Windshield Wipers Sword-fight

Discussion in 'RT/10 and GTS Discussions' started by Vpr898, Jun 24, 2018.

What needs replacing?

1. Driver's side motor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Passenger's side motor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Wiper control module

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Car's owner (please no)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Vpr898

Vpr898 Viper Owner

I have read through this forum, other online resources, and the vehicle's service manual...only to be completely unsure of how to proceed and which part(s) to replace. I have embedded a link below of a video of my particular issue as it unfolds. Any assistance would be appreciated, even if it makes me look stupid. Thank you all

(1996 GTS Coupe)

2. KyViper

KyViper Viper Owner

Try video again with the windshield wetted down. To me looks like 22 year old wiper motors and blades running on a dry windshield. Which by the way may also scratch a tough to find and replace windshield.
    Ky

3. Vpr898

Vpr898 Viper Owner

Fair, and I shall. But those are brand new blades, and the very same happens in the wet

4. AviP

AviP Viper Owner

Did you remove the wiper arms or just the wiper blades? Because it's obvious that there is some adjustment needed. I have a huge writeup in the service manual on this but it's better to narrow it down if possible.

Also, do the blades touch each other in the parked position? Here's some wiper arm basics in the parked position:
    - The driver wiper blade is over the passenger wiper blade.
    - The passenger wiper blade at the blade pivot point is 7/8" over the black cowl trim.
    - The driver wiper blade at the blade pivot point is 1-9/16' over the black cowl trim.
    - The passenger wiper blade should not touch the cowl trim while going to the park position.
    - The driver wiper blade should not touch the passenger wiper blade while going to the park position.

Finally, torque at the wiper arm might be a factor too.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  5. Vpr898

Vpr898 Viper Owner

I followed that exactly, I have the same manual. Parked blades are properly spaced from the cowl and from each other. And the torque is to spec.

Anything else you see?

6. AviP

AviP Viper Owner

Glad you have the manual. Have you done the 3 tests in the manual for the Wiper Motor, Switch and Wiring?

Here's my train of thought.
    - The driver motor seems fine on outward stroke and stop.
    - The passenger motor seems to stutter on both the outward stroke and stop.
    - The controller is fine since it is trying to do the best based on its inputs.
    - Assuming the above to be true, it's either a bad power connection or a bad syn signal at the passenger motor.

Check for connectivity and corrosion all over but specifically at 2 places:
    - terminal 5 (passenger motor) to terminal 19 (controller) for the syn signal
    - terminal 7 (passenger motor) to terminal 5 (controller) for the power signal

Make sure you have a good battery. Unfortunately, that's all I can deduce at this point. Let us know how it goes.

ViperJeff likes this.
  7. Vpr898

Vpr898 Viper Owner

Thanks, Avi

I have not had the chance to check connections yet, but I did run two back-to-back tests with the windshield wet (as requested). Those videos are below.

8. AviP

AviP Viper Owner

The passenger wiper seems to stutter in both videos while the driver wiper barely stutters in the first. I'm still calling out the passenger motor as it definitely stutters in all 3 videos.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Enthusiast Staff Member

You think its the motors that are bad or just need adjusting?

10. ViperJohn

ViperJohn VCA Member - Northeast

You may have a bad wiper control module or one of motors is going bad causing them to get out of sync. I know the fronts on Gen 2 are both minivan rear wiper motors from the same model era.