XM Satellite Radio

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has installed an XM Commander in an SRT-10. How/where mounted and how it was wired. Photos and description appreciated.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Dodge has OEM Satellite Radio systems for SRT-10s. you need to install a cable for it, but the jack is already in the back of the radio (RB1 included). If you are already controlling a separate CD changer with the RB-1, you have to create a "Y" connection, and the headunit will learn to control both. Dodge does not produce the correct Y yet, mainly because they are stupid...lol

PS- you could mount it on the right side of the trunk, vertically. This is where I mount the CD changers for RB-1 equipped cars...

Kelly06

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I just use the skyfi and plug it in. The antenna does work well stuck to the dash with a piece of tape. The reception is great. I chose this method because I did not want someone screwing around with the wiring and dash etc.. I can't tell you all how many times I have been screwed up by installers who don't care. Sound quality is fine. If I were to become more serious I would go for the pioneer unit with the flip screen and nav. I love the XM and have it in all cars. :laugh:

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry, I was being unclear. My specific questions were only for the XM Commander by Terk:

a. Where are people putting the display panel?
b. From where are they getting power (from the amp beneath the passenger seat?)
c. Mounting the antenna inside the dash is fine except...how does one pull the dash panel from beneath the steering wheel?

Thanks in advance

P.S. How do you insert a photo avatar in a UBB Conference?

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Why would you want to install one made by someone else, when there is a factory unit designed for your car?

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already own the Terk XM Commander kit, and I do like having an XM display that is separate from the main am/fm tuner display of the Viper. I listen almost exclusively to XM.

Alice

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you have to create a "Y" connection, and the headunit will learn to control both.

that should not work at all. The radio needs a bus connection to either module, simply tying them together will create a conflict and cause the radio to see neither. That is, if it doesn't just lock up.

Dodge does not produce the correct Y yet, mainly because they are stupid...lol

They most certainly do produce a "Y", it's called a multiplexer- and it's the only proper way to attach two devices to the radio's AUX port. It's included in the Mopar Sirius installation kit for several of the vehicled.

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score
another cool item is the Nav system for the srt with built in radio, CD player, DVD. I would assume you could pay a little more and get satlite radio option. probably an order only option.

VIPER D, had orignally posted this a while back. Can you get this unit with sat radio option?

6400nav_sys_dodge_logo-med.JPG

6400IMGP2304-med.JPG

6400nav_sys_1-med.JPG

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
VIPER D, had orignally posted this a while back. Can you get this unit with sat radio option?

yep. it has the added advantage of being able to display all of the song info on screen at once. The other radios all have to scroll the info.

SneakyPete

Enthusiast
Reaction score

yep. it has the added advantage of being able to display all of the song info on screen at once. The other radios all have to scroll the info.

Is there a difference in retail price, I know one pictured is not sat radio enabled and retailed for $1595.00.

Do you have the model number of the unit with the satelite radio.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
JIM Z- What I posted is most certainly correct. I was on the phone with Chrysler tech support, and that is what even they told my Viper tech to do. Mind you, it wasnt on a Viper, but it was with an RB-1 radio which was currently controlling a CD changer. Since they have only one slot, they told him to connect the wiring in paralell, and it will learn to control both units through the same wiring. I dont know what the reason would be, but at the time we called, they informed us that there was no "Y" that would work in the application. Keep in mind, Mopar uses 4 different types of plugs that have the exact same function in various systems for their radios. some combinations are not available, which makes no sense. The Y you are referring to may not be for this application- unless it came out recently? This occured about 2-3 months ago.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

Is there a difference in retail price, I know one pictured is not sat radio enabled and retailed for $1595.00.

Do you have the model number of the unit with the satelite radio.

All RB-1 and Stock RBQ radios have the ability to control a satellite radio setup. you do need to purchase the Sirius Sattelite Radio antenna and controller from Mopar which plugs into the head unit.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone post or e-mail a photo or drawing of the amp that is under the passenger's seat. Trying to implement this XM Commander in that location.

Thanks,

Alice

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daniel:

How soon can the OEM XM for the Viper be ordered, and is there a price as yet?

Thanks,

Alice

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The Sirius Satellite setup is already available, However I am still waiting on the price for it. My dealership was very busy today at the parts counter and they did not give me a ring back as of yet. I will make sure I get it for you guys tomorrow. I will also see if I can get a discount if perhaps 2 or 3 are ordered.

CTViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I went to a local Audio store and they told me in Nov they will have a plug in unit to my existing 04's stereo. Everything will pop up on existing radio's screen!Just need to install antenna and plug it in and its ready to go.

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daniel:

Personally, my needs are for the XM Direct that Chuck mentions. Will you have access to one of those? If so, I would be glad to pre-pay. Thanks again.

Alice

Jim Z

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I posted is most certainly correct.

Sorry, no it isn't. You need to isolate the two peripherals from each other. What happens if they decide to output audio at the same time? The radio cannot isolate two audio feeds tied together into its single input. This is the entire point of the multiplexer (MUX), to isolate the audio and bus feeds from two peripherals.

I was on the phone with Chrysler tech support,

STAR Center? You weren't talking to a Chrysler employee, most likely.

and that is what even they told my Viper tech to do.

That guy should be fired, then.

and it will learn to control both units through the same wiring.

The radio can't "learn" anything. When it powers up, it queries the bus for any modules attached to the AUX port. It enables functionality based on what modules it sees at boot-up. If you're lucky, it will see both the SDARS module and the CD-Changer without them corrupting each other's communication.

The Y you are referring to may not be for this application- unless it came out recently? This occured about 2-3 months ago.

The MUX box is application-agnostic. It's been out since 2002. It's the only proper way to connect two devices to the radio's AUX port.

I dont know what the reason would be, but at the time we called, they informed us that there was no "Y" that would work in the application.

The guy probably had minimal training and didn't know what he was talking about. Delphi makes the SDARS tuner and the MUX box, the fact that the STAR tech didn't know about the MUX just blows my mind.

Keep in mind, Mopar uses 4 different types of plugs that have the exact same function in various systems for their radios.

This is false. There are currently only two different styles of radio connectors for Chrysler radios- the 22-pin + 10-pin style used in the Viper, and the old 7-pin + 7-pin style used in the Sebring and Stratus coupes.

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
JIM Z- Hey, learn new things every day. You would think that when you are talking to STAR, they would know what they were talking about. Obviously it was not the case this time. I just figured that there was more wiring in the cables than necessary, and only some inputs were being used- which would allow another module to use those inputs instead while using the same power and ground.

And as far as the plugs go, I was also including the 8 pin found on the Changer side, and the round connector used in the 10-Disc changers.

Viper D, HEMOTOX- I just checked today, list on the Sirius Setup is 175.00, and the installation kit is 124.00. From what I gather, the Sirius subscription is around 12 bucks a month. If interested, let me know and I will see if I can work with those prices at all- the markup is pathetic on the (*&%$@% things...

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daniel:

I need the XM Direct kit...not Sirius.

Do you have information on XM Direct (different company from Sirius).

Thanks,

Alice

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
HEMOTOX- As best I can tell, the XM kit is not available for Dodge/Chrysler products as of yet. Stay tuned!

May I ask, What is your bias towards the XM kit over the Sirius kit? Is it your area...? Around here, the Sirius setup is more sought after as best I can tell...

OP
OP
V

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Daniel:

I have two XM units at the office, two at home, and one in another car, adding a sixth is the most functional way to go for me.

I feel that Viacom will buy out Sirius after this financial misadventure with the Stern Show.

XM has worked well for me. Thus, XM Direct. I heard that it was to come out in early November, so please keep me posted and thanks again.

Alice

mark777

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone installed a CD changer with the RB-1?

My local Dodge dealer is installing the RB-1 but can't seem to find a CD Changer from Dodge that comes with a SRT install kit (meaning in has the right length cable to connect to the RB-1 and Changer in the trunk)...

Does anyone have any specific recommendation on what CD changer to install and where you would locate it?

Also, they said that the Sirius Satellite install kit is not available for Viper... Any thouhts?

Thanks,

Mark

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
MARK777- Have installed a bunch of RB-1's and CD changers. I was the first to do it quite some time ago...have one in my own car too. Mount the unit on the right hand side of the trunk against the frontal wall, or mount it to the floor of the trunk. Easiest way to run the cable back there is down into the transmission tunnel, down the wiring and frame, then up into the trunk through the bottom.

The part number for the RB-1 Unit is: 82208715AC
The part number for the install kit is: 82207482
The part number for the CD Changer is: 82207483

It works with the SIX disc changer- The 10 disc changer does not have a suitable cable that I could find.

The Sirius will work in the Viper, but I dont know which install kit it is yet. As best I can tell, only difference is cable lengths.

PS- Contact me when you decide to purchase, I will surely give you a better price than your Dodge dealer. I cant to 20% off as with standard parts, but close. (accessories dont use the same mark-ups)

mark777

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan,

Unfortunately, they already ordered the RB-1 and are installing it now...

I am interested in thr Sirius Satellite Radio but the dealer is also not sure how to install properly since there is no specific install kit for Viper (cable length)...

Does the satellite require a separate head unit to control the satellite radio or can it be controlled via the RB-1? Can you see the satellite display on the RB-1 screen? If so, do you hide the satellite headpiece behind the dash somewhere?

Thanks for the info.

Mark

Viper Specialty

Legacy/Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
The RB-1 does control the Satellite Radio directly. There is no other screens and such to hide. the Antenna and control unit need to be mounted, and then the cable run to the back of the headunit in conjunction with a Multiplexer (Thanks JIM Z) in order to operate both the CD Changer and the Satellite though the CD/AUX button on the headunit.

PS- Give a me a call, or have your tech give me a call before they start the installation. I can save them a lot of time while they are trying to find a place to mount the RB-1's Navigation antenna. Also, send me an e-mail, and I will FWD you the same e-mail I sent Hemotox in regaurds to taking the dash apart CORRECTLY to swap a radio.

Thanks,

mark777

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Dan,

Thanks. I will have my local Viper Tech call you for any assistance (works at one of the local Dodge dealers here in Las Vegas).

Thanks again,

Mark

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave