Who gets 1st 2003s?

Larry 03 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who or what determines the order of delivery of the 2003 vipers.
I am assuming that there will be more orders that production capacity.
Larry

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
There will be a synopsis of the ordering process available shortly.

Essentially, you DO NOT have to rush to the phone on the 10th (and your best bet is actually using the web link). The sequence WILL NOT BE DETERMINED by the order that your request arrives OR what certificate number you get!

This will be determined BY DODGE (and nobody, at this point, knows the criteria), after all certificates are received by the participants, completed by your selected dealer, and mailed to the address provided.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, Joe. What happens if there are 3000 requests for the 03 from the "chosen first born", and only 2000 produced for 03? It seems that the order of certificate authenticization (huh, is that a word?) would determine which 2000 of the first 3000 get the first cars. Or does Dodge then draw names from a hat? Thanks.

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
No one really knows how Dodge is going to prioritize the build, but all conversations lead me to believe that they will fulfill their promise to honor all certificates. My guess, this might mean some of the later cars built for those holders (if the response goes beyond one year production) might end up as 2004's.

But everyone's orders will still be fulfilled before ANY of the general "non-chosen" orders are built!

Great deal for all!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe, that is the exact plan, and the reason why they will not open up dealer orders until after Dodge counts all the "order certificates" submitted by the owners. Fill all certificate orders, even if it takes three years. The owner body will be priority number one.

Now if everyone READS the last VIPER Magazine very carefully, you might get a hint on how the FIRST ones will get picked?
confused.gif
tongue.gif
cool.gif

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As for selecting "the order" it sounds like it will be "drawn out of a hat". They have made it very clear that there will be NO special consideration for those certificates that arrive prior to others. For those spread out all over the place this should serve you the best. At least those that live in the area would not get the advantage because they could get it delivered faster.

OP
OP
L

Larry 03 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are there any numbers available of how many original owners there are who are eligible to get a certificate?
I'm sure not everyone will want a 2003 but I would like to know how big the pool of owners is.
Larry

Nsane1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This was going to be my next question, so I'm glad this is here. I'm very interested to know how this is gonna work, if I wake my lazy but up at 6AM on Monday 12/10, to get my order dealy in, and then the thing comes to my house, I call that day to my dealer, and force him to fax the special order form in, so we're talkin like 12/20 or so this fax gets into DC central. Even though I might be the very first cert/order form/blood type/deposit dude on the planet, I could still be the last delivered 2003?

The ONLY variable I see here is the dealer, which might make sense, meaning the dealers who sold the most, might get the first cuts, but that doesnt seem fair to the smaller dealers who sell 2-4. So if that's true, Woodhouse would sell 1000 viper b4 my one gets made. That can't be it. I'm very confused now. I don't need to be a low VIN, I'd just like to get my car before
the winter so I can enjoy my first convertible car...

Hmm, a hint would be VOI registration, but we won't be registered by then, or maybe they'll decide around that time, or maybe how many VOIs I've been too, or how long a VCA member. egads...

Man, moving targets are fun!

SRT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Now if everyone READS the last VIPER Magazine very carefully, you might get a hint on how the
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
FIRST ones will get picked?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got it Steve, those that order the SRT-10 and attend VOI.7 will be first! Yes?

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I am buying a 2003, so this is very near to my heart. Here's my opinion (I have NO inside info - totally speculation here).

1) Dodge expects production to go up. Some years they made almost 2,000 Vipers, so I think maybe we will be looking at up to 4,000 SRT's. Even if they have delays, I think they will still crank out 2,000 the first year at least.

2) I HIGHLY doubt that there are 2,000 people who bought their Viper new and still own it, and want an SRT. So I am pretty confident that some non-certificate holders will be getting SRT's the first year of production.

This leads us to wonder about the allocation system. If I am #50 at a big dealer with a certificate, I still have to get my car before the guy who is #1 at another dealer but who doesn't have a certificate. This means that the existing allocation system WILL NOT APPLY for SRT's - it can't if Dodge is going to live up to it's promise to give cert. holders SRT's before non-holders.

So what will their criteria be? Well, I would think they would want to get SRT's "out there" to all 50 states, and to people who might show them. Also, consider that VOI7 is in October (I believe), and production starts around September maybe? How many SRT's can they make in that timeframe? My GUESS would be "just enough to satisfy orders for guys/gals who are going to VOI!".

I BELIEVE (total speculation) that Dodge is going to try to get the SRT's to folks who are attending VOI FIRST. Because a) it ***** not to have your car there, and b) it makes them look good, and c) it rewards the attendees, and d) it fuels the hype.

They might also try to allocate based on # of years of ownership, and VCA standing, or something... so JOIN THE VCA, and SIGN UP FOR VOI and you have the best chance overall, in my opinion.

What I would like is for us all to speculate on what the "special gift" will be for SRT owners at VOI7. I have an idea, but I might be WAY WAAAY off, and if I am right, it's a big gift to give - too big probably.

Let the speculation begin!
smile.gif

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Special gift= HARDTOP, way over the top, that what you're thinking, Mike? Nah, could'nt happen I just figured out possible $ if 3rd qtr production based on blah, blah, but interesting silence so far on the topic of hardtops. More probable, Skip Barber gift certificate, OH JEEZ!, first dibs on the list for next GTS!?? One off Competition coupe certified for street use!? Raffle of all attendees? The thing I admire about this from a business standpoint is how they are holding our interest and our attention in terms of brand loyalty, they are creating an aura of loyalty to the Viper Brand, as an owner of some 20 some Corvettes, nobody at Chevrolet ever got me this worked up. Mr Lutz, if you're out there your legacy lives on.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I were a betting person, the certificates will not be mailed until after Jan 10th...... Remember, the Certificate holders have all the way to Feb, 28th to get their order in.

We have reproduced the Viper Mag article Text at:

http://www.viperclub.org/articles/vgx.html

There is a link on the home page for to the SRT-10 info as well.

People may be surprised how many Viper owners still have the cars they bought new, Heck, Maurice has two! Guess that means he can get two certificates, I can rattle off a dozen folks off the top of my head that have from two to seven Vipers they bought new and still own
smile.gif

Here is the Text:

Dodge decides on "customer-driven" allocation plan:

When it comes to information about the new 2003 Dodge Viper SRT-10 convertible sports car, the Viper
Nation has held its collective breath long enough to turn blue. Now Dodge has settled on a method for
distribution of what promises to be among the most collectable, sought-after automobiles ever assembled. At
the time of publication, 2003 Viper SRT-10 production is scheduled to begin in the third quarter of 2002. Now,
here's the scoop on how to qualify to buy it.

Owners of Vipers purchased new between Day One and November 15, 2001- and still owned by the original
owner- will be given the opportunity to make a reservation for the 2003 Viper SRT-10. These owners are still
known to Dodge and their ownership status is easily verified. Asking for a reservation doesn't obligate you to
buy the car, but it does give you the option to place an order for the new 2003 Dodge Viper convertible that
could be in short supply. Given Dodge's inability to predict the response to this offer, we cannot ensure that
everyone who wants one and qualifies will be able to get an '03 model-year Viper. The reservation certificates
are offered to qualified potential buyers on a first-come, first-served basis, but the reservation does not
determine any particular vehicle build sequence or any individual priority within the early reservation group.

From December 10, 2001 to January 10, 2002, a four-week window of opportunity will be open only to
customers who have purchased a new Viper before November 15, 2001, and still own that car. If you qualify,
you may register your interest in buying the 2003 Viper SRT-10 in either of two ways.

The first way is to point your Web browser to www.viperclub.org or www.2003vgx.com. The second way is to
call Viper Headquarters on the special 2003 Viper SRT-10 toll-free line at 1-877-468-6864 (9 am to 5 pm ET,
Monday-Friday). In either case, you will be asked to prove ownership of a qualifying Viper (bought new, and still
owned by you).

Upon approval, Viper HQ will send you a numbered reservation certificate that is not transferable and can only
be used by the person whose name matches the certificate number in the Dodge record. The reservation
certificate will be sent by U.S. Mail to the address of record.

You then have until February 28, 2002, to see your Dodge Viper dealer with the registration certificate, place a
valid deposit on a 2003 Viper SRT-10 and confirm intent to buy the car. If you do not place your order through
your Dodge Viper dealer by February 28, 2002, the reservation certificate expires.

The 2003 Viper SRT-10 will be available to all other interested customers if there isn't a shortage of vehicles
after February 28, 2002.

On top of being among the very first on the planet to own and drive the 500-plus-horsepower Dodge Viper
SRT-10 ragtop, buyers who also attend VOI.7 in Nashville, Sept. 26-30 will be presented with a unique and very
special gift by Dodge.

Frank 03SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It is becoming clearer. New owner + VOI 7 = one of the 03s.

Considering that about 1000 cars show up at VOIs probably means that the first years production will satisfy all "new owner + VOI 7 attendees". With this knowledge, however, maybe another 250 might show up hoping for an 03. BUT, not all will want an 03. So that drops it back down to 1000. THEREFORE, everyone with the first come certificate will get one, plus another 1000 "next pecking order" owners will get the 03.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frank 01GTS:
.......Considering that about 1000 cars show up at VOIs
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not even close..... hundreds less.

8AVETTE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't forget that almost all the 2001 owners still have there cars, and that's about 1700. maybe 1/2 of the 2000 owners still have theres on so on. So maybe they should start with the oldest Viper owners first, or maybe go by loyalty and how many new vipers a person has bought. That would be 3 for me.

OP
OP
L

Larry 03 SRT-10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This board shows 14,349 vipers built between 92 and 2000.
Another 1500 for 2001 would be 15849 total vipers built.
Of that amount what would still be owned by the original owner.
Would Dodge have that info and would anyone have that info.

I would think that there could easily be 25-35% still in the hands of the original owners.

larry

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the past some of Dodges' allocations of cars were determined by their desire to efficiently send out full reliable trucks, so I would guess that in some cases the delivery of your car would depend on if they could have space on the truck for your car.
CAAP has a holding area for finished cars awaiting loading onto reliable carriers.
Those wishing to take delivery at CAAP will probably get their car as soon as it is thru final inspection.

This is great...the anticipation is growing with first 03's still over 6 Months away.

I predict that after a few car magazine reviews of this car the waiting line will run completely around the block.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by YellowSnake:
I HEARD SOME DODGE HIGH-UPS IN DETROIT ALREADY ARE DRIVING 2003'S. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great job, eh?!

Every year, every model, D-C has pre-production vehicles (PPVs) in development testing. D-C engineeers and program execs test-drive these "mules." At last count, there were 20 VGX/ SRT-10s in service in various capacities, inclduing eventual crash testing. The FREC-built cars likley have no VIN numbers at this time. Some will have 2002 Vins, esp if built at CAAP

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many DC people are driving the SRT/10 around the Detroit area. On my last two visits to Detroit I have seen a total of 4 on the street!!!! This is typical in the Motor City. That is actually one of the main reasons I love visiting! The sights are way cool!

As for information on orders, I am under the impression that everyone who meets the required qualifications should be receiving something direct in the mail soon. And like Joe mentioned, immediate response will NOT be a factor in determining the distribution order.

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
Actually, Steve, and all, the next thing you will receive via mail will be the actual certificate.....and that only happens if you either call 877-468-6864 or access www.2003vgx.com between Dec 10 and Jan 10.

Joseph Houss

VCA Officer
Reaction score
I love this thread! The enthusiasm for the '03 is incredible.....yet,

We have seen so many posts throught the last six months that describe the "soft looks" of the VGX.

I'll stick with my original thought....many moons ago:

When the '03 comes out ....

EVERYONE WILL WANT IT!

EVERYONE WILL LOVE IT!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike- Production goal "increase" is the plan. Production reality, no one knows? But 4,000 would really be a stretch.

VOI- Dream scenario, 1000+ Viper's. Goal, no one knows?

All those trying to figure this out. Can't happen. Why? Because Dodge is going to take it's time and do the best it can to make it a fair and fun procedure. So all our "guessing" is simply that. Just have some fun with it.

Again, when you get the certificate in will not amount to anything. Before Dodge assigns a distribution order, they will have all the certificates in HAND. That is when the selection will take place. So relax and just make sure you order is in before the deadline. That is all you can do at this point.

Your job is to do what has been asked of you. From that point on it will come down to the luck of the draw. Good luck to all.

BTW. we did a little calculation in our region and figured that out of 250 club members that over 150 are qualified for the program.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth