Will Dodge limit 08 Viper production to pre-orders?

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
With the # of unsold 04-05-06 Vipers, could Dodge simply limit the car to client orders via dealers? If so, would this help us purchase the car @ MSRP thru the dealer of your choice, as opposed to us fighting over limited dealer allocations? If they would build only the cars we ordered, could that provide price stability?

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope;

If car dealers can make a buck they will. Doubt the 08' Viper will see an MRSP sale price for some time. Mark ups and greed (via **** sticker) will prevail.

Think about it. If there are a lot of unsold new 05' and 06' cars on the lots, what better way to get rid of them, then to raise the price of the 08' car significantly but not too much, so that the 05' and 06' cars sell close to MRSP look cheap compared to the new 08s.

If they do pre-orders only, then they can pretty much charge whatever they want and I am sure they will. 600hp cars are not lot cars.

Rick

DodgeViper01

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Money always rules. I would love for that to happen but I doubt it in this car. ColoViper made some good points. Just like in the beginning with 2003s, high prices are going to happen.

OP
OP
F

FinalEd357

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I don't believe that high prices on 08s will help Dodge demand a premium for unsold 04-06 cars. I believe those prices will remain pressured due to other cars in this category. I guess they could guage demand after the car is introduced @ NAIAS in January to determine price and how to bring to the public... How many VIPER OWNERS reading this thread will pay over sticker for an '08? When is the last time any car at, or over sticker has held its value?(except for the '98 GT2) I can't believe anyone's memory would be that short.

Are you guys (serious, qualified buyers) willing to go over sticker?

P.S. If they did pre-orders only, than couldn't we order the car @ sticker from any dealer, since the quantity wouldn't be limited...?

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Believe the previous oversupply of Vipers has mostly evaporated. Great deals, trips to Germany, VCA special, production being shut down have all contributed to to the reduction in inventory.

Congratulations to everyone that snapped up one of these deals. By the time the 08 reaches the dealerships in a few months, I believe the backlog will be mostly history.

Expect to see more of a increased supply of used Vipers than new ones.