Who can answer- Road course useage at v.o.i. ?

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will v.o.i. entrants be allowed to drive their viper on the Ft. Worth road course (not auto cross) with out the envolvement of skip barber or viper days just on your own. If so, how much time do you think ?? Thanks.

Doc.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think that MSR is on the agenda for VOI. There is a Viper Days at MSR in October. I will be at the ranch this weekend and you are welcome to join me. I usually get 3-4 hours each day of track time when I go.LMK

Doc

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not refering to msr... Im asking about the infield road course at the ft. worth speedway that we will all be at. Any vca presidents out there that can answer my question.. Thanks.

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless you stay for Viper Days (or race in the VRL), you WILL NOT be allowed on the track without a Skip Barber instructor. Period.

PS - During VOI, track time is limited - you may get 4 laps at a time, 5 times, for the weekend. VOI is not about track time, it's about the "experience". Viper Days is about track time - you'll get 4 hours in 2 days at Viper Days - and you will be allowed out on your own - assuming you are not a menace.

OP
OP
V

VIPER GTSR 91

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of rules for someone with a regional license, but I can get track time and a little more experience out of my system at TWS in college station, TX. for 225.00 a day before VOI. Im sure liability is always an issue. Thanks for the info... Mark.

Doc.

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I misunderstood. TWS is a great Viper track. I was down there a couple of weeks ago and it was a lot of fun. My invitation to go to MSR is always open if you ever want to join me. $20.00 for each 30 minute session is pretty inexpensive track time. As usual, Janni has the answers.

Doc

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While it's great you have a regional license (SCCA, I am assuming) again - that is NOT what VOI is about. VOI is about the people, the food the partying, the access to DC executives, the other competitive events, etc. It's never been billed as a day for track rats. Heck - usually the Friday before an SCCA weekend, you can run for $200. If you are that experienced, why not stay for viper Days and get a TON of quality track time with other Viper drivers and measure your skill?

The VOI organizers are not going to check credentials and turn people loose on the road course - especially when there are about 700 cars there - you'd be out with 20 other cars on the track and they sure as hell don't have a regional license (some of them are probably lucky to have a regular license....) add on top of that, we're not talking about "run sessions", we're talking about Skip Barber Instructors hopping into cars with everyone from a safety conscious person who just wants to experience the track to a testosterone ****** who's bragged to his friends that he can drive the wheels of his car - and there's a reason VOI isn't about track time.

Take a look at the schedule - the track driving is one line item in an entire weekend of activities.

Ooomph

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just to clarify, the Viper road course and Viper autocross scheduled in VOI8 for Fri./Sat. are both with a Skip Barber instructor aboard? It doesn't matter to me either way. I'd be happy just getting a few laps in at a real Nascar track, especially if I had pictures. Also, are helmets required, and if so, do we need to pack them or will they be provided? Sorry if I'm beating a dead horse y'all, first Viper, first VOI, etc...

Janni

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The road course will have a Skip Barber instructor in the car at all times. Helmets are required. If youdo not have one, there will be helmets there to use. This will be the road course at TMS and NOT the oval. I believe that the road coarse uses the flats of the oval, but not the banking.

The autocross will be all you - it's competitive and you are on your own. Last time they had instructors there if you wanted - they were pretty helpful in showing you the fast way around and they rode with everyone the first time or 2..... Helmets were not required for that if I remember correctly.

You will have a BLAST!

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A very, very minor correction on the track situation at VOI 8. The infield road course at TMS will not use any of the oval - flat or otherwise. Skip Barber went down to the track prior to booking the event and determined the transition (from oval to infield) was too abrupt for most of the novice drivers. As such, 100% of the road course will be on the infield track layout:

You must be registered for see images

Now the good news is that you WILL get some time on the oval as well. The plan is to have Vipers go out behind a pace car, but not just any pace car: A Dodge SRT-10 Ram! So I would expect some "spirited" laps on the big oval as well.

The Viper autocross will be run outside of the track in one of the ancillary parking lots. It will be a LARGE autocross and should be a blast. If it is like the last VOI, no helmets required and passengers are fine. In St. Louis my normally conservative wife was yelling at me to GO FASTER!! Kinda fun!

Janni is 100% correct in that the track events at VOI are not the center of the event, but rather another venue to enjoy your Viper along with hundreds of other Viper owners. Safety is first and foremost, which is not a bad thing when many of the Viper owners there are first-time attendees that have never taken their cars much further than their own driveway. I don't imagine the more experienced track rats would be thrilled with the guy that is putting his turn signals on at every corner as he putts around at 20 mph... ;)

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Chris-
So what I hear you say is the left hand high G banking oil starvation issue for the SRT-10's was NOT a reason they choose to do the flat road course, Right?

Can't wait to get the yellow car at VOI-8!!!

PBR

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what I hear you say is the left hand high G banking oil starvation issue for the SRT-10's was NOT a reason they choose to do the flat road course, Right?

Well not at least for the 2005 yellow SRT's... :2tu:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What Janni said....

The VOI-8 'supervised drive' is fun for most novices and intermediates. With an SCCA license in hand, an annoying frustration for advanced and especially race-licensed drivers. STAY FOR VIPER DAYS ! You will use the larger layout, have only cursory supervison if you have a current SCCA ticket.
But DO take an instructor on your first session at least.....

See ya There......

I miss my Mom,
I miss My Dad
I miss my wife,
I missed a few whitetails.
I missed my budgets.
I missed the toilet a few times.

But I've NEVER Missed a VOI! "Cant Wait For Eight" CNTW848