*** - Z06 still faster

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was at the Chevy dealer today picking up some parts and on the way out I couldn't resist passing through the showroom on the way out. Anyway, I get to talking with a salesman and he is telling me how they just had some big regional conference call and the info passed down was that the Z06 can beat the new 600HP 2008 Viper in 0-60. Of course, when you are in a dealer showroom you have the opportunity to pick up more misinformation than the bull they spew at the Fed meetings. He was saying, "its because of the weight difference". Didn't think much about it at the time, but if my new 2008 isn't faster I will be pissed. I have actually been thinking about switching to a Turbo Porsche, never tried one before. Any info out there?...... Is the next Z06 even faster than the current one?

GTSRboy2000

Enthusiast
Reaction score
According to a Motortrend test the 510 hp viper does 0-60 in 3.9, vs the vettes 3.8. and the viper does 1/4 mile in 12.1 vs the vettes 11.7, im SURE another 100 horse power means the new viper will be faster than the vette. it will corner, accelerate, and brake faster than the vette. the gap between the 510 hp viper and the z06 is not as huge as magazines and chevy dealers like to make it seem, so this 08 will be better

Last edited:

Vic

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
If its proven, we can still ignore it. Or shift to talk of exclusivity. Or hair pieces, gold chains, and mid-life crisis'.

"Instant Karmas' gonna get you" :)

Seriously, though, I don't think the current ZO6 has a better power-to-weight ratio than the 08 Viper, nor as broad a torque band. I seriously doubt that dealer's claim.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will see shortly! Can't wait! Besides, whatever you buy, you can always get MORE POWER! Its a never ending battle! Bring it on!

Snakester

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who could be at all surprised that a Chevy dealer would say that despite a 100HP advantage, that the Z06 would still be quicker than the 2008 Viper.:smirk:

The RWD, 617HP, 3900lb $445K, McLaren SLR managed 0-60 in 3.6 seconds, and so did the AWD, 580HP, 4050lb ,$270K, Lamborghini Murcielago.
And the RWD, 612HP, 3250lb, $450K Porsche CGT pulled off 0-60 in 3.5 seconds.

The very fastest 0-60 times for the Z06 were a tenth or so quicker than that.
And like the Saleen S7, Ferrari 599, and Ford GT which pulled off 3.3 0-60 times (once),
it's vital to understand that: A) The best times were far quicker than the average 0-60 times, and more importantly B) That performance cars in this class are not accurately judged by 0-60 times, but by 0-100, 0-150, and 1/4 mile times, which are less affected by one driver's superior launch skills, 1st gear shift points, and/or better track prep.

I do actually suspect that the combination of the '08 Viper's added power, higher redline, and importantly it's new, grippy PS2 tires, that it will be able to pull off mid-to-low 3s to 60MPH, and more importantly mid-to-low 7s from 0 to 100MPH!:2tu:

At this point it's anyone's guess, but I wouldn't take a Chevy dealer's opinion as an unbiased view to judge the relative performance of these cars.;)

For the last year the Z06 has stolen all of the automotive press, not only from the Viper, but also from the Ford GT, and away from several (more expensive) European high performance cars. But with the Corvette SS more than a year away from production, Chevy fans will likely have to watch the new Viper take back the best performing, sub-$200K, new high performance car title for at least the next year.:drive:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I was at the Chevy dealer today picking up some parts and on the way out I couldn't resist passing through the showroom on the way out. Anyway, I get to talking with a salesman and he is telling me how they just had some big regional conference call and the info passed down was that the Z06 can beat the new 600HP 2008 Viper in 0-60. Of course, when you are in a dealer showroom you have the opportunity to pick up more misinformation than the bull they spew at the Fed meetings. He was saying, "its because of the weight difference". Didn't think much about it at the time, but if my new 2008 isn't faster I will be pissed. I have actually been thinking about switching to a Turbo Porsche, never tried one before. Any info out there?...... Is the next Z06 even faster than the current one?

I like the hp competition, keeps things alive

Will be interesting to see how the Blue Devil runs against the '08 Viper:eater:

pugads651

Enthusiast
Reaction score
salesman are the biggest bull**** talker. a while back i was looking at the new gto's and i get to talking with the salesman and he starts telling me about how this pig of a car the gto can out handle out brake and out accelerate the new z0sixxes it took everything i had not to laugh in this guys face its just incredible the crap info these guys feed to people.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think of all of this as a last hurrah. Congress is right now writing the book on the cancellation of the performance wars. 35 mpg fleet (cars and trucks combined) will be impossible. Can you just see that 35 mpg fleet of Lambos, Ferraris, or US mfg's with a heavy truck bias. I think not. All non-essential will have to be cut by everyone.

Write your congressman (or better yet call tomorrow) as the deal is close to being sealed.

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cannot understand what all the confusion is about...THERE HAS TO BE some Gen 3 Vipers out there already in the 600 hp range w/ stickier tires. All we have to do is see what their current verified 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are...subract a few tenths for the 08 due to a higher red line, and you got your performance numbers! From what I have seen in the posts, most 570 to 610 hp Gen 3's are running 3.7 0-60 and 11.5 to 11.7 1/4 mile times. Using that info, I would say the 08 should run 3.6 0-60 and 11.3-ish 1/4 mile times at 127 mph or so...thats many car lengths ahead of the z06!

RX VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can respect that the guy was passionate about the vehicles he sells, but when you have to lie to do it? Maybe just a white lie to him, but he has no data to back up his claim. Time will tell. Anything for a sale I guess..

I was at Bimmer dealership about 3 years ago looking at a Z8 and the guy inside tells me it's faster than my Viper. I told him my Viper had a s/c and he said it would still beat it. I said go get the keys and I'd buy the Bimmer if it could. Of course then "we" weren't allowed to drive it. :roll: We went up the street and bought a Benz.

Last edited:

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares...it's still a Corvette. Horsepower and light weight can only make up for so much, but in the end it still looks like the other 35,000 produced each year. I don't have to worry about dealing with a high-strung motor or my roof blowing off because some genius traded quality for weight.

...and of course some zit-faced car salesman is going to tell you their car is faster than the new '08 Viper (regardless that the new Viper has never been tested), that's how they sale cars. I learned a long time ago how to tell if a car salesman is telling the truth...if their mouth is moving...they're lying.

OP
OP
T

TedK

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I always have a headache after a visit to a showroom due to the brain stress. I go into alien possession mode where my real persona is looking at the cars and taking it all in, and my outwardly persona is pretending to listen to and be interested in what the salesman is saying.

NHL2133

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the salesmen was honest about the conference call, and it was with a Chevy product rep. then that call had more:bs2: in it then the current and past political campaign season. Product reps. rarely know their own product (especially future), let alone a competitors.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
poplular mechanics mag did a test of several cars vette z06, audi R8, srt-10 ('06 model) and i think maybe one or two others. the viper did not win a single one of the individual test areas if i remember correctly, BUT when it came to best lap time on a road cours the viper was leader of the pack!!

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would anybody from GM tell a saleman anything. consider the source. That said if he was talking about the Blue Devil he may be right since it is rumored to be 650hp and will probably weight 3100lbs or lighter. I don't think too many people will be buying them since you know they will probably be 6 figures and then chevy will tack on their market adjustment which will probably be another 50g. There is your Porsche Turbo and you even get change back. They will be an awesome car, too bad they don't make all vette's like that. :drive:

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My basically stock 04 (exhaust, filter and DC programming) walked a new Zo6 from a roll on at 60 mph to 150 or so. At these speeds and gear selection driver expertise is less of a factor. In fact we ran several times and the outcome was the same.

an 08 should do fine.

CarDude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99.5 percent of the time I know more about the vehicle the saleperson is trying to sell than they do. I can't tell you how many times I have caught sales people pulling the...well I think crap.

Regarding the new Viper...don't forget about the new rear end. That alone could easily make the Viper trounce the Z06. A better limited slip rear differiential could make the current SRT launch better. Hence capturing the .1 seconds to 60.

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would guess that the better tires (PS2), higher red line and new rearend gearing in the 08's would alone close the 0-60 gap. The extra 100 hp should put it ahead. In my 06 coupe with 3.55, mopar exhaust, k&N, and MGW shifter I have run 2 different Z06's. Both the same outcome even until my first shift before 60 (he pulled about a car length) which I got back when he went to second. Same thing with second to third shifts. Both times cars were side by side when I let off about 105. I know one of the Z06's was stock and assume the other was also with the same outcome. Both were 10-15 mph rolling starts.

Last edited:

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I"ve stopped at Chevy dealers a few times to use the restroom. Every time some salesman ask if I'm ready to trade in my 98 for a new Z06 and I leave laughing.

As for performance, find me a Vette that has been pushed as much as my 97 GTS, 10 events a year for the past 7 years and was a school car before I got it, still turns low 2:20 Sebring laps with 35,000 on the odometer and has never had the valve covers off. When GM can produce that kind of bulletproof durability with 500hp then maybe I'll give them some credit.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The only thing that I can think of that would still hold the Viper back might be traction issues, and that's less likely with the new rear diff and tires ... but that would be funny if Chevy now shifted all of the talk to 0-60 where the Z06 still might compete ... but the Viper should absolutely smoke the Z06 in the 1/4 mile ...

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mags and some owners have gotten the Z06 to do 11.3-11.5 @ 125-127 mph with one that I know of [Ranger] that has gotten 11.0@ 129mph......The 08 has to surpass those [non Ranger] numbers to be king of the hill....

Also the Car and Driver Lightening lap test of a few months back have the Viper .5 slower than the Z06 around VIR 4+ mile course....That was the 06 Z06 they tested the Viper against......They were both around the 3:01 mark....Very close

The new issue out now has the 07 Z06[revised shocks etc] hitting the Lightening Lap....No Viper this time just the GT3 and Turbo Porsche and AWD R8 as its only serious challengers....The 07 Z06 did 2:58 secs....First car to break the 3 minute mark and it absolutely destroyed the Porsches and Audi......So the 07 Z06 is more potent and may actually give the 08 a serious run...The 07 Z06 hooks better and corners much better than the 06 Z06.....Teh 08 has its work cut out for it.....

BTW non of the other cars beat the Vipers time from the last Lightening Lap....yes not even the GT3 Porsche....They were close though....The 08 only real competition it seems will be the Z06 and maybe the GT2 Porsche that is about to be released...

Last edited:

black mamba1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really think DC put some serious technology in the 08, remember all current Gen 3's are basically operating on 2001-2002 technology, I think we will be impressed w/ the 08. I mean w/ 505 hp many Viper owners are getting times better or very close to the z06 BONE STOCK. W/ 90 extra horses and all the other improvements I think the 08 will catapult the Viper into a class of its own as a stock sports car! Especially one under $300,000!

2000_Black_RT10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been told from a very legitimate (personal) resource in the industry that the new SS has over 700 hp.

Take it as it is.. don't shoot the messenger, I own a Viper.

Vipera

Viper Owner
Reaction score
They seem to keep missing the point... I can make a KIA do 0-60 in 3.8. Your still in a KIA!! Pull up beside a Vette, or ANY car for that matter, and what ALWAYS happens to the other car owner... It's the same effect as when you saw Jessica Alba for the first time, Shock, Awe, delight, disbelief, confusion, in short, instant gratification!
Just like the Vetts... their still just a Vette! C'Mon guys, let's keep our eye on the ball. We own VIPERS!!! :)

Mopar426

Enthusiast
Reaction score
They seem to keep missing the point... I can make a KIA do 0-60 in 3.8. Your still in a KIA!! Pull up beside a Vette, or ANY car for that matter, and what ALWAYS happens to the other car owner... It's the same effect as when you saw Jessica Alba for the first time, Shock, Awe, delight, disbelief, confusion, in short, instant gratification!
Just like the Vetts... their still just a Vette! C'Mon guys, let's keep our eye on the ball. We own VIPERS!!! :)

Sad when exclusitivity is more important that speed. I remember when the Viper had both, hopefully it will once againe. But the second you settle for "Who cares if the Viper is slower, it's "just" a Vette" then you already lose....

And being a Lamborghini owner, many Ferrari/Lambo owners say the same about Vipers.......my point is it's all relative.

SoCal Rebell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
To me performance is measured on a road course. I know quite a few '06 Z06 owners at my local open track club. Put me in an '08 vs. the new Z06 and all he'll see is tail lights, until he blows his motor :D Willow Springs is called "The Fastest Track in the West" it is a high horsepower track, posers need not apply.

Yellow32

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think of all of this as a last hurrah. Congress is right now writing the book on the cancellation of the performance wars. 35 mpg fleet (cars and trucks combined) will be impossible. Can you just see that 35 mpg fleet of Lambos, Ferraris, or US mfg's with a heavy truck bias. I think not. All non-essential will have to be cut by everyone.

Write your congressman (or better yet call tomorrow) as the deal is close to being sealed.

In a word I believe this is wrong.

You see, CAFE is an avg and violations pay with a "gas guzzler" tax (imposed directly on the manufacturer, not consumer)

Manufacturer's will not want to pay the penalty so they will either pass it on to the consumer (as Viper's do directly on the window sticker) or they will up the avg fuel economy of their fleet. It's the upping the fuel economy that congress is counting on.

Besides that, isn't the deadline something like 2020? The only reason to set it out that far is so it can be tweaked.

Anyway, so what if the CAFE is upped, it won't matter to the "wars", what will matter is the economy and how many people are willing to buy toys.

-J

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
These threads are always interesting reads. The new 2008 Viper should outrun the C-6 ZO6, especially where it counts, on a road course and in longer contests.

It will also be fun to see the 0 - 150 mph times, the 1/2 mile and 1 mile race times. For those of you that have run these longer races, it is virtually a dead heat between the 06 Viper and the 06 Z06 now. No way the 2008 Viper doesn't smoke the Z in these longer races. 0 to 60, which is not very relevant to real performance, will likely be fairly close.

During the Nevada Open Road Challenge two years ago, my racing partner ran his 99 GTS against a new Z-06 in the 0 to 100 to 0 race. His car is a heads / cam / exhaust car, likely making 600 or slightly more hp at the flywheel. He beat the Z to 100 mph by 1 second, that's ten car lenghts.

In the 1/2 mile race, stock SRT-10's ran 135 to 137 mph. The stock Z-06s (there were several) ran the same mph.

The fall months should be fun, especially at the races.

Dan:headbang: