.

D

DAMN YANKEE

Mccarlin,

If you think the Boost gauge is a bore, just wait to you see the wideband in action....But seriously, you are running a VEC2 right? So, unless I'm missing something, I think you actually are asking "I want to run widebands now so that my VEC2 can get the Wideband input and I can graph them out along with my other data streams during my "pulls" to be sure my A/F is near perfection. How many widebands do I actually need to properly tune my VEC and what kind of widebands should I consider?" Right?

If so, then I would be heading off in another direction. I would be considering the least expensive (but still robust and accurate) widebands that I could get my hands on. Ones that would do the required heating cycles, decipher the voltage readings, etc, etc but NOT duplicate all the my current VEC capabilities....PLUS you can still boot up your laptop, and if you wanted, run INNOVATE LogWorks just like The Fast and the Furious. Your VEC will also have it ALL as well.

That is why Steve suggested NGK units (good choice) and I (like JohnnyBravo)would send you to look at INNOVATE LC-1 (good choice). Either way you will get the data to your VEC and your gauge and not duplicate any functonality.

So whats left? Two things..

1. The question of how many. Those that know they want the best data and are willing to pay for it will run two sensors. They are, of course, going to have the BEST data streams! But, having said that, there is no doubt that a single bank can tune your car as well. Add a second bunge to the second bank (can be ordered seperately with a cap to seal it off) and you can wire ONE wideband to be able to be moved to either bank (infrequently, I would think) just in case you want a reading from one side or another. I talked about that here (sign in to read it)

http://www4.forum.viperclub.org/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=788236&an=0&page=0#Post788236

The cheap street racer (as in me) that still wants it all, would say...

You need one wideband, an additonal **** with cap, keep more of the wire on the sender so you can move it side to side.

2. The gauge. Round Widebands in all sizes are available all over the place, I like the to keep my steering wheel pod filled with a D-PIC and use a tiny square wideband reader from Dyno Tune Solutions. Yep , round ones too. Remember the wideband gauges is a real B-O-R-E to watch once you get your rig tuned. One important point is that the INNOVATE gauge has a log button built in for the INNOVATE software (nice feature) and it CAN cycle (under their newest release) between 2 widebands! Nice, but you cant start your VEC log with it so, not really important to me.

The Dyno Tune link...

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store/scripts/prodlist.asp?idcategory=44

Hope that helps, let me know if I am WAY off the mark here..it would fit in with the rest of my day!

(I was first made aware of these Gauges by GRCforce!)

OP
OP
M

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I dont see the wideband gauge as a BORE because when the car is properly tuned yes it doesnt change much, but my main concern is when/if something fails i can see it on the wideband.

It only takes a line to come lose, an injector to fail, or anything else imaginable that can turn a motor to pieces in boost. That's why i want to monitor the AF's at all times to make sure things dont change. :) Without a wideband you really have no idea what's going on in the motor under boost.

I'm surprised many arent going with the AEM UEGO unit. Its about $300.00 for the unit, gauge, sensor and everything needed. That and it uses the bosch sensor which is only $40 to replace compared to the honda type sensors that some of the units use (FJO) which cost $200+ for a sensor.

I'll look at the Innovative too. :)

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mccarlin:

A couple of points:

1. On a fast car you CAN'T make sense of an a/f gauge, you have to log.

2. The Innovate products are designed up a bit different than the other wb setups. They have an extremely fast sampling rate and the sensor has an extremely fast time constant, in other words many of the other wb's have a built in averaging error, not so with the Innovate product.

Listen to Johnny Bravo, the Innovate package (LM3 and LM1)with the XD gauge is both attractive and an extremely powerful tool, but, you also have to log and that is the strength of the aforementioned system. The gauge is eye candy and is used to turn on the logger.

OP
OP
M

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didnt realize that the innovated LC-1 and gauge package was only $399. Since its only a little more than the AEM and its proven amongst you guys i think i will go with that unit.
The white faced gauges is a nice option too :)

Thanks everyone! LC-1 gauge kit is what i'll get.

D

DAMN YANKEE

Great Choice. If you are going to tune it yourself, you will need OBD software as well. Dont forget the engine issues you are talking about will trip a light so one more plug for something in that POD. I put the small square gauge on the dash behind the key. I can see it clearly, but it isn't in my face all the time.

http://www.rpmoutlet.com/autdpic.htm

1/4 Mile ET and Speed - Quarter mile acceleration, and see both your 1/4 mile speed in MPH and elapsed time in seconds

Peak Acceleration G Forces - Compare your latest efforts to a saved best, see the difference between the two, and improve your driving skills while monitoring how performance upgrades affect your vehicle’s performance

0 to 60mph Acceleration Time - acceleration time with precision

Real–Time G’s - Choose either forward (front and back) or lateral (left and right) axis instantaneous acceleration G Forces on the LED array and digital display. LED array graph will show magnitude of the G force, while the instantaneous value will be display in the numeric digital display. Peak memory feature allows you to recall the highest G Forces achieved in both axes (all four directions) during Real-Time operation. This display function is a hoot!

Calculate peak horsepower to the wheels (whp) - Compare your latest peak to a saved best, see the difference between the two.

Precisely calculate the distance to stop from 60mph - Capture Peak Deceleration G Forces. Compare your latest efforts to a saved best, see the difference between the two, and improve your driving skills while monitoring how performance upgrades affect your vehicle’s performance

Mccarlin, are you going with 1 OR 2 sensors?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
the way to log is with the vec@ right ? or is there another way to do it ?

i dont wanna be driving around with a laptop in my car but im guessing its gotta be while logging ?

D

DAMN YANKEE

Either way..with his VEC2 (and your laptop) or with the Innovate LM-3 AuxBox monitors attach to the auxiliary input of the LM-1 (and your laptop for real time logging or a SD card up to 2 gigs that you then put in your laptop when you are out of your car).

I found this very helpful, though I only use their LC-1 and the VEC3.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/resources/lm101.php

From here on its a discussion on what constitutes a good pull, the right data to chart, the right way to anaylse the charts/tables, make the corrections within the VEC software, and the ever popular discussion "how long does your logger log."

Which ever way you do it, he'll be making his changes on the VEC.
I use a laptop sitting on the passenger seat. No big deal, but I'm not a fraction as competent a builder, tuner or racer as Jack.

OP
OP
M

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mccarlin, are you going with 1 OR 2 sensors?

The car is already fully tuned by PBJ (Running like stock) and they are not far from me to fix anything if something needed to be changed. I want to be able to monitor the AF's for precautionary reasons as i dont want to see my motor blow up from a failure of something else.
I will be going with one sensor that comes with the kit. :)

OP
OP
M

Mccarlin

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Purchased my innovative LC-i with Gauge kit.

for anyone looking buy them on EBAY. Innovative's website sell's the kit for $399.99 and i found several ebay stores that sell them for $319.99 directly shipping from innovative. I guess dealer pricing is nice. :)