Will I see 200 mph?

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My gears are stock, and I have stock rims and Pilots fitted. Only upgrades I have on my '97 GTS, is K&N filters, smooth tubes, stainless Tri-y headers and 3" system without cats, rear GT2 wing. Will I be able to see 200 mph with just these mods? If not, any suggestions for what else would be required to crack 200 mph confidently?

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm afraid not. Ignoring the GT2 wing (which probably reduces top speed), your modifications should add 60 HP to the GTS, bringing it to about 510, and, raising the top speed from 187 MPH to 193 MPH. To hit 200 MPH with the stock bodywork, you'll need about 620 HP.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Nadine, M/T got a stock '97 GTS to 193. You might be getting close, but you'll need to be spinning about 6,000 rpm in 5th to do it.

Jeff, with 3.45 gears you'll be rpm limited in 5th gear to about 180mph @ 6,000 rpm. (200 mph with 3.45's will need ~6,700 rpm) To reach 200 mph in 6th gear with 3.45 gears would require your really big power to be there at ONLY 4,500 rpm and that's not likely.
http://www.socalviper.com/techtips/TT10.HTM
http://www.socalviper.com/techtips/gears.html
http://orbitdevelopment.com/vipergears/

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Marv S on January 03, 2001 at 11:11</font>

Reaction score
Well, we'll see if Roy and Joe can tune my stacks some for a try. They have my "Anaconda" now tweaking for this coming season.

Come on Bob, Paul, "Evil"....I've got your numbers!

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nadine you can't hit 200 mph until you put your exhaust system back on!!!! If you still can't hit it put in some laughing gas.

Motorless Ron (But only for 3 more weeks)

OP
OP
N

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mark, I hate that front number plate too, (I'm definitely a clean-shaven type girl!!)!

Thanks Marv for the links to the socal techtips, good reading.

So I've got some more upgrade goodies to buy, to see 200 mph...where should I start then...is nitrous the best option?

OP
OP
N

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A handstand at 130...that's obviously while also pulling a wheelie...I'll see if I can get some photos taken!

I have been thinking about coming out to the Silverstate this year. I always follow what coverage we get on it over here. (Surprised that the rental companies loan the Vipers out at race time). What do I need in the USA, in the form of a race license to compete?
You must be registered for see images

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Silver State has been selling out 7 months in advance latey.

WESTCOAST JASON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Funny you should mention a 130MPH wheelie. I went out a couple weekends ago to our local street races and starting challenging the street bike crowd. After beating 4 of the top 5 guys drag racing the Top Dog comes out on some wacked out super bike and we start a drag from a 30mph roll. From 30MPH up over 150MPH we were neck and neck - I was all over the motor (Venom 650R) plus a 150NX shot and could not pull from him. Here is the kicker, HE WAS IN A WHEELIE WITH HIS BODY OVER THE FRONT OF THE BIKE! After we raced he said his bike wont stay down at full throttle so he has learned to 'hold' it from flipping - insane! He quotes his power at 250RWHP! I was shocked, anyhow, I now go out looking for him with a video camera to get this action on tape!

OP
OP
N

Nadine UK GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the first three gears I can't keep my bikes front down on WOT. Bikers are a great bunch, I love racing them in my Viper too. Wish I'd been there Jason, good show.
You must be registered for see images