Why do nice cars end up at Auction?

Gforce

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone know why a nice car (like a Viper or 911TT) would end up at an auction?

Seems to me that if the car was up-and-up a dealer would pick it up?

Should I be concerned about buying a used Viper/911TT/Lambo if carfax tells me it was at an auction? Some of these have been there twice. Mostly after a lease.

thoughts? guidance?

j

Dawg2Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They end up at auction because there is a small market for expensive used cars, and dealers don't often want to have a car sit on the lot for months waiting for the right buyer. They take them on a loball trade, then send them to a warm weather state for auction. ***** for the person trading it in, but great for auction buyers if the car has not been wrecked.

At least that's the way I understand it... :)

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
Many dealers send their trade-in's to auction.

Let's say you trade in your Viper for an M6, chances are the BMW dealer does not want a viper on the lot, they just send it to the auction, where it is picked up by another dealer that thinks has a better chance to move it.

Being in an auction has nothing to do with the car's condition, when buying a used car it is always a gamble based on how the previous owner used it. The fact that the car was shown for 2 minutes in front of buyers at an auction should not worry you.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Thats mostly true, but often times a bad car gets sent to auction too. Maybe it had light body damage,etc. Just be careful.

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A lot of buy-backs wind up at auctions.

buybacks end up at closed dodge factory auctions. trade ins end up at open dealer auctions. usually dealers dont want to sit on big money cars for long and if they made enough on the trade in deal are happy to wholesale it.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The phrase, "we're shopping your car" means that the dealership is looking for a wholesaler (cars usually wind up at auction) or another dealership to buy your trade because they would rather not attempt to sell the vehicle themselves. The trade value is usually at or near what the wholesaler or dealership is offering. The situation is usually bad for the new car buyer due to a low offer on the trade.

The condition of cars bought from auctions is no different than buying a used car from a dealership in that no one but the original owner(s) know the true condition of the vehicle. That's why its wise to always do your homework (full inspection, CarFax, service records, etc.) prior to purchasing any used vehicle.

V10SpeedLuvr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a lot of GARBAGE come in from auctions during my 5+ years in the automotive industry. Granted, they weren't Vipers and Lamborghini type cars, but some were BMW's and Mercedes types. I would really check out any car you buy from an auction. Best yet, take a qualified tech/bodyguy with you if possible! 1 day the owner bought a low mileage 3000GT twin turbo and a low mileage Corvette C4 from an auction. Got them in the shop and both needed new motors! We also saw plenty of cars that were most likely title washed. We could see where major body damage had been poorly repaired.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score
I saw a lot of GARBAGE come in from auctions during my 5+ years in the automotive industry. Granted, they weren't Vipers and Lamborghini type cars, but some were BMW's and Mercedes types. I would really check out any car you buy from an auction. Best yet, take a qualified tech/bodyguy with you if possible! 1 day the owner bought a low mileage 3000GT twin turbo and a low mileage Corvette C4 from an auction. Got them in the shop and both needed new motors! We also saw plenty of cars that were most likely title washed. We could see where major body damage had been poorly repaired.

Chad, I think he means buying a car that "has been at an auction" and not "buying a car from an auction"

While they may seem the same, I would never buy my own car at an auction. You barely have any time to inspect the car, and the whole process is too fast for my taste.

Now, if a dealer bought the car at an auction or it was traded in I really do not care. I have as much time as needed to inspect it, test it, get reports, etc...

Auctions are the system in which dealers "trade" cars, so everything and anything can be seen there. So unless you are a pro, do not buy at one.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good question.

I saw 2 Ford GT sell in Orlando when they first came out. They sold for about $205,000 which I guess answers the question, but I would think Ford and It's dealers would of wanted them up for their showrooms.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Chad, I think he means buying a car that "has been at an auction" and not "buying a car from an auction"

While they may seem the same, I would never buy my own car at an auction. You barely have any time to inspect the car, and the whole process is too fast for my taste.

Now, if a dealer bought the car at an auction or it was traded in I really do not care. I have as much time as needed to inspect it, test it, get reports, etc...

Auctions are the system in which dealers "trade" cars, so everything and anything can be seen there. So unless you are a pro, do not buy at one.

They are not the same. A wholesaler auction is for resellers (dealerships, etc.). A public auction is for seized vehicles, repossessions, etc. Some of these cars are GARBAGE or may look like GARBAGE because they have not restored in order to make them presentable for resale.

evomind

Viper Owner
Reaction score

usually u have time to inspect the vehicles b4 the auction takes place.
at least thats what ive been told.

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A friend of mine would buy a lot of Vipers from auctions and every 4th or 5th one would be cherry, but all the others had a story behind them:-( Something was always wrong with them that was never easy to figure out.

zorroespanol

VCA Member - New England
VCA Member
Reaction score

usually u have time to inspect the vehicles b4 the auction takes place.
at least thats what ive been told.

Yes you do, I've been to the dealer-only auction in Orlando. I actually went there to buy a RT/10 many years ago.

Back then there were no test drives allowed, and everything is in such a rush (you check the car along with 5 other people, especially if it is a nice one) that is too fast for my personal taste...

zen garage

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was a 05 964 mile red srt at the dodge auction today. Unfortunately for me I was away from my desk and not at the sale and didnt place a bid.

There are many very nice cars that run down the shoot. Dont be afraid of a car that sold at auction, just do your due diligence and you should be fine.

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You would be surprised the amount of high end cars that end up at auction. I have heard of everything from Turbos to Ferraris and Lambos at auction. Many dealers that can not sell the cars themselves bring them to auction to dump them.