Will old 3 spoke rims fit on Gen II?

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was thinking of getting some of the old 3 spoke 17" rims for tracking my car. I figure I can get some better track tires on the 17" and I can beat these things up without worrying about how they look. So, first will they bolt right on and second are these wheels good enough for tracking? Thanks!

FlyBryViper

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well, a lot of Vipers participate in Viper Days events with the original 17" wheels. If the brakes are the same diameter, then they will fit.
But, depending on class structures and allowed mods. go with a wider front wheel if you can.

OP
OP
Batboy

Batboy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cool! That's exactly what I was planning to do. I beat my stockers up a bit and don't want to completely ruin them. Since I can get these pretty cheap I thought it would be a good idea. Thanks!

Randy

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If GEN2 wheels fit on a GEN1, they should reverse.
No, this is not true.

Remember that later ('99-'02) Gen II's have 18" wheels, not the 17" wheels present on '92-'98 cars.

Gen I three-spokes will indeed fit on Vipers up until the 2001 model year with ABS. I'm told that, as of 2001, there is an interference between a 17" wheel and a bolt head - I don't recall at the moment whether it was on the front or rear.

And, in fact, this was a small reason why I opted for my '00 non-ABS car when I replaced my Gen I (that and it was a few k cheaper); I already had a set of racing tires on 17" wheels. In addition, the selection for track tires in the 18" size used to be significantly less (haven't looked lately), as well as 18" tires being more expensive than 17" tires :cool: .