WIDTH OF STRIPES ON THE VIPER?

Bill Pemberton Woodhouse

VCA Member
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I will try to get down to the Snake Pit to measure one again, but I believe the actual measurement on the new ones is 8 inches for the stripes, with the center gap of 4 3/8 inches. Hope this is helpful.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LARoadster:
Seal - the stripe width changed on old cobra cars as it went over the car (because of body lines) based on the illusion it created if it remained uniform. don't know if this is the case with viper but be sure you get correct layout from someone before they start masking.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Viper Stripes are straight. I think the stripes you are talking about are actually Shelby GT-350 Stripes..... designed by Peter Brock. When asked how he figured out the "Wider as it goes back", his answer was, "I just played with it 'till it looked right."

Pete, just for trivia's sake, also was the designer of the Daytona Coupe, and the split window coupe Vette (even though his boss at GM at the time likes to take credit). Pete is now a free-lance writer often featured in VIPER Magazine.

For those wanting to see lots of different stripes, call Ed Combs
of Classics by Elite, he is holding a huge (largest gathering ever) of Cobras (manufactured and maybe even a few originals) June 23/24 in Ohio. his contact info is at:

http://www.cobras.com/vcobra_sponsors.html

Robert1994

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Will those same width and space measurements work on
the gen 1 cars ? Looks like there is nothing on the hood
to interfer with. I want black stripes on my red car.

OP
OP
C O D Y

C O D Y

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Please take a measurement Bill. I took my measurement off a factory striped 1998 GTS. I know '97 was wider and closer together. LMK if they have changed again?

Rich Carlson

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, if you want to go with the factory specs: 1996 the stripe is 209 mm wide with 100 mm between the stripes. 1997 and up the stripe is 203 mm wide with 112 mm between the stripes.