Who is going to the team Viper Auto X in Detroit

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm taking Saturday off from the Viper Nationals at Norwalk to attend. I qualified at Englishtown. And they say drag racers can only turn left at the finish! I'm sure I'll be cone fodder at Chelsa. Then the cone racers can come to Norwalk and Drag Race.

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am supposed to be going, I qualified at Englishtown also.
I just got back to the States 5 days ago, and it says on the paper i got that i need to reply no later then August 6th.
I will try calling/faxing them tomorrow to see if i can still make it.

BigsViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob Cain and Tom Atherton from North Texas.
cool.gif

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone know who all the finalists are for the team viper auto cross challange?, I know the shoot out is September 15th in Detroit.

pdmracing

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I qualifed too with Sean Roe @ Orlando . I s anyone interested on touring the assembly plant? I am staying sunday too & plan on hitting the Chrysler & Ford Museums

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Judging from the team in place, this should be a very competitive race. As for putting a whopping on them, don't wake up a sleeping giant, these guys are for real. Lets just hope our National Team can bring back the "Slick-Shifter" trophy!

Also, let make ALL VCA MEMBERS PROUD!

OP
OP
P

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets see? they're practicing on a course we can't get a faxed layout of? HuMMMMMMMMMMMM????

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually, the VCA set up the course last year. Then Team Viper made a few adjustments and we were all up and running. That seems to be the fair way to do it.

Viperrick

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think they are practicing on the course as it will be set up by the local SCCA chapter the day of the event. I will try to make sure we have some input on minor modifications the day of the event. Knowing the PVO members they will try to make it as fast as possible while the SCCA typically likes to slow it down. Look out for their ringer named Steve Telechowski. I would have to say the best they had last year. I wonder who will be the top guy from each team in the individual portion of the event?

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by [email protected]:
Is anyone interested on touring the assembly plant?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pete,
I'm up for the CAAP tour. My flight options are to arrive Friday at 10:00 or 11:30 am. What time are you getting there? If anybody else is getting there about the same time, maybe we could hook up and split transporation also.
We need to talk driving strategy among the VCA team too.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Steve,

I tried that particular strategy in the final chicane at the Midwest regional event. It was a bit quicker, but the factory guy did not seem to appreciate the smoke from the front brakes when I was done with my lap.
smile.gif

Reaction score
I think this event is going to be fantastic! Every zone has quick drivers and Team Viper has quick drivers. Tis is going to be a battle.

I would like to watch the event. Anyone have a webcam or two to set-up for the Viper Nation to see the action live?

Skip Barber set-up the Western Zone course. They drive it in their cars to do a safety check. The timimng equipment was set-up and the Dodge cars with new tires were put through the course to remove the mold release from the tires. We timed a coulpe Skip Barber runs to set the bar. They were in the mid 49s'.

Top Results:
Don Campbell 48.091
Dave Dunlap 48.099
Brian Angen 48.174
Rich Bontempi 48.287
Eight Drivers 49.046 to 49.937
Four Drivers 50.071 to 50.859
Three Drivers 51.200 to 51.953
Six Drivers 52.468 to 52.929
Three Drivers 53.290 to 53.955
Fiver Drivers 54.341 to 54.959
One 58.496
One 61.156
One 66.782
One 69.998

The top four times had a range of 0.196 seconds. The 4th place driver needed to improve by 0.407% to take over First place.

This will be an exciting event! I would like to watch the action live!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the best shot we are going to get at seeing this is on a pre-approved video. There will be no unauthorized cameras allowed. This place is usually pretty tough to even enter.

What if we did a web-cast, but only with voice?

Anyone know how to do this? all we need is to have a play-by-play person (obviously, one of the events non drivers) and we might be able to actually pull it off?

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
I would think a "voice only" webcast would be pretty boring... but, we may be able to post times, in real time, to the site, so that everyone can get an idea as to who is in the lead.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Joe, if you did play by play, announcing all the spins and lead changes, that might be a real blast. You are going to be surprised at how many lead changes there will be.
cool.gif

Joseph Houss

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
This could be done.... just need a volunteer to post from a pc, as we can call in via cell phone after each run.

We just need a Detroit member's cel phone that hopefully has free nights and weekends!

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No live photo's will be allowed. That is art of the policy you sign off on in order to enter. Approved crews can take pictures, but they have to make sure that the photo's don't contain or reveal any trade secrets. Way to much of a hassle to go through. A radio post would probably be excepted, but even that needs to be approved. Think of it as as extended version of the same rules that apply at CAAP.

Steve Ferguson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do remember one of the tricks they used last year, that gave them a big advantage, driving with both feet! Yes, the would drive the whole course with the brake light on! You might want to add that to the possible strategy?