Would you recommend an ACR?

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am looking for a 01-02 GTS and have come across some ACRs.

Are there any other differences besides racing harness, no foglights, wheels, suspension and a few more hp?

I have heard the suspension is not durable, already have a set of wheels in mind, and like foglights.

Is this the Viper for me? Also if anyone has some leads they can point me to I am in FL but will travel for the right car.

I am in the process of selling or trading my Lingenfelter forged/supercharged C5 Corvette for a Viper GTS 01-02 but would buy the right car in advance if the right deal came up.

Thank you.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm guessing you want ABS and that's why your looking for an 01-02 car? What are you plans for the car?

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes I figured for safety it would be nice to have ABS as I have heard a lot of people wrecking.

I am aware that these engines aren't forged but I do not plan to modify to that level any way, maybe bolt ons and wheels is all.

Would you steer away from 01-02? I am planning to have this as a weekend driver and perhaps race a couple times a year but not competitively.

Camfab

Enthusiast
Reaction score
All the GTS's are great, but going with the newest of the generation certainly makes sense. My reasoning is that these cars are ageing and will certainly begin to need replacement parts do to time (oxidation, cycling, interior wear etc). The ABS is a nice touch and certain color combo's were specific to those years. The ACR's are quite rare and the wheels specifically demand a huge premium. The stock ACR suspension on the '01-'02 models was extremely oversprung but can easily be changed to a lighter spring combo. The Dynamic shocks do need regular service approx. every 10K if for no other reason than a leaky shock.

If you do decide to go with that vehicle I would suggest storing all the parts as these cars will certainly demand a premium over stock GTS's in the future. Good luck with your hunt.

Oh and one other small note, certain '01 vipers had an issue with running hot due to a defective impeller assembly design on the water pump. The water pumps were usually changed out for a newer design unit.

speedracervr4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would find a GTS in the color and year you want and not worry about if it's an ACR or not. ACR's will be slightly more collectable in the future, but I wouldn't buy one just for that purpose.

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys I have been waiting a long time for this and hope to make the purchase before the year is over.

My father had a 1996 RT-10 and I am still in love since.

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had an '01 ACR and liked it a lot. I chose to get rid of it because in the end I liked the open air feel of the RT/10 and SRT/10 verts better.

Jeebs

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I have an 02 ACR and enjoy it alot. Did i really need the ACR, No, and i wasn't really looking for one. I was just looking for a GTS, but the price was right on the one i bought, plus like said above, it will or might pull a higher dollar later. This wasn't a concer of mine at the time though, and still isn't really. No plans to get ride of it. As for the suspension, like said above it IS oversprung, and i have a new set of Dynamic shocks to go in, because they leak, but im not sure if im gonna. I might go with something a little softer and just put mine up and save them.
Good luck

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Jeebs, et-al

I too had an '01 ACR for 5+ years....sold it to buy my '06 SRT-Coupe in '05.

The DSI-equipped, Blue/Gold Shocks are on 2000.5 - 2002 ACRs. They run buck-board stiff due to REAR SPRINGS. The OE rear spring simply overpwers the valving, and wont let it work. Can even be unsafe, in my opinion, on washboardy / rough curving roads...especially downhill. Can be scary. Aside from the chronic leaks of DSIs, the too-stiff issue is relatively cheap and easy to change 2 rear springs. It makes a world of difference, and I recommend it to any ACR-owner of the years above.

I agree with those who suggest buying the 2001-2002 GTS that you like best. If it happens to be a GTS-ACR, and you like grey OE wheels, plan to deal with the annoying DSI Shock / re-spring issues.

kpham

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I had a 2000 ACR ~7 years & 9K miles and love it. It does help eliminating a few of the "I could have..." thoughts. Then I could have bought a surpercharged one to start with ... it had consumed me enough that 3 years ago I actually added a paxton + exhaust + header ...etc... then I could have go for a TT to begin with (may be one with front splitter, wing, diffuser ...). The list never ends, but that's probably where the fun begins.

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What are all of the exact differences between the 01-02 ACR and regular GTS? (regular haha)

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I have it under control guys I will look for an ACR if I can find one.

V

Venomiss

Hope the differences thread helped.
Remember that 01 was the only year they offered the Sapphire Blue color.

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IDM, if I'm not mistaken from your first post, it sounds like you already know what you want, a GTS. When I was in the market the thing that I was looking for most was a 99 being the last year of the forged internals, not saying the 00-02 are less reliable. There are many 00-02 making great power numbers on stock internals. If I’m not mistaken, 98 and up got textured dash, 99 and up got power outside mirrors, aluminum interior door handles, and an updated shift knob. 01-02 introduced ABS which is a plus in owning a 01-02 I think.

I would have been just as happy with an 01-02 over my 99 ACR. I say look for a 99 ACR if not having ABS is okay with you. However if you run in to a 01-02 that catches your eyes go with that. It's win win in my eyes becuase at the end of the day, you'll own a Viper! :D

OP
OP
IDM

IDM

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much power are people able to put out on the stock 00-02 engines safely? I may want to turbo the car eventually and would hate to not be able to do that, seems like I could just do some internal engine work and be fine any way at that point.

I have actually decided I want a final edition 2002 GTS ACR with no red and no yellow and no stripes LOL.

Is there a production numbers thread I can look at? I may be looking at 1 of 10 cars in the country.

7TH_SIGN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How much power are people able to put out on the stock 00-02 engines safely? I may want to turbo the car eventually and would hate to not be able to do that, seems like I could just do some internal engine work and be fine any way at that point.

I have actually decided I want a final edition 2002 GTS ACR with no red and no yellow and no stripes LOL.

Is there a production numbers thread I can look at? I may be looking at 1 of 10 cars in the country.

Well if you are aiming for some high numbers going the turbo route I'd do a complete rebuild regardless. If you are content with a couple hundred horsepower added, the 99 and down factory forged internals have been proved to be sufficient enough to handle it. I’ve read mixed opinions on the 00-02 internals and boost numbers.

I'm sure if you do a search others have shared their experiences and numbers. I'm still learning about the car myself :)

Andrew/USPWR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ACR is not important unless you want an ACR and will track the car. ABS is nice but the 2000 Steel Grey is beautiful:) IMO

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would not worry about the ABS issue if you want a forged car, and if you're going to mod it you should go for a forged car. Vipers get wrecked because of the big pedal on the right not the lack of ABS.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62