Why do the back brakes ****?

Zrxpilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seen lots of posts on the lame back brakes of the gts prior to abs. My buddy that all of you know was clever enough to figure out that if you fatten up the pistons to 40 mm in the back...all is well.

Fine. Doing some basic math, what would this cost Dodge? About 20 bucks? Why didnt they do this back then ? I have a hard time believing someone wasnt smart enough in r&d to figure this out back then and implement it.

****** me off.

Just venting.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Since I am an outlaw I cannot access the link Tom posted, but I say weak rear brakes are a safety issue - just like proportioning valves. The fronts billowing tire smoke is safer than the rears locking up and sending you into loop-de-loops. But Tom's caliper mods fixes the issue (don't forget to see the thread that indicates swapping to Gen III brakes on a Gen II adds a good 20 pounds of unsprung weight which is another argument for Tom's caliper mod).

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
(don't forget to see the thread that indicates swapping to Gen III brakes on a Gen II adds a good 20 pounds of unsprung weight which is another argument for Tom's caliper mod).

But that's 20 pounds of eye-popping jaw-dropping bling my outlaw friend. ;)

Also to be said about the SRT brakes versus any of the Gen 2 rework kits is the resistance to fade etc that the overall bigger and heavier brakes are supposed to offer. On my '01 every time I've done high speed braking (100+) I immediately smell brakes on a single use. I haven't had my new SRT's long enough to try them out yet, but that's one of the things they are supposed to do is to handle the heat better.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Evolution. Why didn't the first Vipers have aluminum blocks or today's suspensions? Cost and supply has a lot to do with it. There is a lot more that goes into designing a car than what seems to be simple logic from the average buyer's eyes.

PheonixGTS hits on another point.

You can engineer and engineer forever but at some point you have to cut the cord and deliver the baby. That's what Dodge did in 1992 and today we have a car that anyone can aspire to own and whoops every car in it's class and then some.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960