Whistling sound ?

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just drove my 94 down to the store and as i was driving i thought i heard a whistling sound coming from the engine. Also,it seemed while it was making the sound,i lost power and then it would stop whistling and the power seemed to come back to normal. Is their a vaccuum hose leak i should be looking for? Appreciate any suggestions. I am scheduled to take it to the Dodge dealership wednesday for rear change..possible header gasket leak and some other things. Could a vaccuum leak be the cause of my problems after all?
Thanks,David

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you just put in clean filters or change to smooth tubes? Those will make the car whistle but they are not going to cause a performance loss.

Pop the hood and see if you can simulate it in the garage and get a better idea of where it is coming from. Most of the stuff that makes or uses vacuum is on the top of the engine.

I would also start posting in the Gen 1/2 section. More exposure. The New Owner section is more for questions like what the screens are on the hood and what the yellow arrow light on the dash means. I think you've graduated.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Same thoughts as above...plus one more...a friend with a 2001 had a whistle off and on for a couple of weeks on short drives...cleaned airbox, throttle bodies, IAC, etc. Got worse on long trip..."sounded like a tea kettle"...found a heater return hose about to pop off of engine(which it did when he touched it). With a Gen I, remove wiper arms & plastic cowl, then inspect thermostat/hoses at back of engine closely, carefully when warm. Just suggesting a wild card that I saw a week ago.

V

Venomiss

I thought this was going to be a squirrel thread. AWWW. That's a squeaky sound.

Please take pictures of your Viper when you leave it at the dealership.
Inside and out along with the odometer.
Don't want to read about another joy ride but they do happen. Those pictures can come in mighty handy sometimes.

OP
OP
M

musclenutz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I aplogise for not thanking everyone but i took it to the mechanic and he installed new header gaskets....and it is doing much better now and running great. Thanks everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadlick32