Why Replace a Gen 3 Exhaust

HensleySRT-10

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Tere,

The exhaust looks fantastic and sound even better. Is there any type of drone in the car after the install? I have been looking at both the Borla and Corsa systems but am leaning more towards the Borla now.

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you put the windows up and turn your audio on, I don't think you'll hear much of anything from the exhaust. At a constant speed on highway cruising with the windows down just about any Viper exhaust including stock is going to be audible to some degree.

Borla does have a "million mile" warranty -- pretty much meaning for the life of the car. After almost 6 years on my '03 350, the exhaust tips and muffler look and sound as good as they did the day I installed them. Personally, I think both Corsa and Belanger are slightly overpriced (the "Viper tax" thing), so in "bang for the buck" I think Borla is OK -- good quality, good sound, and good performance. In independent head-to-head testing of exhausts on the 350Z, Borla came through with the best hp increase, so it can't be too shabby on the Viper.

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'll have to hear how yours sounds at the next event! I am considering in the future putting on a bit tamer exhaust.

I like my Belanger pretty well, but it sometimes is a bit much in the noise department. I generally feel louder is better, but I think having it next to your ear makes it potentially harmful for hearing in the long run.

Black Adder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Tere,
With the Borla, does the exhaust still "burble and pop" on overrun like the OEM exhaust?
Regards
Tony
2006 SRT-10 Vert

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Tere,
With the Borla, does the exhaust still "burble and pop" on overrun like the OEM exhaust?
Regards
Tony
2006 SRT-10 Vert
It sure does. Maybe a little louder than stock, but not much. It's definitely the Viper "signature" exhaust sound but with a deeper tone.

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dyno results with only Borla cat-back mod. Both runs on the same DynoJet. Air temp was a little higher for the Borla run.

Stock: 435 whp / 474 wtq

Exhaust: 440 whp / 476 wtq

As a side note, my '06 Gen III is a little short on hp, but on the high side in torque when compared with other Gen IIIs on the same dyno.

If you throw a tune in, you should be able to get more. A stock Viper tends to go rich at about 4,800 rpm. With the Borla, it went rich at 4,400 rpm (off scale rich at 5,000 rpm).

Most folks thought the Borla sounded good when we ran up to redline. It has a nice deep tone with no raspiness.

Last edited:

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced there entire exhaust system from headers back using Belangers. One add claimed 50HP increase. Has anyone done this and had it Dyno'd?

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced there entire exhaust system from headers back using Belangers. One add claimed 50HP increase. Has anyone done this and had it Dyno'd?
I'd guess with headers and test pipes added into the mix you could get about 50 more hp at the wheels PROVIDED you get a good tune. The going rich issue is the big hp killer in the mix, so a tweak in air/fuel and maybe timing is going to be needed to get the most out of a full exhaust system swap-out.

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked it up for about $850 with free shipping -- borlaparts.com

Delivered to my doorstep 3 days after I ordered it. :)

Well, I've been avoiding purchasing this for awhile, even though I knew I needed it, esp. in Florida. Interior gets so hot that I usually only drive my car at night. Thanks to your post, I ordered mine tonight. :2tu:

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I've been avoiding purchasing this for awhile, even though I knew I needed it, esp. in Florida. Interior gets so hot that I usually only drive my car at night. Thanks to your post, I ordered mine tonight. :2tu:
You'll notice a very significant heat reduction in the cockpit -- that alone makes the Borla a good buy.

Here's an inexpensive alternative to the full cat-back: Buy just the exhaust tips, remove the cross pipes, and bolt the tips onto the stock muffler.

ShadowLight

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you've heard the difference between stock and the straight through, I would have to imagine they are quite baffled.

viperbilliam

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put the 08 mufflers on my 05 - significantly louder but heat went down considerably. I do have the Kooks headers and their hi-flo cats. I now consider my Viper a little too loud.

Abe Froman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Corsa 3” Track and Random-Tech high flow Cats are due in today, 4/21.:headbang: (Thx to Jon-B for all his help and time)
I’ve been having a vision problem that started today and I “Can’t See” going to work the rest of the week. My equilibrium has been off as well, “I’m Leaning Toward Staying Home” and playing with the car.:lmao:
Any helpful incite on the install will be appreciated. I plan on trying to save the old exhaust as Tere did and keep it one piece, any suggestions for removing it would also be appreciated. Jeff In NM…OUT

06blueviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After reading all of the negative comments about Borla, I was hesitant to go with a Borla exhaust, but mine was installed today and I love it.

The exhaust is deep and booming like a thunderstorm rolling in. It has just the right exhaust tone and is just loud enough for my ear. The burbling/pop sound when I left off the gas is much more pronounced than stock.

It's the perfect exhaust for me and those polished tips look great next to the polished 5 spokes.

Thanks Tere for the recommendation!

mopower

Viper Owner
Reaction score
After I took off my "snakes" last weekend I measured the inside diameter and it was only 2 1/4 inches i.d. That is very small for a 500 cubic inch engine. The Mopar 3 inch race system is definitely cooler and just right for me as far as sound.

OP
OP
T

Tere

Enthusiast
Reaction score
After reading all of the negative comments about Borla, I was hesitant to go with a Borla exhaust, but mine was installed today and I love it.

The exhaust is deep and booming like a thunderstorm rolling in. It has just the right exhaust tone and is just loud enough for my ear. The burbling/pop sound when I left off the gas is much more pronounced than stock.

It's the perfect exhaust for me and those polished tips look great next to the polished 5 spokes.

Thanks Tere for the recommendation!
Glad you like it! :):drive::)

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Been monitoring this thread. I'm getting ready to pick up an 05 Copperhead, and I keep reading about the sill & cockpit heat issue with the stock exhaust.
The Borla looks like a good deal, especially since I work just down the road from their headquarters.
Since I'm in California, Smog compliance is an issue. Wife/beancounter is another.
;)
I've researched the parts pricing on the catback but having a hard time just finding the setup for just the pipes/exhaust tips (to eliminate the crossovers).

Will these two setups still pass California emissions?

Thanks!

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Been monitoring this thread. I'm getting ready to pick up an 05 Copperhead, and I keep reading about the sill & cockpit heat issue with the stock exhaust.
The Borla looks like a good deal, especially since I work just down the road from their headquarters.
Since I'm in California, Smog compliance is an issue. Wife/beancounter is another.
;)
I've researched the parts pricing on the catback but having a hard time just finding the setup for just the pipes/exhaust tips (to eliminate the crossovers).

Will these two setups still pass California emissions?

Thanks!

If you don't touch the cats it will pass smog just fine.

My 05 SRT has Corsa and I smogged it just for the hell of it and it was unbelievably clean.

xjrguy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I believe the Borla catbacks by themselves are CARB certified.

Can you post details on that?

Why would anything POST catalytic converter require CARB approval?

Borla tossed money into a fire if that is the truth.

CAI's, Intake, anything PRE cat would require an exemption.

Every Cat Back to my knowledge is "CARB certified" simply because anything behind the cats they don't care about.
:dunno:

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to the pipes/tips (cheaper option)?

I've found a bunch of sites that carry the catback, but am having a hard time finding these.

I really just want to eliminate the crossovers & the heat.
Thanks!

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
BolsOut: You have a Viper obviously? You can UPGRADE to Viper Owner by private messengering your VIN# to the moderators (lee00blacksilvergts, kcobean). Whereabouts are you located? Pipes/Tips: Chuck Tator/Tator's Dodge or Roe Racing for some suggestions. (Call Chuck and he'll help you find what you're looking for: 1-914-763-3136) :) ~juli

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
BolsOut: You have a Viper obviously? You can UPGRADE to Viper Owner by private messengering your VIN# to the moderators (lee00blacksilvergts, kcobean). Whereabouts are you located? ~juli

I am in SoCal, near L.A. I pick up the Viper tomorrow.
:drive:
I'm flying up to Sacramento & driving it home- WhooHoo!

I shall PM the Vin to them shortly.:)

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am in SoCal, near L.A. I pick up the Viper tomorrow.
I'm flying up to Sacramento & driving it home- WhooHoo!
I shall PM the Vin to them shortly.:)

Congrats!!! Today is the day...didya sleep last night???? SOOOO EXCITING~~:drive: ENJOY! ~juli

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Congrats!!! Today is the day...didya sleep last night???? SOOOO EXCITING~~:drive: ENJOY! ~juli

Great drive home- 360 miles.:2tu: Car had some known issues with rear diff, is currently at local Dodge dealership getting taken care of.

I have a friend who just bought an 09 Corvette. He came over to check it out. Drooled profusely. Once its back from the shop were planning to make a run up to the Sequoia National Forrest for some scenic twisties.
Next step is pulling the crossovers and putting either an 08 exhaust or some after-market cat-backs in there.
:)

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great drive home- 360 miles.:2tu: Car had some known issues with rear diff, is currently at local Dodge dealership getting taken care of.
I have a friend who just bought an 09 Corvette. He came over to check it out. Drooled profusely. Once its back from the shop were planning to make a run up to the Sequoia National Forrest for some scenic twisties.
Next step is pulling the crossovers and putting either an 08 exhaust or some after-market cat-backs in there.
:)

AWESOME!!! Hope that diff gets fixed right up for ya. And, oh yeah, the crossover is a 'work of art' I always say, but no, not ON the car, lol. Good luck on your choice of exhaust/cat-backs. (We had Corsa Track-Cat-Back/hi-flo cats)
Don't forget now to private message your VIN# to lee00blacksilvergts or kcobean to upgrade you to VIPER OWNER ASAP~!!! AND PIX of course, when you get the car back~!!!! :2tu::2tu: ~juli

webby

Viper Owner
Reaction score
This thread has convinced me to go with the Borla :) I wanted an exhaust that was louder, but not *too* loud. Didn't even know there would be less heat as well.

ChipHa

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to thread hijack, but it's on topic. Just installed a Paxton on my otherwise stock 2005. I am considering cat back options right now before I do more mods like headers and fuel system upgrades. I'm interested in a system on the quieter side and the associated heat loss and weight savings. There are Gen IV mufflers on ebay for about $255, or should I pass on those? I assume I will do headers and high flows and another system in the future, but this seems like an economical way to get what I'm looking for in the interim. Thoughts? Many thanks for any replies...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave