Why is it when the fascia gets repainted..it seems to chip easier than factory..

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I noticed that cars or vipers that get the fascia repainted look great, but they seem to chip easier than when the factory paint was on. The factory paint seems more resilent than a repaint. Any idea's why?

I'm about ot have my fascia sent off to get a repaint. Do I need them to put extra flex agent in the paint?

Does it chip due to possibly baking the paint and making it more brittle?

Any idea's?

Reaction score
Prep time is usually the most missed part of repainting the fascia. Most people want them done fast and the painters simply do not take time on them like they should.

dansauto

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Baking is used to "flow" the paint to reduce orange peal. But is does help the catalist harden the paint. Jason is correct, prep is the key. On plastic parts they should be wiped down with a plastic prep, and primed with a self ectching or epoxy primer. I have done many motorcycles and never had a problem with chipping after using a self etching primer. Flex agents are a thing of the past. They were used before urthane based paints were developed. Back in the enamel days the enammal got hard and brittle when catalized. As more parts were made of plastic (bumper covers) , the paint mfgs need to make the enamel as flexable as the plastic parts, so it you push on them the paint didn't crack like ice and fall off. Urthanes are like a liquid plastic and will flex with the part.