Which intake system?

JnM_SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've recently acquired a 96 RT/10 and the previous owner broke the clamps that hold that stock air box together. Instead of replacing the stock box why not add an aftermarket intake system.

I've looked into K&N and Hennessy but wanted to get some recommendations on what works best.

Thanks for the help!!!
-Mike

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
search around for the answer but i dont recall the aftermarket intakes really adding any power. the K&N filters do though. some like the vipair intake

OP
OP
J

JnM_SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
K&N claims that their intake system will add 13.4hp. I know it's not going to add ground breaking performance but most of the aftermarket intake system are cheaper then replacing the stock air box. The extra HP is just a bonus! Just looking for suggestions on which system gets the best reviews.

1badacr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've looked into used stock air boxes I just figured if I was going to replace it why not get an aftermarket one and get a few extra "snakes" out of it.

I have a jmb performance performance intake, the long version, the box is gloss black, and the tubes are rally wheel
Silver.
The tubes have 1/8 nitrous bungs in them ( actually have the nitrous system on the car)
I just ordered a Paxton , and the box and nitrous system is coming off.
I plan on selling the whole nitrous kit with the air box, as a whole as the system has all the bells and whistles, every
Possible option a nitrous system can have, I even have a custom piece of light plywood shaped like the gts trunk with black heavy duty
Custom bottle holder, it just drops in the trunk, looks factory, as the piece is covered with the same color black rug.
System is nx express, bottle painted professionally gloss black, ( does have some small scratches from bottle being
Filled, but really not noticeable )
Kit comes with msd electric rpm adjustable window box
Automatic bottle heater
Wot switch
Nx pro solenoids ( everything that comes with the nx viper kit, lines etc
All relays for everything, black wire conduit on every wire
Purge kit , I had purge lines purge out of the hood gills on both sides
All jets with chart up to 300 hp, all switches, bottle heater, nos brand purge button, arm etc
The only thing this system needs is a fuel pressure safety as mine just stopped working(60 bucks max)
I haven't put it up for sale yet cause the system is still on the car, I would like to sell the air box with the system
As everything is plumbed in.
I will be putting this up for sale soon, if anyone is interested in photos just pm me, the system is bad ass, it is one of the cleanest nitrous setups I've ever seen, I went 10.30's, on a 150 shot,cat back exhaust, 3.55 gear, and MT drag
Radials.
If you want more power in your viper, and want to spend 5-600 bucks on a box, why not get the best pox out there
(this box was deigned by viper guru Joe Donavan , I will be offering everything for 1400, or will trade for a nice
Set of Belanger or m&m gen 2 1 3/4 headers

Dan Cragin

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
We did quite a bit of testing on the early Vipers and found the best increase in power was from adding smooth inlet tubes and K&N Filters. 12hp was the average for this combination, repeatable from car to car. The ACR model used this same system later in 1999.

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We did quite a bit of testing on the early Vipers and found the best increase in power was from adding smooth inlet tubes and K&N Filters. 12hp was the average for this combination, repeatable from car to car. The ACR model used this same system later in 1999.

I've noticed that smooth tubes can run from $80/pair to $275/pair. Are smooth tubes all the same or are some better/longer lasting than others?

Ratical2

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks Dan, for this information! I knew that Chrysler upped the rated HP from 450 to 460 on the GT2's that came this way from the factory, but, it is nice to know the real numbers the upgrade provided.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like DC said, The increase in power comes form the free'er flowing filters and smooth tubes, so spending a couple benjamins more on a new airbox for maybee a few more hp is not cost effective.

I've noticed that smooth tubes can run from $80/pair to $275/pair. Are smooth tubes all the same or are some better/longer lasting than others?

You can go to most speed shops and have them order you silicone tubes in any color you want to fit the throttlebodys/airbox and cut them yourself to fit.
My local shop just happens to carry this stuff and also sells on the internet. Take alook if you want to see what the "raw" material costs:
http://www.verociousmotorsports.com...Silicone-Hose/Silicone-Hose-3-Ply-By-the-Foot

When its all said and done. If you buy the stuff for 50-60bucks(including clamps) and DIY ending up with crooked edges then you might have been better off paying one of our vendors the extra 30bucks or whatever to send them to you pre-cut with a niceer fit/finish:2tu: but figure i'd put that option out there for the crafty ones:)

The newers style perfectly bent aluminum tubes are more expensive and prob flow slightly better but i like the cheaper cost of the silicone and the look of the solid color they offer. Some like the chrome/polished look of the new ones. To each his own:2tu:

CEJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Dom, that link was pretty interesting. Sounds like the tubes are just a commodity material. Agreed...$30 extra for exact length and clean ends is reasonable.

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Modifying the Gen 2 factory air box has always been one of the best options. By removing the rain guard and installing K&N "OE" replacement air filters and a set of smooth tubes works excellent for HP and TRQ. Straight shot of fresh air into throttle bodies. This is the way most racers we're running their Gen 2 Vipers during Viper Days race events back in the good old days. The only down side is if you are are all weather Viper driver, water can get into your engine potentially while driving in the rain. The K&N air box was good also but I believe it's currently out of production for certain years??

(note: removal of factory rain guard requires cutting tools and then installation of a plastic or aluminum plate to cover removed rain guard, seal with a bead 3M sealant and attach with rivets. This makes for a good weekend project or contact your local Viper tech to do modification.)

BAD BOYZZ GARAGE, INC.
Toddy

=DISTRIBUTORS OF POWER=:usa:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62