Will I make any HP with these mods?

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the next 2 weeks I am adding Randomtech 3 inch in/out Metal Honeycomb Substrate Cats
and B&B cat back.
Using my stock 01 headers.

I would just hate to add these mods just for sound and no HP gain.

But Dale's thread about swapping out a whole system headers, cats and exhaust with
no HP gain has me concerned.

Thanks
Jim :confused:

S

SUN RA KAT

You're just getting ready for a Roe Supercharger. Your exhaust will be up for it, but you will want real headers for those Random Techs (same as I got) & the cat back (I have a Corsa).

I had a similar system, but with Belanger headers & a VEC1, on my Viper waiting for the Roe Supercharger and I got 436.1 rwHP and 480.6 rwTorque.

It's nice to be <font color="yellow">YELLOW! </font>

GTS-R 001

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jimandela,

Do yourself a favor and get the B&amp;B with no cats and don't get the Random Techs, take the money from the cats and get a good set of headers as Sun suggests. The more you mod your car the more the cats are just a waste of money and a liability, mine overheated after SC install and made my side sills a nice bronze color.

Steve

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Edmonton,
Wow! that *****...
I just am taking it step by step.
this years step cats exhaust.
in time.. headers and SC

i sort of want cats so as to be legal.

but with the mods mentioned above only.. might be a few years before headers and SC
i am in the middle of building a house.
will i gain or lose power?
is the VEC 1 or VEC2 a requirement with these mods to make power?
thanks
JIM

S

SUN RA KAT

I have no Yellowing with my Cats or at least if I do, the Yellow matches. :D

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
jimandela:

As far as I am aware, you should bear in mind that the stock headers will require a similar sized hf cat and cat back system. If you are eventually going to upgrade to to a 1 3/4" header, the rest of the components will need to be changed (again) too. I'm running the stock headers and Roe's hf oval cats with the stock rear exhaust (except for the Corsa tips). It runs cool and quiet (a little bolder that the stock sound due to the SC'er and the hf cats).

If you are going to go to the larger headers eventually, you may want to consider not paying for the rest of the system twice. As for the hp, there seems to be a great deal of opinion as to which combo makes the most (if any). The biggest change is the overall exhaust sound (not my thing, but I surely represent a minority opinion here). Regardless, the hp/$ yield is not a high as the SC. Just my .02 :)

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
City,
i am going with adaptors from the stock headers to 3 inch randomtechs
and 3 inch catback B&amp;B to 4 inch chrome tips.

so header swap in eventually should be no big deal.
this way i am not paying for the exhaust twice.

KenH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Jim,
I'm going down a similar path. I plan to add 3" HF cats of some type to my Corsa 3" exhaust as well as 3.55 gears and probably a Vec 1 this summer as I was running a little rich on the dyno.

I was happy with the results of my dyno with just the smooth tubes, filters and 3" Corsa, but since my stock baseline was done on a Mustang dyno and the latest one was on a dynojet, I can't really say how much my exhaust &amp; intake really added.

I'm on the fence as to whether it is worth paying extra for the metal substrate cats. I hate to buy the same thing twice, so I'm willing to spend more money now if it will help in the long run even if I get no immediate gain. If you go with them, let us know the results.

--- Ken

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ken,
how are ya my yellow brother?
i feel the same! go with the best once and be done.
that is why i am going top of the line on the cats.
Also am checking on the VEC1 or VEC2 if Sean is making them for non-SC cars.
i keep you posted.
have a good one.
JIM

GTS Bruce

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Might as well do the whole exhaust.The stock "headers" are a pathetic squashed and dented mess.You can see my stock headers hanging up in my garage.The only reason I kept them is because they have 5 tubes.Otherwise it would be into the garbage with them.Go from your 3" collector(real headers) to a 3" straight pipe to some 3" cat back.Add syms.no problems and no heat,Loud yes!NO sniff tests in our area and since the cats are hidden there is no way to tell they are missing.Might as well just do it once and do it right.No matter what I may or may not do in the future I most certainly have enough exhaust. Bruce

S

SUN RA KAT

jimandela -

You are going to get the Roe Supercharger, so plan your mods based on that fact. Prices on Belanger headers are at an all time low - you'll need good headers for best Roe Supercharged performance. The VEC1 worked great on my non supercharged Viper and can be put on your daily non Viper driver when you get the Roe Supercharger and the VEC2.

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i may or may not go SC if i do it wont be for a while... small mod budget for a while.
so i am going for the best i can right now.
so step 1 good cats,catback and vec1
step 2 headers
step 3 SC
this is a on going project.
just want to make more and more hp as i go along.

Bruce, cant go catless too loud for me.. but thanks

thanks for the info

Jim

genXgts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The stock "headers" are a pathetic squashed and dented mess.You can see my stock headers hanging up in my garage.

ahhhhhhh, Bruce, had me laughing out loud at that one, thank god it's 2 in the morning and no one is around!

They are pretty horrible looking only prettier when next to the 80 pound anchor iron manifolds that I just yanked out of my 97.

For temp issues I recommend ceramic coating the entire exhaust from header to tails and then painting the interior of the side sills and the interior sill on the car in a heat barrier like por15. The stuff works.

While I have limited seat time in my new setup as of now, the interior carpet and trim cover along the sill is cool to the touch, you wouldn't know there was any exhaust 3 inches inboard. The sill still heats up, not to the point you can not lay your hand on the body colored sill but warm. Would like to pyro at the crucial motor off heat soak period and see how hot they get. Guessing a few hundred lower than OEM.

take care,

OP
OP
J

jimandela

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just got done with my mods.
throttle response is better , sound is much better , deeper not much louder.
we got the darn exhaust on
but it took us all day.
we needed to fabricate the front pipe to the cats. we were an inch short.
once we did that; the install went smoothly.

next week i add the VEC1 then no more mods till next year.

But this was a great mod. sounds awesome no need for the radio
nice warm not hot side sills.
huge 4 inch tips and again great sounds.
love it.

what to do with the old cats and resonators?
junk yard for scrap?